Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Jase
Hello Again,

Picked up the Primera 2.2DCi on Friday. £50 valet simply amazing and car looks fantastic (for a diesel estate!).

Car is an ex company car 03 SE spec estate with the 2.2 136BHP DCi engine. Has done 75k with Full nissan service history. Last service done at 72k. Great. Can't go wrong at £4400.

Day 1 - great. Wife happy.
Day 2 - great. We both love it and will be perfect for baby.
Day 3 - plumes of white smoke out the exhaust and no turbo boost.

Call the AA man. He says white smoke = oil. Checks something in the turbo area of the engine (I am non technical). Finds oil where he shouldn't and tows me to the Nissan garage where I will check in tomorrow for analysis and repair!

So big question I am scared of asking is how bad in terms of £'s could this be? New turbo fitted =£????.

Also, the car is less than three years old and has been serviced by a main dealer according to the schedule. Although now out of warranty due to mileage (60k max) its still not three yrs old. Is there any chance Nissan might contribute to the cost because of such an expensive bit going wrong just out of warranty? If so how might I find out?

Thanks again.

ps. Love the car. Will love it more when its fixed and proved itself!

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Happy Blue!
Certainly good chance of Nissan contributing a major part of the cost as within three years and fully serviced by Nissan dealers.

Other than that I have no idea, but if its the turbo, it may be available on exchange and a simple bolt out and bolt in job.

Hope it's 'good' news.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - machika
Did you buy it at an auction?
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - bell boy
AA man wrong................white smoke is unburnt fuel or water in system is the white smoke excessive or is it due to the valet you had and somehow being sucked in from airbox ? and being burnt? does the temp guage go up to red is the water system banging?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Hello oldMan,

Thanks for the reply.

Don't think valet is the culprit - car has completed 100miles+ since and prior to the failure (which was a noise from under the bonnet) no evidence of smoking at all or any other symptons for two days. Also, the engine bay has not been steam cleaned (good in my view).

Temp guage not going up to red and no other new and unusual noises that are obvious to me other than extreme lack of go and white smoke. Sure its turbo only at this point and not head gasket jobbie

AA man may be wrong but he did find oil somewhere in a pipe that shouldn't have any! Could have been between the air intake and the intercooler I think? (shoot me down if this is plain rubbish)
white smoke definitely excessive!

{wishes this forum software had an Edit button!}
no but at 100.000 a bit of oil in the pipe is acceptable if the turbo had blown then the smoke would be blue,as its white i suspect a head gasket personally,as you bought it from your company 3 days before as all good?then you could always reject it as unfit for purpose?but see what agent says first .
--
Looking at my first post it does say plumes of white smoke but it is more grey smoke and its not steamy/cloudy, more slightly angry.

The car idles fine, there are no warning lights on and coolant temperature didn't move upwards at all (drove for 3 or 4 miles after the incident). No smoke at idle btw, just under load.

I honestly feel its turbo related more than head gasket as it was an instant failure and then no turbo, just odd turbo noises.

will report back tomorrow. Am not happy obviously!
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Group B
AA man may be wrong but he did find oil somewhere
in a pipe that shouldn't have any! Could have been between
the air intake and the intercooler I think? (shoot me down
if this is plain rubbish)

My Saab TiD (108k miles) has a thick black residue on the inside of the pipe from the intercooler to the intake side of the turbo. I've always assumed this is normal and due to the EGR system (exhaust gas recirculation). I've seen the black stuff mentioned before on a Saab forum and it was not a point of concern there.

:o)
Machida - bought from my company, hence the good price (falls about laughing now!).

Espada III - do I just ask the dealer (not the selling dealer in Southampton, but my nearest dealer in Bournemouth where the car is) about the possibility of getting a contribution from Nissan?

Thanks guys
oh and obviously very sorry for you .
--
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Dude - {P}
This definitely sounds like classic turbo failure symptoms and unfortunately if there was visible oil around the turbo area, the catalyst may need replacing as well, which could be an expensive repair.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - blue_haddock
Now i know there has been some debate on here recently as to whether the Nissan 2.2dCi is a pure nissan unit or derived from the renault engine but i'm sure that the 2.2 Renault dCi has quite a problem with turbo's dying - possibly worth investigating.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - scott1s
There is a recall to rectify just this issue. Mention recall number YD22 100KW Engine Managment to the dealer. This should get you off the hook from the bill. Let us know how you get on.
See here exerpt from this very site:-
Recalls
26-11-2002: During production, conveyor may have damaged front left hand tyre. Tyres on 2,758 cars to be inspected and replaced if necessary. April 2003: Dealer TSB to replace rear anti-roll bar bolts on early production of Primera IV because not long enough. 8-12-2003 Recall of 108,563 1.8 and 2.0 litre petrol engines built 1998 - 2003 over angle and position sensors which can cause engines to stall and/or fail to re-start. Sensors to be replaced. September 2005: Recall of DCIs for reprogramming of ECU. The recall no is YD22 100KW Engine management Causing lack of power, poor acceleration response, black smoke from the exhaust and / or whistling noise. December 2005: "Investigations have confirmed that the operating efficiency of the parking brake cables are potentially lower than specification. In such instance the driver may be unable to apply sufficent effort to the parking brake to secure the vehicle on an incline.'
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Happy Blue!
"Espada III - do I just ask the dealer (not the selling dealer in Southampton, but my nearest dealer in Bournemouth where the car is) about the possibility of getting a contribution from Nissan?"

Yes. Go along with your fully stamped service book to the dealers and tell them what has happened. They will probably diagnose it quickly given what you said. Then say 'I know thew car is out of warranty becase of mileage, but its still less than three years old. Can you ask Nissan UK for a contribution?'

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Car (and warranty book!) with Nissan dealer. No news yet. Have tentatively asked about goodwill payment. Will mention the recall code aswell when I hear the full damage. Also will ask that catalyst is checked.

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - RichardW
"AA man wrong................white smoke is unburnt fuel or water in system "

I disagree, and think AA man is right - failure of the exhaust side oil seal in the turbo results in it spraying oil into the hot exhaust where it vaporises and leaves the exhaust as white smoke. Lots of it.

Hope it gets sorted for not too many £££!!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - vmturbo

With diesel engines (all types) there are three colours of smoke! Blue smoke indicates a worn engine and engine oil being burned. Black smoke indicates excess fuel.

White smoke is the interesting one as it can indicate that the fuel is being injected too late and not fully burning owing to insufficient time. It can also occur if the timing is OK but the fuel droplets are too large (large drops take longer to burn) Steam can also be confused with white smoke.

Suggest that owners of these cars invest in an Emergency Cut-Off Valve or Chalwyn Valve as this could work out cheaper than having rods go through the block.

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Collos25

I don´t believe this mail a seven year old subject and a weird answer suddenly appears.

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Lud
but if its the
turbo, it may be available on exchange and a simple bolt
out and bolt in job.
Hope it's 'good' news.
--

I draw Espada's comment to yr attention, Jase. If the main dealer can't squeeze any money out of Nissan and you don't have a relationship with the dealer yet, might it not be possible to avoid paying the sort of premium main dealers charge by finding an exchange or good-quality pattern unit and getting a competent independent mechanic to install it? I don't want to interfere really but it occurs to me that you might be able do save several hundred pounds that way, without taking serious risks. Does rather depend on whether you know a good independent, assuming you aren't a gung-ho spanner person yourself.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - artful dodger {P}
The following site is useful to help diagnose a problem from diesel smoke.

www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Pezzer
Jase, isnt this car under warranty from whoever you bought it from ? I know when our Fleet company sells off cars they sell them with warranty. The warranty may be full of exclusions but it might be worth checking.

Cheers P
Think they are "sold as seen". however for only two days ownership and then potentially large bill I have asked for exceptional circumstances to be considered. Fit for purpose and all that.

Still no news from Nissan yet on actual diagnosis and cost to fix. When I hear the news and found out whether Nissan UK might help with a goodwill gesture I will progress things accordingly (i.e desperately!).

Was lovely to drive for 2 days...

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - T Lucas
The company my wife works for (major PLC) used to allow employees to buy the ex-fleet cars,as seen etc,and very good value they were,much cheaper than the local dealerships etc.
This was the way they disposed of many cars each year since time began.
Then about 2 years ago there was some trouble with people moaning to the fleet manager about the cars that they had bought 'as seen'and its 'not fair'and 'if i had known it was like that'and wanting the company to either pay for repairs or give them their money back.
Well now that particular perk has gone,all cars,even the one that you drive go to BCA an sold thru the auction.
Shame really,beacause over the years have had some very nice goo value cars.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Pezzer
I'm more than happy to be shot down here, but dont I remember something about the Sale of Goods Act or more accurately recent changes to it in respect of used cars (probably in this forum) - perhaps another reason why the company withdrew.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say here T-Lucas? Are you basically saying tough luck Jase, that's the way the cookie crumbles? I think 2 days maybe a little on the low side for me to be able to swallow that without a fight? I've given my big PLC honest service for a number od years after all! I know the score "sold as seen" etc..I'd accept a few months, maybe even shorter before lashing out big time but remember these are FSH vehicles and this one was last serviced in December so 2days is taking the mick.

No word from Nissan yet btw. I have also raised the issue with the dept at work to see the lie of the land. no reply either (other than autoreply!)

On the upside of life, my wife had a 34week scan today and her low lying placenta has finally moved out of the way, giving our first child the chance to be born naturally. Fantastic news.

Certainly a mixed day!
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Adam {P}
Congrats. On the baby anyway!

Best of luck getting the car fixed. And of course with the baby!

Thanks Adam. Was a big relief. You seem to be omni present btw!

Just get the car sorted and I'll be fully happy again.

Better not degenerate into inane babble or DD will strike..

Back on topic..

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Altea Ego
I hope the baby is better looking than the car Jase! ;-)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Jase -register on www.nissanprimera.net loads of help and advice on there. A few Nissan techs too, and a great bunch of people. Help is always at hand
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - barchettaman
Congrats on the good news regarding impending baby Jase.
6 weeks of normal sleep left....
Sorry Mods.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - T Lucas
The only point i was trying to make really is that if Nissan will help out thats great,they probably dont have to,but thats debateable.If you are buying the car 'as seen'from your company and then start moaning that after 2 days you have to dip your hand in your own pocket thats tough.
What would you think if the company said after 2 days 'that car is better than we thought and someone else has offered £1000 more for it can we have it back'.How 'fair'would that be?
Also if the company say all cars now go to the auction,depriving other members of staff bargains,how 'fair'is that?
Only my opinion.
The company car buying rules are very clear and I have been told this. "Sold as seen" is the key and we are allowed to have them inspected. Perhaps I should have done. I talked to the owner in detail before going for it (he reported no problems) It was last serviced in December so thought it was a safe bet for a bit at least. It should be noted that we are not allowed to sell the cars on for at least 12 months, so on this basis they should be at least fit for purpose in my view.

My big PLC are going to consider things (excerpt below) so they are at least considering exceptional circumstances.

"However as the car has broken down in such a short space of time I will get this referred to higher management for a decision "

Garage has confirmed dead turbo btw. £1300 to fix inclusive. Catalyst OK. They are chasing Nissan for some goodwill but, again, no promises.

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Aprilia
I am surprised that the turbo went from good to bad in such a short space of time. Was there some other fault (e.g. loss of oil supply?). I would have thought there would have been some symptoms in the weeks before.

This engine is definitely the Nissan Y22D unit (NOT a Renault unit) and they are usually very reliable. Could it have been driven very hard in the past, or skipped an oil change?
Aprilla - No reported symptons apparently, although I have only driven it a few times of course so I wouldn't know if degredation was evident. Owner is a middle aged chap (not that this is relevant to how hard he drives it I guess) but doesn't seem the type to have hammered it. Car has spent its life on motorways.

Has been serviced every 12k by main dealer up to 72K in december '05, which is its final service. Now on 75.5k.

When you say oil change do you mean engine oil or special turbo charger oil (excuse ignorance). Or is normal engine oil used to lubricate turbo bearings etc..

Thanks
"When you say oil change do you mean engine oil or special turbo charger oil (excuse ignorance). Or is normal engine oil used to lubricate turbo bearings etc.."

Its engine oil that lubricates turbo bearings. The turbo is a hostile place, very hot. There is a chance the turbo bearings were cooked. This is caused by heat soak - Driver turns off engine imediately after turbo has been hot and spinning - oil feed stops - bearing cook and simmer in own oil which goes hard - turbo kippered

or

Not changing oil, oil gets thick and treacle, blocks up in feed pipes or bearings - Kippered turbo

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - NowWheels
Garage has confirmed dead turbo btw. £1300 to fix inclusive. Catalyst
OK. They are chasing Nissan for some goodwill but, again, no
promises.

Jase, if it's any consolation I took a look on Autotrader, and it seems that even if you had to pay the full £1300 yourself, you'll still have got the car for a lot less than people are asking on Autotrader.

I know that the £1300 isn't money you had budgetted for, and maybe not money you can readily afford, but it doesn't look to me like you'd have gotten a bad deal overall even if Nissan and/or the company don't share some of the cost.

Hope that's some small consolation in glass-half-full sort of way, and good luck in getting t'others to cough up :)
Thanks NoWheels.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - MoneyMart
Not the Toyota, after everyone's good advice about Almera on-the-limit-handling for those special motoring moments?
Not the Toyota, after everyone's good advice about Almera on-the-limit-handling for
those special motoring moments?

It's still zero wheels, because of technical problems shuffling money around. But as soon as that's unravelled, it's going to be an Almera: nobody's persuaded me that the Corolla is worth an extra thousand (yes, thanks, I did listen carefully to all the advice, but I made my choice).

Hopefully, the closest I'll get to on-the-limit-handling will be trying to fit the wretched thing into parking spaces. I hope it's true that the Almera SE has those squeaky eye things to assist :)
Just to correct a few people who have made references to this engine being Nissan...

It's not - it's RENAULT.

It has been *tweaked* by Nissan, but it is still based on a Renault lump. The give-away is the Renault diamond logo embossed in the engine block!

Also dCi is a registered trademark owned by Renault !!!
------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle
Tweaked with a different EGR setup and a chain cam.

Thats some tweaking
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Tweaked with a different EGR setup and a chain cam.
Thats some tweaking
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

More like gouging and drubbing.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Xileno {P}
It doesn't make sense to me, why Nissan would go to all the expense of changing the cam drive when the 2.2dCi engine is already there just to slot in from the Renault range. Nissan use the little 1.5 dCi unmodified in the Micra.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Aprilia
I think maybe the block is the same on these two engines, but just about everything else looks different to me. I would call it a Nissan Diesel, rather than a Renault.
Jase - What is the latest position with regard to your unfortunate turbo problem, - has your company finance dept relented and agreed to cough up the £1300 or not ???????

Good luck with it anyway.!!!!!
Still ongoing Dude,

The Nissan main dealer customer service is terrible. They haven't called me once with any updates since Monday morning. I have had to chase continually for any kind of feedback. (i.e what is actually wrong, OK then how much will it cost, have they contacted Nissan UK re: some goodwill, how long will it take to fix etc..)

My PLC dept have asked to see the estimate for the work and want it faxed to them, so I retain some (forlorn) hope. Its taken 4 calls today to the garage before one actually got returned and I have asked them to fax it.

Have to say I'm finding the whole thing very stressy, but I feel I've entered down a path now that I'm committed to. No idea where I am to be honest!

Large scotch tonight.
Sounds about par for the course for a main dealer. I was told, yesterday, that our local Nissan dealer has a similar reputation.
Update..
Large PLC has agreed to pay 50% of bill. Therefore £650 cost to me remains. More than generous I say. Turbo to be replaced ASAP now.

Main dealer Nissan garage has not managed to get a reply from Nissan UK re: possible goodwill in 5 working days!! Rubbish performance. I have asked them to chase, which I don't expect them to do, assuming they have actually asked!!

Without naming and shaming too obviously I would like to say that the big deleted dealership in deleted, part of a huge group who also own deleted and now deleted and deleted garages in the same road, have offered the worst customer service I have ever encountered!

{"without naming and shaming too obviously"; No naming and shaming at all please. The info you provided gave all the clues as to who you were talking about, hence its removal. DD}
if you want my honest advice get it fixed pay your half and get shut.
--
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - cheddar
"Full nissan service history. Last service done at 72k." only 3k ago, so pay, pick it up, make sure it is ok and write to Nissan customer services rather than go through the dealer.

>>>Large PLC has agreed to pay 50% of bill.>>>

Jase - I am pleased you have received some recompense for your appalling bad luck, as Large PLC were not legally obliged to pay this 50% contribution.

I read this as a favourable omen of your good working relationship with your employer, so hope you remind them at your next salary review.!!!!

Good luck.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Adam {P}
>.if you want my honest advice get it fixed pay your half and get shut.<<

Do you reckon? I'd be tempted to keep it you know. Simply because, as NoWheels said, even paying the full repair price, he's still got a good deal technically.

He seems to like the car too.

Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - Bromptonaut
Does Jase's problem suggest the former driver regularly failed to "simmer" the turbo before shut down?
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - nortones2
Its a diesel: the exhaust temperature is a lot cooler than a petrol engine. You can't get the turbo to the cherry-red point!
Its a diesel: the exhaust temperature is a lot cooler than
a petrol engine. You can't get the turbo to the cherry-red
point!

It is still recommended by the PSA group, that the engine is allowed to idle for a few minutes, if it has been run at high speed for a prolonged period.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - jase1
if you want my honest advice get it fixed pay your
half and get shut.
--
"a little man in a big world/"

Would tend to agree actually, these new common-rail diesel engines (ANY make) are more trouble than they are worth. Get rid once the warranty is up.

Reliable diesel? My pink fluffy dice.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - PhilW
"Would tend to agree actually, these new common-rail diesel engines (ANY make) are more trouble than they are worth. Get rid once the warranty is up.

Reliable diesel? My pink fluffy dice."

Evidence please - I have four cars in the family - all of them have CR diesel engines. One has done 80k in 6 years no trouble so far - should I be worried??
--
Phil
I never heard anything bad about them either. Some people can cook anything, even inadvertently. Observe rules suggested in owner's manual. Display 'mechanical symapthy' at all times. Then if the device blows up, see if you can look the poor starving manufacturer in the eye and swear you obeyed these simple rules.
LOTS of anecdotal evidence, primarily with the Renault dCi units (upon which the Nissan is derived) but others as well. The newer diesel engines are under significantly more stress than the earlier, less powerful engines which ran forever. More than one mechanic has advised me to steer clear due to the number of turbo failures which have passed through his hands.
Nothing fundametally wrong with the Renault dCi engine, some reports of turbos blowing (Garrett) and EGR valves playing up (Mitsubishi I think). I have not heard of fuelling problems.

I understand that Renault have introduced what's called the Yellow OTS scheme whereby for owners with blown turbos on 1.9dCi's that have FRSH, Renault will contribute to the cost. I believe age and mileage conditions may apply.

Renault dealers now have a special tool for testing and cleaning the EGR valves.

My opinion is that the 18K oil change interval is too long. Mine gets done at 9K with fully synthetic.
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - fossyant
Turbo Failure = it's a known failure on the 2.2dci - check npoc.co.uk or nissanprimera.co.uk and do a search ! Common fault on the whole range of 2.2 dci's !

Renault derived = rubbish - thank goodness my petrol P12 is a real Nissan Unit !
Nothing fundametally wrong with the Renault dCi engine, some .
Renault dealers now have a special tool for testing and cleaning
the EGR valves.

>>
sharp screwdriver maybe?..............think i have one of those
--
Once it's fixed (maybe today?) I will be keeping it, seeing as the "at risk" component has been fixed. It's still a good value car (theoretically!) assuming it behaves in the future. Will still chase Nissan for some goodwill even if the garage don't come up with anything.

One contributor mentioned that the turbo maybe hadn't been simmered, which is entirely possible. As the car has been running up and down motorways it's more than likely the chap pulled into filling stations and immediately turned his engine off, so perhaps the bearings have been cooked over time? I will be simmering religiously!
I can see the point of simmering if using full power for a prolonged period, but running on the Mway in UK is hardly taxing the engine/turbo. How many hp to sustain 85mph?
Long service intervals are the death of turbos.
12k service intervals on this one by the looks of it. Maybe I should contemplate 6K ones aswell
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - tr7v8
My Alfa 156 JTD did it's turbo, spoke to dealer & he'd had 3 in that week! Then spoke to Turbo Technics and his comment "12K is far too long for service intervals, change oil every 6K & you won't have any further turbo problems"
After that I always let the Turbo cool down with idling for 30 seconds minimum & 2 minutes or so if coming straight off the motorway & into services. £ 590 turbo + Labour or a few minutes of my time?
If HJ doesn't object, Parkers has a forum in which Renault turbo failures are discussed. Also VOSA are interested in any catastrophic failures: forum.parkers.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17190

There is also a FAQ section given an opinion on the EGR valve as a cause of the demise of these turbos. Oil quality and change interval said to be factors.
If HJ doesn't object, Parkers has a forum in which Renault
turbo failures are discussed.

you have to get past the antmat first though.
i managed it, but am in disguise.
--
"a little man in a big world/"
"you have to get past the antmat first though. i managed it, but am in disguise."

Por que ?
Oh dear Looks like this 2.2Dci turbo problem is quite common: I think I will run this car for a year (warranty period of new turbo) and then trade it maybe.

Got a couple of remaining questions: Has anyone got a contact number or address for Nissan customer services. I still want to write and complain (i.e. beg) but can't find a contact address anywhere?

Re: my repair -
1) Would you expect new oil to be put in the engine as part of a turbo replacement?
2) This EGR thingy - would/should that have been attended to in any way?
3)The CBCBD reports that the 2.2Dci was recalled for ECU reprogram (YD22). Will this need reflashing following replaced turbo?

Just wanting to know what sort of questions I should be asking when I pick it up?

Finally, how best can I protect this from happening again? Regular oil changes, Italian tune up, simmering or is it really just cross fingers?
Regular oil changes and 'simmering' would appear to be the trick. I am certainly going to be doing that from now on with my 2.2 dCi.

Get the recall carried out - if it already hasn't been done. Other than that I don't think you need worry now for the future. I certainly am not and intend to keep the car for a good few years
Oh dear Looks like this 2.2Dci turbo problem is quite common:
I think I will run this car for a year (warranty
period of new turbo) and then trade it maybe.

These reports appear to refer to the Renault. Are you sure that the turbo installation is ths same on both the Renault and the Nissan?
AFAIK the dCi reports refer specifically to the Renault unit. The Nissan one isn't perfect but seems to suffer from fewer problems. It's impossible to tell though on anecdotal evidence.

The weird thing is that when the Nissan one does go it seems to be in the Primera and not nearly as often in the X-Trail. Any ideas why?
Hurrah - car is back!

Garage have done the job, re-applied the ECU flash for the recall and also re-done two other bits of recall work on the YD22 engine. Big PLC paying 50% so whilst a painful experience, the car is still good value, now at £5k though rather than £4.4k!

Car is very good and relaxed on motorways, bit big and bulky for town. Going to swap our Leon Cupra for a Meriva 1.6 16V at some point for the other car. Don't want two turbo cars...

Thanks for all your posts everyone. Keep your fingers crossed for a bit of trouble free motoring!
dCi is a registered trademark of Renault!

------------
MoneyMart

Current car: 55-reg Audi A4 2.5 V6TDi Quattro flappy-paddle
Primera 2.2DCi - dead turbo? £'s to fix? - bazza1603
Hi,

Glad your car is fixed.

Watch the Meriva. I had set my heart on one, but couldnot live with the poor view at roundabouts on the test drive. The front pillars are a pain and really get in the way. I spoke to one bloke filling up his car with Petrol and he says his wife moved the seat backwards at roundabouts to see what was coming!

Best regards

Baz