Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - Garethj
I went to look at a 1999 Galant V6 last night, it all looked good, had 99,000 on the clock and stamped up book to 70k. After that it had been done by an independent garage.

When I started it up all the lights came on as normal and then went off, but on the test drive the engine warning light kept flashing. I had a look for vital fluid levels but the only thing I could find was it was very very low on petrol. According to the book, that light means a fault in the emissions system, does anyone know the likely cause and the cost to have it fixed?

Basically I want to know if the car is worth buying!

Thanks for any help

Gareth
Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - Aprilia

I like these Galants. It has the 6A13 V6 engine (which is not a GDi engine!). They are smooth, powerful and usually very reliable.

The light you mention is the malfunction indication light (MIL) - it means that the ECU has detected a fault with the engine management system. This could one of many things. You would need to get the fault code read using a code reader (a small hand-held device which plugs into a 16-pin socket under the dashboard). Many idenpendent workshops will do this for you for a fee.
Whether or not it is worth buying depends upon what the fault is and what the asking price is!

Bear in mind that these engines need a cambelt change every 54k miles - so you have one coming up. This will cost about £250 at an independent - although use one that has done Mitsi V6's before because it is easy to get the rear cam 1-tooth out, and then you'll have a lumpy idle and slight loss of power.
Thanks, Aprilia!

It's just had a cambelt (and clutch) change. I've asked the vendor to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, put some fresh fuel in (it's been standing idle for a month) and take it for a thrash, see if it's cleared. It's the engine management equivalent of a re-boot and I've seen it work before!

Otherwise I'll phone around for a garage that's got a fault code scanner.
You can get a basic OBDII scanner off Ebay for about £40 - which is what a garage will probably charge you to read it. You could ask the vendor to pay, of course!

The 6A13 engine doesn't have any common failings apart from coolant temp sensor and idle air valve.
Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - P 2501
Could it be the oxygen sensor Aprilia? I think that would be a pretty expensive part from Mitsubishi.
Yes, could be O2 sensor. But you normally hear a 'wavering' idle and feel it gently surging back and forth on a light throttle.

£10 emissions sniff or monitoring sensor signal switching would tell you.

02 sensors are about £250 from the dealer. There is a place selling on Ebay (UMG, I think) that sells them quite a bit cheaper. Generic Bosch ones will work. Its a 4-wire sensor; two black (heater), white (ground) and blue (sig.). FuelParts UK no doubt sell them.
Thanks, chaps. Idle was very steady and there was no surging.

Thanks for the ebay tip, Aprilia; what's the difference between these 3 fault code readers?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-for-PWM-VPW-ISO-KWP-protocol-o...m

cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAN-BUS-OBD2-interface-all-protocol...m

cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAN-BUS-USB-interface-all-protocol-...m

Other than £35, £70 and £90?

Or is something like this better? cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD-II-Micro-Interface-BMW-DB-Volvo...m

They all seem to list Mitsubishi Galant from 2003, but this one's 1999.

Gareth
ps, I owe you a drink!
I think the Galant was discontinued in UK in 2003!

AFAIK a 1999 Galant would be EOBD (OBDII) compliant - but maybe double check with the dealers. I'm sure a 2000MY would be, and I can't see a 99MY being any different.

The first of the readers you list should do the trick.

You could also try the GS100 from Autel (www.auteltech.com) - costs US$70 inc. P&P from China and you can pay by PayPal. They seem to have a reasonable reputation. They also pop up from time to time on Ebay. Never used one myself, mind, I am waiting for the all-singing GS500.

Get a quick emissions sniff on the car (an MoT station should do it for £10-20 at most). If the emissions look about right then the car is probably fine and its not a major fault.
I'm surprised someone is selling with the light on - this is obviously a strong negotiating point to get the price well down!
Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - Pete M
There's a club for the VR-4 (twin turbo) versions of the Galant, and there's lots of expertise on their site for non-turbo Galants too. Check out www.clubvr4.com
Thanks for everyone's help. On a second test drive the light didn't come on (it did come on when the ignition was on so vendor hadn't just removed the bulb!)

The only thing I can think of is one of the sensors was getting a duff reading because the car hadn't been run in several weeks and the first thing I did was start it up and leave it idling for 10 minutes? There's a lot to be said for a good blast of exhaust gases over these sensors and the light hasn't come on since. A nice italian tune-up on the way home didn't do it any harm at all.

I bought it by the way! Seems like a good old motor, very smooth upto the red line, quiet when cruising and comfortable too. I'm probably the only one in the world who likes the shark-nose styling but it's a good family car.

I'll order a fault code reader as it seems a bargain for what it can do.
Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - Adam {P}
I love the Galant. Looks really nice and menacing.

Sounds like you've got a good car. Enjoy!
Mitsubishi Galant engine warning light - Pete M
Hey, lots of us love the styling, especially the VR-4 with body kit etc. Don't forget to check out Club VR-4, there's lots of friendly help and advice available. The Legnum (Galant estate) version of the VR-4 is particularly good looking. Perhaps I'm biased, as my wife owns one! She saw it and liked the white pearl paint, black leather interior and privacy glass (steady on!). I looked and opened the bonnet, and I was hooked.
Good choice of car, I hope it goes well for you.