Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - SkyDragon
Hi people,

I have a problem with my Honda Prelude - I installed an alarm yesterday, and the car started fine. I activated it, woke up this morning to go to work, and the car wouldn't start. The starter motor just keeps rotating, but never starts. Even the sound the engine makes while just about to start, that doesn't happen, it just keeps rotating with no hint of starting. I checked all connections, and they're all fine. I even took alarm out, but to no avail. The "Check engine" light is on on the dashboard. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Does the alarm have an immobiliser function or is it just a noise maker? How long did you run the engine for when you last started it?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
It's just a basic alarm, no immobiliser. Also, the car was started for around 5 mins. Is there any way to find out what's wrong?
One more thing - The car wouldn't start after I connected the alarm to the button that you press when your car has broken down. However, I disconnected alarm from it, but it still wouldn't start, so maybe I fried something?
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
One more thing - The car wouldn't start after I connected

the alarm to the button that you press when your car
has broken down. However, I disconnected alarm from it, but it
still wouldn't start, so maybe I fried something?>>

Not sure what 'button' you mean, the fuel pump inertia switch?
Where is it located, what does it look like and how did you connect the wire to it? Also what make is the alarm?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Sprice
Sounds like he means the hazard warning light switch, as its a permanent live. Might just be a coincidence that you fitted an alarm and now it wont start...have you checked the usual, such as is there a spark?
Yeah, that's what I meant, the hazard warning light. Was early in morning, so forgive me.

There were two brown wires from the alarm that had to be connected to the directional lights, and six wires connected to the hazard warning light. I connected one brown wire to the live wire on the hazard warning button, and connected the other brown one to the remaining five. When arming alarm, all lights outside the car flash as normal. Also, the button works fine too. Just that the car won't start. I've tried uninstalling alarm to way it used to be, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - David G.I.Davies
I'd suggest you have a blown fuse from the alarm fitting episode.Check all fuses especially for engine management.There were four or more generations of Prelude,which year and engine is yours?
My Prelude is from 1992, a "K" reg (Newer model). It's a 2.0i coupe.

I've checked all the fuses, but they're all fine. Anything else to check?
I don't know whether I should bother, but I just checked the fuse box again.

There is a group of the normal, small fuses, about 10-15 of them (5-20A ones connected to various things including radio, lights etc), there's a group of 5 slightly bigger fuses ranging from 50-100A, and 4 big blocky ones.

I checked the small normal ones, and they're fine.

The five slightly bigger fuses that connect to various things are fine, except one (The IG SW one) - It isn't broken or anything, just coloured black, while the other 4 are still copper coloured. Does a black fuse mean it's gone?

Also, how do I check the big blocky ones? They have 4 pins under them, and no way to see the fuse inside?

Thanks in advance.
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Peter D
I suspect the blackness is either a burnt fuse or it's contacts have been very hot and that is why you have lost power. However tyou say it is IG SW i.e. ignition switch which would explain a lot although without power at the switch I would not have expected the pre-engage of the starter to operate although that can explained if it is driven via a relay and a seperate 12 volt feed. I would taet the fuse either with a meter or a car bulb in series with the removed fuse and a length of wire and use the car battery to light the bulb if the fuse is good. If you do not understand that then you are out of you depth and need some help like an auto electician. Regards Peter
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Dynamic Dave
Also, how do I check the big blocky ones? They have 4 pins under them,

From your description, these are relays and not fuses.
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - David G.I.Davies
To continue with this,you have two fuse boxes to check the underbonnet one you mention and the underdash one on drivers side lower kick panel(you don't mention this).In the latter fuses 2,4,19 and 23 are critical.Are you absolutely sure fuse 43 in underbonnet box is OK? One further question:does the engine management light or 'check engine' light come on when you switch on the ignition?If not keep checking until it does.
The "Check engine" light comes on.

I checked all fuses thoroughly (Underbonnet and in-car) - In both, all fuses are fine. Everything in the car works (Radio, clock, dashboard lights up, air con, everything), and the engine turns, just that it doesn't start up.
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - T Lucas
I have had a couple of Preludes where the distributor has just given up without warning.
Where is the distributor located? And how would I be able to find out if it's gone?
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Railroad.
Have you checked for an HT spark at the spark plug? If so when you crank the engine can the rev counter be seen to flicker? If it definitely doesn't the ignition module could be faulty.
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Railroad.
>> If so when you crank the engine can the rev counter
be seen to flicker? >>

Sorry, I meant to say if NOT....
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Kevin
Is this the alarm that you bought off eBay last year?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?m=388354...e

The one with no instructions and a confusing circuit diagram?

The one where you are "generally brilliant at electrics" but didn't understand what they meant by "+" output?

Sorry, but I suggest you get a competent auto-electrician to take a look before you do any more (potentially expensive) damage.

Kevin...
Honda Prelude Engine doesn't start - Civic8
Cant say where you went wrong, but connections dont sound right.would need a circuit diagram of alarm system to tell whats happened,ie so many wires to hazard warning..very much doubt it.

what make and model is alarm system
--
Steve