How long should we keep the Focus? - local yokel
SWMBO bought a 51 1.6 LX Focus auto with 40k in August 05. FFSH, ex Motorbility lease car, paid £5,000 from a Ford dealer.

She'll do about 10k pa, mostly short (10 miles) to very short (3 miles) trips. It gets used most days. I'll change the oil myself every 5k, and get it serviced to schedule, prob at the dealer, who is not expensive.

When should we change it? 2 years, three, or run it into the ground?

On a side point, we live at the end of a muddy track which can be very wet in winter, so it's often parked up quite wet underneath. This hastened the end of a Mk3 Golf. Any rust issues with the Focus models to date?
How long should we keep the Focus? - Downesi1
I currently have a 2001 Y plate focus 2000cc with 130k on the clock. You will be fine, the care will last for atleast another 10 years if you look after it.....
How long should we keep the Focus? - MoneyMart
If it was me, I'd invest in an underbody steam clean a couple of times a year and a re-wax once a year...

I would also consider taking it for a deliberate run once a week (20 miles or so) to avoid sludging up the engine from the short runs.

Your exhaust will probably die young due to the condensation not clearing on the short runs, so you might want to budget for an exhaust (and possibly cat) at some point. Also keep an eye on the battery in the winter, as 3 miles won't put back in what it takes out to start-up when you've got the lights/demister/fan/etc on as well.

Not sure how the auto gearbox will take to constant 3 mile trips... possibly see issues with it never warming up properly... perhaps someone with more knowledge will comment...
------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle