99 1.6 cooling fan too keen - nav3927
My 2000X 1.6 Focus Duratec high speed fan runs even in the depths of winter after even a short traffic free journey. It does not have a heated screen and the aircon is not on at the time (I've checked that the electric clutch is disengaged). The problem dates from last summer when I changed the coolant. There seemed to be an airlock as the temp gauge went high and erratic, also the coolant level dropped. Topped up and it hasn't dropped since. But soon after that the a/c would not switch off. New switch fixed that but temp gauge was still erratic. New temp sensor in the head failed to give immediate fix but since then gauge seems to have stabilised by itself. New thermostat and cooling system flush to no avail, despite careful refill and bleed to avoid airlocks as before. Have disconnected battery for a few hours in attempt to let ECU self-reset but no change. If I arrive home with fan frantically whizzing away and switch off for a few seconds, then restart, fan is off. Very baffling.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 15:41

Focus cooling fan too keen - Screwloose
nav3927

This is a known fault on the joy-to-bleed FYDA engine and there is a lengthy Ford TSB that covers the heater return hose modifications that allegedly fix it.

See if you can get a copy and the new [lower] thermostat/T-piece/hose modification kit from your dealer.
Focus cooling fan too keen - nav3927
Thanks very much, sounds feasibke that I still have some air lurking in the system, despite many miles since last refill. Any idea where I can get sight of the TSB? Local Ford dealer were clueless when I spoke to them about problem.
Focus cooling fan too keen - Screwloose
nav

Maybe the best way is to try the parts dept. Best avoid the spotty oiks and get an experienced old hand; then ask for the hose modification kit [finis 1139359] for this problem. Then if you ask nicely, he may be able to include a photocopy of that TSB 005/2001 dated 17.05.01: [not TSB 102/2000 24.08.2000 as that was the first - unsuccessful - attempt.]

Or alternatively: buy a Ford TIS disk for pennies on e-bay. That TSB [just had a look] includes an ECU re-programme as one of the many listed steps to overcome this problem. Maybe talking to your dealer about having that download might be a good first step.
Focus cooling fan too keen - nav3927
Again you've come up with the goods, excellent and many more thanks. Luckily at my local dealer they're all old hands apart from the gorgeous lady service receptionist but that's another story! I'll get the hose mod kit and I'm sure that I can obtain a copy of the TSB, if not locally from another source.

The ECU re-programme download sounds very good, in that the fault disappears after a brief engine stop followed by a restart, so I'll go that route asap.

I'm looking forward with confidence now, maybe the jumbo jet takeoff sound effect will soon be a thing of the past. But then again it is handy to give me a few moments advance warning of the wife's return home; hmmm, must think about the pros and cons of this!

Thanks again for your wise advice.
Focus cooling fan too keen - ktl001
I have the same problem with my 1,6 99´focus.

I found out that the fan starts when the temperature in the engine hits around 100 degrees celsius - and stops again when getting below 100 degrees. (Found out by using the built in Display Test Module in the car and setting the it to show collant temperature when driving)

Did you get it fixed on your car - and what did the trick?
Further to above - mine is a 1,6 Zetec - without aircondition.
Focus cooling fan too keen - mfarrow
Did you get it fixed on your car - and what did the trick?

That user hasn't visited the forum in nearly three years.

I would speak to the Ford dealer about it. If there's a kit which fixes the problem then it's probably worth the investment. Have you too recently done a coolant change?
No have not done a coolant change recently (probably newer.....so it is time...)
I am suspecting that the problem has been there from the car was born.

I am going to talk to a ford dealer about it - however I would like to start with finding out if an ECU (PCM) update will do the trick. No need to let Ford spend hours and hours checking all sorts of things, installing all sorts of revised parts etc. which will end up in a seriously high invoice.... ;)

Was hoping that the user would receive a mail when his post was replied and reply to the post.
Focus cooling fan too keen - Dynamic Dave
Was hoping that the user would receive a mail when his post was replied and
reply to the post.

That feature was removed quite some time ago.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=70...4

Focus cooling fan too keen - siddeni
I have a very similar problem, Temp. indicates overheating when driving in high speed, and also radiator cooling fan comes on even when driving in town. All started after changing cooleant last summer. see my another post here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=60...1

No reply yet to that post though. did you manage to solve yours?
Focus cooling fan too keen - Newsstudent
I have the same problem with an X reg 2001 Fiesta 1.6 Ghia Zetec with air con. The heater was getting weaker at the end of last year. My Ford main dealer did a service and replaced the auxiliary drive belt ( 100k miles and worn) and regassed the air con. They didn't find any fault with the heater. After a week or so at New Year, the heater stopped working all together and the car started to overheat after about 15 minutes driving on load, say up a hill. The radiator and the hoses were cold and the rad fan came on. So it went back.
The garage changed the faulty coolant valve which controls flow to the heater and the heater now works very well. The car still over heats on load at say 65 mph after 15 minutes driving with radiator fan on and rad cold. They changed a module that interacts with the air con.
It still overheats so they changed the thermostat. No improvement.

I've read that this is a problem with this engine and there is a TSB 005/2001 which covers a lower temp thermostat and some hoses that link the heater flow pipes to the rad top hose. Can anyone point me to a copy of this TSB or any other solution to the problem? My Ford garage is running out of ideas and I'm running out of money. Otherwise it is a very nice car.
Thanks in anticipation for any help.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/01/2010 at 19:13

Focus cooling fan too keen - Altea Ego
Have the changed the radiator? it sounds like its blocked.
Focus cooling fan too keen - Newsstudent
Thanks for that suggestion, it might be some sort of partial or intermittent blockage.

The radiator does work if you start the car and leave it to idle. As the engine heats, after about 10 minutes, the thermostat opens and the radiator gets hot and presumably there is a flow through it. If you are driving the car it gets hot and then at some point the radiator fan kicks in, cools the radiator and it goes cold and stays cold, as if somehow the flow to the coolant valve that feeds the heater is bypassing the radiator or there is a restriction to the flow through the radiator. Perhaps a blockage that clears and reforms?
I think I will ask them to drain the radiator and try to back flush it to confirm whether it is blocked or not. The coolant is very clean.
I'm also thinking it could be an airlock.

They are also going to try the by pass modification from the heater pipes to the radiator top hose at their cost, although apparently it only applies to the Focus. I've ordered the Ford TIS disk to get hold of the TSB. I also have a Focus 1.8 Zetec from 1999 and that has a completely different coolant hose system so comparison with that isn't much use.