Daewoo Matiz - John24
My SIL acquired 02 Matiz 0.8 about a year ago. Unfortunately she didn't ensure she got the owner's handbook. There is now a yellow 'Check' light showing permanently on the dash, the car seems to be running OK and she is unsure what to do. Is this a dealer issue or can a Matiz owner throw some light on what the problem can be? TIA.
Daewoo Matiz - Dynamic Dave
Has the yellow light also got a picture on it? If it resembles an engine block, or lightning strike (or both) then that's the ecu fault light.

You need to get the fault code read out by someone with a fault code reader to establish why it's on.

It may well still run ok, but if for instance the light is on because of an emmisions problem, and the car is using too much fuel, the cat converter could suffer in the long term.
Daewoo Matiz - circlip
Same problem has occurred on my 2001 Matiz, although it runs ok, it is a little rough on tickover. I took it to a Daewoo/Chevy dealer and they charged me 30 mins labour (£38) to plug a diagnostic tool in (the socket or Data Link Connector) is under the glovebox, directly centre) and tell me the code logged in the car's computer. The code related to a failed ERG valve, for which they wanted £208 to fix. I declined to be had by these highwaymen in overalls and looked at my Ebay purchased, Matiz workshop manual on CD and discovered the ERG valve can be changed in about 30 minutes using nothing more than a screwdriver and 10mm spanner. I found another ERG valve at a breakers for £35 and will fit it tomorrow.
Daewoo Matiz - John24
Many thanks for prompt responses. The lamp does show an engine block, so I guess it's off to the nearest dealer for a code check.
Thanks again.
Daewoo Matiz - John24
Took the Matiz to a local garage which had a codereader to suit (nearest Chevy/Daewoo dealer about 15 miles away) but all he could get was 'communication failure'. He couldn't figure out why this message kept coming up and was adamant his codereader was OK, so it looks like a long round trip to nearest dealer for testing!
Daewoo Matiz - John24
Found a code reader on offer from a co. in China for US$77, delivered. Fault code shows problem with EGR valve as per Circlip's posting above (P1403) and am having someone check electrics to identify cause before changing valve. Is this coincidence or is the EGR valve a common problem?
Daewoo Matiz - John24
Message for Circlip. My CD copy of Matiz manual has contents 1B14 to 1B75 missing. Is your copy same?
Daewoo Matiz - buzbee
John24: Chinese fault-code reader.

I mentioned on here some time ago that China looked to be a likely place to find a low cost code reader but, until now, had not read of anyone successfully buying one. Can you tell us what you bought and where from?
Daewoo Matiz - Aprilia
buzbee

Autel (www.auteltech.com) do decent code readers at lowish prices and they take PayPal. I have a GS100 basic code reader, but am waiting for a price on their GS500 which handles CANbus etc.
Daewoo Matiz - John24
Reader I got was Geniscan 100, basic but points you in the right direction. Autel site is addressed as being in China but reader came from California.
Daewoo Matiz - buzbee
Aprilia:

Thanks for that. I see from their site they also take VISA.
$60 for a GS100 looks hopeful.
Daewoo Matiz - John24
After having the EGR valve off the engine several times for cleaning with carb cleaner, with the same fault code coming back up after 2/3 days running each time, I obtained another valve from a breaker, but, on fitting, got the same fault reading,(P1403). I hadn't cleared the fault code from memory. Could this be the cause of the fault code coming up again?