focus-cambelt - caesar
Hello.
I would value some advice from people with more knowledge than myself as to what needs to be replaced when my car goes in for a cambelt a week on monday.It's a 1.8 focus estate and at the moment ford are changing,timing belt,tensioners,aux belt.anybody think of anything else as while its stripped its going to be cheaper for me(i hope).
Cheers.
focus-cambelt - Galaxy
They must change the Pulley Wheels as well, unless this is what they mean by "Tensioners" (plural!)

You could change the water pump as well. On this engine it isn't driven by the cambelt so won't wreck the engine if it does sieze up, well, not by breaking the cambelt, anyway. I believe that the cambelt has to be removed to change the pump, so, if this is the case, it might be worth doing.

Don't let them charge you any extra labour for changing the Auxillary Belt; it's included in the same job as it has to be removed to change the Cambelt anyway, and the only extra labour involved is for the technician to collect a new Auxillary Belt from the stores! I say this because I do know that some Ford Dealers have funny ideas about this sort of thing.

As a matter of interest I just wonder what mileage your Focus has done?
focus-cambelt - trymybest
It is possible to change the water pump on a focus without having to take off the timing belt.The pump is driven off the poly belt,on the 2lt focus the impeller assembly is bolted onto the casing.This can be changed separately.
focus-cambelt - auld reekie
Don't know nothing about changing cambelts but I have 1.8 focus too, If I'm not being too nosey can I ask you what the whole cost would be.

Thanks
focus-cambelt - caesar
It is a 2000w reg just clocked 80000.I must say if i had owned the car before now it would of had the belt kit done at 50/60000.
10 years/100000 miles is rubbish as far as im concerned.
As for the price well!!
It keeps going up,190 for the belt&tensioners,aux belt put 20 on so the price stands at 210.Now i have just got to find out about these pulley things.Anything else that somebody thinks should be changed then the price is going to get stupid(but has to be done).
focus-cambelt - henry k
It is a 2000w reg just clocked 80000.
I must say if >> i had owned the car before now it would of had the belt kit done at 50/60000.
10 years/100000 miles is rubbish as far as im concerned.
As for the price well!!

Garages love this approach. These real money spinners help keep them going.
focus-cambelt - Galaxy
The 100,000 miles or 10 years isn't rubbish. People have previously posted on here that these Ford Zetec Cambelt set-ups do last 100,000 miles plus, including people who are employed in Ford dealerships! Much depends upon the sort of journeys your car has done, be they motorway miles or shopping trips.

My own Mondeo, which has the same Zetec engine as your Focus, has currently done 92,000 miles on it's original Cambelt and still going strong. I expect that, now I've written this, it will go "Bang" the next time I drive it!!!

I've obtained a couple of quotes for fitting a complete Cambelt Kit and they were around the £240 mark, that's in Essex, the price will vary a little depending upon whereabouts in the country you are.
focus-cambelt - auld reekie
Garages love this approach. These real money spinners help keep them
going.

Speaking to a friend yesterday on Dealers and rip off repair prices now. He was a chief engineer on ships for many years and at the time there was nothing he did'nt know about any kind of diesel engine, he could always devise a workaround on his diesel cars without having to pay through the nose at dealers. Nowadays when someone asks his help on a car he is ashamed to say he can't do it because of the electronics involved.
focus-cambelt - badgerdisco

I don't understand why people are so quick to rubbish the manual that comes with the Focus!

I have a 10 Year old Petrol 1.6 Focus with 98k on the clock and am about to get the belt changed. Surpsirse surprise, it didn't just fall to pieces 40K miles below what it says in the manual!

focus-cambelt - bpb1
I think your right to change early, the Garage I used to use thought they had changed the cambelt on my Modeo Deisel, I began to doubt it and before I could get the car checked it failed (actually it was the tensioner roller that went first but after that it was academic) cost, a mere £1027.00, If your not sure change it it could still be cheaper!
focus-cambelt - P 2501
before I could get the car checked it failed (actually it was the tensioner roller that went first but after that it was >>academic)

How many cambelts fail because of the actual belt itself snapping? It seems so many posters on here have failed belts due to siezed water pumps, pulleys or tensioners. In my limited experience of cambelt changes it has always been these parts that cause problems rather than the belt itself.

focus-cambelt - andyj26
hello mate
ford reccomend that the cam belt be changed at either 100,000 miles or 10 years which ever sooner but it also depends on the history of the vehicle and how its being driven from memory the book time for this job is about 2 hours 15 mins as for parts to be replaced dependent on what year it is if its later than 01/99 then it does not have a lower guide pulley so at the most the cambelt ,cambelt tensioner ,upper guide pulley
auxillary drive belt and tensioner if it pre 01/99 all of the above plus the lower guide pulley also for piece of mind no matter what year it is water pump i always end up replacing them no matter what year it is hope this helps
focus-cambelt - Railroad.

Just to add to what's already been said. Ford Zetec engines have camshaft and crankshaft sprockets that are free spinning. By this I mean none are pegged to the shafts. This means you must lock the crankshaft and camshafts in the correct positions using the appropriate special tools and the belt tensioned. Then the pulleys must be correctly torqued and the tools removed. The engine must then be turned at least two revolutions and the timing re-checked. There is no other way to be sure the valve timing is correct, and so if you are in any doubt you should not attempt this job yourself.