Advice on post-crash repair - pd
Just after a few opinions on the approach to take after having just received my V70 back after a rear end collision repair.

Firstly, the WHIPS system has not been repaired so the driver's seat is still in the wrong position with the base cushion pushed forward and the back rest twisted back. The fact that they evidently weren't aware that this needed doing does not exactly inspire confidence.

Looking at the back of the car the rear tailgate is clearly higher on the left than the right and the panel gap between the door and tail lights varies signficantly between the sides. Looking down the car there is still clearly a slight buckle in the roof directly above the "c" pillar. There is a slight buckle in the lower part of the rear wing and the fuel filler does not fit flush. The rear wing has been replaced but the paint has not been carried forward onto the rear door to improve the colour match.

All in all I'm not desperately happy as at a glance you can see the car has been twisted.

My question is that, apart from the WHIPS system which obviously needs to be done, to what standard is it reasonable to expect a car (which is only 16 months old) to be repaired to after an accident? Is a visible buckle acceptable as long as the chassis is straight and am I just been overly fussy?

Assuming I'm not happy with the repair, should I approach the repairer first or approach the insurance company and ask them to have a look at it? Alternatively should I just pay for the local Volvo dealer to go over the car and express an opinion as to whether it is to an acceptable standard or not and then approach them either directly or (if it is not an acceptable standard) via a solicitor.

Thanks.
Advice on post-crash repair - Quinny100
This is clearly not acceptable - there are tolerances set out for accident repairs by the VBRA, of which the repairer should be a member. Bent metal and noticeable differences in panel gaps are certainly not right. Paint match is a difficult one, but if they've painted to the edge of the panel they should blow it in to the adjacent panel.

I would contact your insurance company in the first instance to register your complaint.
Advice on post-crash repair - Altea Ego
Ditto

Any repair on a car that young should be invisible. Inform your insurance company you reject the car in in its current state and ask for an inspection.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Advice on post-crash repair - Aprilia
Modern repair techniques mean that it is possible for a car to be returned to factory specification (i.e. all body measurements, panel gaps etc etc as when it left the factory).

Unfortunately repair jobs seem to be decining in quality - insurance companies are turning the screws on repairers (they will pay labour rates much lower than 'retail') and consequently there is a great deal of pressure on the repair technicians to push the job through as fast as possible. Indeed there will probably be some sort of bonus system to encourage this.
It sounds like your car is well off the required standard and it going to take a lot of work to rectify it. Complain to insurance co in first instance and consider getting a pro to inspect it and write a short report - cost a couple of £100's but well worth with a car of that age and value.
Advice on post-crash repair - Vansboy
This isn't what you should even consider, being acceptable standards.

If you're with a direct insurance company, they will certainly want to know, of this failing & should have an in house procedure, for dealing with the complaint.

If you're with a broker, then get him to earn his money - he sjhould be on your case straight away.

Forget creating additional costs, with solicitors etc, just get the car back to them & politely, emphasise you want it sorted!!

VB
Thanks for the advice. It was a "full funded" repair via legal expenses division of my insurers.

To be honest I was amazed they even attempted to repair it as it was self evident the whole car was twisted. I can't beleive they missed fixing the whiplash system - this is akin to leaving a discharged airbag hanging out the dash.

I will contact the insurers in the morning and I may simultanoulsy investigate getting a full inspection done. As you say, for a couple of 100 well worth it.

To futher complicate matters I was away when it was finshed and they just dumped it back in my driveway so it's just been sitting there for a week and the first time I saw it was upon my return. On the upside I never signed anything or accepted the car. I have not and have no intention of driving it until it is sorted properly.
Advice on post-crash repair - bell boy
good you havn"t signed the acceptance sheet, if roof is buckled they really shouldnt have repaired this but paid you out and sent it to market.
As said contact insurer in the morning and reject the car .
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Advice on post-crash repair - Hamsafar
I would search www.yell.com for an independent vehicle insurance assessor, I did in a very similar situation, it cost me £40-50 ish IIRC, but was money well spent, as they did a damning report in industry-standard language, and also spotted issues I had missed. They should also give you advice based on their experience.
&if things did go further, you might have some help, if you've Legal Cover, option, on your HOME insurance policy.

VB
Advice on post-crash repair - bell boy
why would you need that though vansboy?the end product is below required standard and is a rejectable item,any decent insurance company would not deny that if you can still see a roof dip with the naked eye it is a bad repair.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Advice on post-crash repair - Manatee
Unfortunately, though the insurer might agree the work is below standard I would cynically expect

(a) that when you contact them they will try to pass you back to the repairer in the first instance; and/or

(b) they will want the same repairer to rectify the work - which if it were me I would not want.

If they see an independent report, they will assume that you will get it checked properly, therefore will be less likely to 'make it look right'. And, as has already been said, your independent adviser may well find something you could not expect to know about yourself and could have missed.

Also consider your preferred outcome - would you prefer it to be written off? They may be prepared to accede to this if in prefernce to a dispute/Ombudsman complaint/bad PR, if they think you are serious and organised.

I would however speak to the insurer immediately - perhaps tell them that in the circs you feel you must have an independent report, and that you expect them to pay for it if it is found that there are significant shortcomings - you will get an idea of your position from their response, and they might even surprise you. Just reserve your rights throughout.

All IMHO of course as a consumer - I am not a real lawyer.
Advice on post-crash repair - Aprilia
Buckle in the roof is a really tricky one. Hard to do much with it other than to re-skin. I speak with experience here.
This is not going to be cheap or easy to rectify.
I have contacted the insurer and, needless to say, contact the repairer was their first reply. I have not done so and instead written to them formally rejecting the car.

I have also had a Volvo garage look at it this afternoon who I think were genuinly shocked. They wrote me a quick report free of charge stating that the repair was unacceptable and substandard.

I've sent the whole lot off but I predict a long argument ahead. As it stands I have a V70 which cost £28k just over a year ago essentially worthless and undrivable sitting in my driveway all through an accident which wasn't my fault. On the whole feeling a bit miffed about the whole thing.
Advice on post-crash repair - Blue {P}
I wish you could let us know which bodyshop repaired the car so that we can all know to avoid it totally!

Good luck with this, it doesn't sound like something that's gonna get sorted out quickly, hope you get there in the end!

Blue
Advice on post-crash repair - runboy
Following my first accident, hence the first time I had to deal with this sort of thing, I let my insurer take my damaged car to its nominated repair shop, a place was not tied to any car marque, just a large industrial unit with its only purpose to churn out cheap car repairs.

It took 2 months to do a £3k repair. They forgot to order replacement air bags. Thats another story.

Anyway the repair was awful, with panel fit looking like a chimp had screwed the car back together. Told the insurer who sent out a member of its staff, who looked at the repair, said it was awful and asked me where did I want to take my car. I said to the dealer I bought it from.

Car was fixed to its original condition. The insurer said they would not pay the original repair company. So a result for me, but now I know not to take my car to an insurer approved centre for repair-I always take it to my dealer.
Advice on post-crash repair - Bill Payer
So a result for
me, but now I know not to take my car to
an insurer approved centre for repair-I always take it to my
dealer.

The downside of doing this is that if you have a problem, you really are on your own - the insurance company won't help because you didn't take it to 'their' repairer.
Advice on post-crash repair - DougB
Hi -

I had the same experience as runboy. Recommended repairer did the body work and insisted that the car had been checked mechanically. I was suspicious and took the car to my local VW dealer.

They inspected the rear suspension and checked the tracking. Outcome was they said the car was dangerous and refused to let me drive it.

They prepared a report which I sent to the ins. co. who without a murmur approved the repairs. Without an apology as well I might add.

The original repairers refused to discuss anything with me.

Seems like the best advice pd is to get an independent report and an estimate from someone you trust. Your insurers may well write it off.

Regards DougB
Thanks for all the posts. As I had no contract with the repairer, never saw the estimate, never agreed the list of things to be repaired, do not know how much it cost and never spoke or dealt with the assesor I can't see how the insurance company can say it is between myself and the repairer. Had I obtained quotes and contracted them myself then it would be a different matter.

I've sent a copy of the basic report from the Volvo repairer together with a list of the most major things wrong plus a stinking letter and advised them I will not accept the car even after an rectification until it has been inspected by a 3rd party.

To rectify the problems will probably cost more than the orginal repair cost. To be frank I thought the car was impossible to repair right from the start and I have half been expecting problems. As it turns out I think the car was straighter after the crash than the repair!

Just a thought, but did the damage happen, whilst the vehicle was less than 12months old?

I thought most policies, these days, would give you a new car, if the damage was substantial - which yours certainly sounds it was - & was within this first years life.

VB
Advice on post-crash repair - Union Jack
PD Unless I am missing something, surely the fact that this accident was not your fault, and that the other driver's insurance company will presumably be picking up the tab, must have some bearing on the outcome of this unfortunate case? If this is correct, then your insurance company has even less excuse for being so unhelpful.

Fingers crossed for a satisfactory outcome.

Jack
Advice on post-crash repair - L'escargot
The problem with taking a car back to the original repairer is that it's possible that their standard of workmanship will be just as bad the second time.
--
L\'escargot.
Advice on post-crash repair - Alyn Beattie
Something similar happened to me a few years ago. Insisted the insurance company paid for an independent assessment. Work was substandard, had it redone by a dealer recommended bodyshop.

These "approved" garages work down to a cost and not up to a standard.

If the accident was not your fault don't forget your claim is against the other motorist. Any problems sorting this out, see a solicitor and issue court proceedings against the other party, not his insurer, for the full value of the car and all associated costs.

--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
Advice on post-crash repair - L'escargot
see
a solicitor and issue court proceedings against the other party ...... for the full value of the car and all
associated costs.

But be aware that you can't get money from someone that has neither money nor assets. There's no point in throwing good money after bad. I speak from bitter experience.

--
L\'escargot.
Advice on post-crash repair - Peter D
Take it to a Volvo repair centre and get a written report. I'm not saying they are good at repairing Volvo's I suggesting they will be the most critical. Submit the report and loads of digital photo's on a CD to the insurance company requesting an inspection within 7 days and some action. I have assumed you have the car in your possesion !! Regards Peter
As far as I am aware there is no dispute or issue with the other party or their insurer. The issue is with my insurer and their approved repairer. They're getting the money of the other party anyway so why the hell they couldn't do the job properly I don't know. I can't blame the repairer at the moment as I don't know what the insurance assesor told them to do - they might have just done what they were told to do.

I'm awaiting a response from them - I'll give them to the end of the week and then get tougher. They might turn out to be completely reasonable - we will see.

I have the car although I am not using it. I have bought a temporary car to use as I am expecting this to drag out.