focus estate 1.8i 15" 16" wheels differe - rob baker
once my bust gearbox estate is back on the road i will need to tax it fairly soon. following the hj links to a site that tells you the new road tax rates i discover that if i have 15" tyres i pay £140 per annum, but £155 per annum on 16" tyres. can i fit either size tyre to the same wheel? should i go for 15"? or does this badly affect fuel consumption? thanks for any help
Re: focus estate 1.8i 15" 16" wheels dif - Ronnie Courtney
Can't wait to see who is brave enough to grasp the nettle, and give a carefully considered reply to this interesting conundrum!

Ronnie
Re: "Grasp the Nettle" - Ronnie Courtney
I should have added that "nettle" could easily stand for "north eastern t***** talking lunacy endlessly".

*We* know who's awake around this time, don't we, Sid?

Ronnie
Johnny Foreigner needs clarification - ian (cape town)
rob baker wrote:
blah blah... new road tax rates i discover that if i have
> 15" tyres i pay £140 per annum, but £155 per annum on 16"
> tyres.

This is a new one to me. Does this mean they calculate tax on the SIZE of the tyre?

I understand differing rates for engine size (we do that here), gross vehicle mass, etc.

Or am I missing something?
Any clarification greatly appreciated.
Re: Johnny Foreigner needs clarification - markymarkn
You cant fit 16" tyres to 15" wheels and vica-versa.

The wheels are different sizes!?!?!?

Mark.
Just leave it alone is my advice - Flat in Fifth
Methinks the coypu stew might be getting replaced by troll casserole with jus de mushroom magique.
Re: Just leave it alone is my advice - Rswipes
Absolutely no help whatsoever
Re: Just leave it alone is my advice - Ronnie Courtney
Ian - Just so long as you're only *eating* it! No, you're not missing anything, unlike a certain someone IMHO. As hinted at in my posts, the "Subject" of FIF's post almost certainly provides the necessary clarification.

BTW - particularly liked your "gruff" response to my "kidding" about leather.

Regards

Ronnie
Re: Just leave it alone is my advice - Flat in Fifth
Enough of this nanny state, I'm off with my billy can to make a brew.
Re: Just leave it alone is my advice - Honest John
For the time being they can't check up on this. So the car will continue to be taxed at the CO2/VED rate they have down for it. Only when MOT stations and the DVLA get sophisticated will an MOT station be able to inform the data bank of a change to the car's spec that affects its VED rate. And that's light years away.

HJ
Re: focus estate 1.8i 15" 16" wheels dif - rob baker
anyone interested i started at hj faq which led to: www.dvla.gov.uk/newved.htm ,
which led me to:
www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk//ved_calculator.asp

i still dont understand why different wheel sizes are charged different amounts of road tax.
regards rob
Re: focus estate 1.8i 15" 16" wheels dif - Rob S
Looking at the carfuel data site the Focus with 15'' wheels is rated at 184mg/km and the one with 16'' wheels is 186mg/km which accounts for the differing bands. Likely that the greater rolling resistance of the wider tyre increases fuel consumption and therefore increases the emissions.

Hope this helps.

Rob S
Re: focus estate 1.8i 15" 16" wheels dif - Brian
You're right FIF.
The lunatics have been put in charge of the asylum.
This whole banded VED is a total nonsense because, as stated on another topic recently, CO2 is virtually directly proportional to fuel consumption, so the tax link is already there.
Trouble is, once systems are in place they tend to stay, however crazy they are.