Mazda 323, N-reg, 1300cc - pitbull
My Mazda is going to scrap heap in June as it is written off due to a rear shunt. It is currently still driveable and legal until the MOT runs out in June. The fan belt is slipping, any advice on tightening it? Is it easy, if so how? I only want it to survive a couple more months!!!!!!
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - Falkirk Bairn
Question - Why is the car legal just now but not after June?

If the car is road legal it has to be able to pass an MoT at any time - the fact that it is tested 1 x per year still means it has to meet all the legal requirements during the 12 months.

So what would stop it passing an MoT now or in June?
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - pitbull
okay fan belt aside for now. I had a rear shunt which pushed the bumper up into the boot floor. The boot floor is creased hence why it would fail. There are no sharp edges, the number plate is still fully visible and bumper is dented but intact. My MOT is valid until June 23rd. In its current state it would fail an MOT. What is my current standing reguarding the law and driving it?
?
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - Happy Blue!
As you say, the car would not pass an MoT now, so technically it not roadworthy. However, you would only have a problem if you were stopped for whatever reason. Your insurance may be invalidated in the event of an incident.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - normd
I'm assuming you mean the alternator drive belt? This belt is easy enough if it's like 95% of cars - there'll be two bolts (or one long one) holding it onto the side of the engine and a third on a slide mount. Loosen them all off and move the alternator such that the belt tightens (you may require a bit gentle leverage) and then nip up the bolt on the slide mount. Tighten up the others - to check for tightness as a rough guide you shouldn't be able to twist the belt beyond 90 degrees.

Why would a dented boot floor cause an MOT failure? - as long as it's stucturaly sound and no ragged edges etc you'd be surprised what can pass. It's a test for fitness for the road not a beauty contest.
Cheers for the info on the alternator belt il have a look tonight and get tomorrow with any queries.

The insurance assesor said because the boot floor was creased it would fail. But I guess nter that response?

Il put it in for a test nearer june and see what happens.
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - Number_Cruncher
Why would a dented boot floor cause an MOT failure? -
as long as it's stucturaly sound and no ragged edges etc
you'd be surprised what can pass. It's a test for fitness
for the road not a beauty contest.

I agree, most of the structural parts of the rear end of the car are to do with the suspension mounting points, which are probably at and forward of the rear wheel.

Some localised damage to the boot floor near the rear of the car is probably not any cause for concern.

If you remember that most body parts only retain their shape because they are plastically deformed during pressing, a little extra plastic deformation from a crash doesn't suddenly remove all the remaining structural stiffness or strength.

If, however, you also have some gross buckling in the area of the suspension mountings, then, while it is true that you would probably pass an MOT, I would suggest that you should stop running the car.

MOT logic is not straightforward, and confuses many.

If a car fails an MOT, then in all probability it is not safe to drive. (the obvious exceptions are the political test aspects, like emissions)

If a car passes an MOT, it does not mean that the car is necessarily safe - it just means that those aspects which are inspected were found to be acceptable at the time of the test.

Number_Cruncher
MAZDA 323, N-reg, 1300cc - normd
Just a thought - if it's been written off what are you doing for insurance at the moment?