Almera V Corolla - NowWheels
Sorry to start another thread, but have just been doing a little more car-hunting in my quest for a car as-dependable-appliance.

I thought that a Toyota Corolla automatic would be outside my price range, but have found one for only £1000 more than the sort of prices on offer for a similar age Almera (2004), so I have been wondering if that's worth thinking of. The Corolla has 25,000 miles rather than the Almer's 10,000 but otherwise the two look similar.

I know some people would probably tell me that the Corolla looks better/worse or has better/worse handling, but I'm really not interested in that, so please spare me :)

So far, on paper the Toyota seems to be cheaper to insure (about £80 a year less), but fractionally thirstier (1mpg, according to the manufacturers).

The things that would attract me to the Corolla are that it is roomier inside (particularly in the back seats), and also rather quieter (which is nice), plus that it has buttons for its heater/radio controls rather than the Nissan's overly complex screen-driven system ... but the Corolla doesn't sound as reliable as the Almera, though still better than average.

So I'm wondering if it's really worth spending an extra thousand on a car with more miles on the clock? Any advice?
Almera V Corolla - lordy
The Almera's biggest problem has always been image. It is a perfectly good, ultra reliable car, as I'm sure many here will attest to. The Corolla will also be ultra reliable, and as you say, possibly a bit more refined than the Almera. My dad runs an '03 model, and raves about it.

If image is not a concern, save yourself a grand. Either way, you're in a win/win situation.
--
let me be the last to let you down....
Almera V Corolla - Sprice
In what way doesn't a Corolla 'sound' as reliable as an Almera?
Almera V Corolla - Adam {P}
I know you didn't want to hear about the looks, as compensation I shall make this my only post in this thread.

The Corolla looks ten times better than the Almera. Never driven one so no idea if it has character but it certainly looks a lot better.
Almera V Corolla - bell boy
try and be a bit more positive Adam {P} .
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
I was. Positive about the Corolla old chap.

You can just call me Adam by the way. No need to bother with all this {P} rubbish.
Almera V Corolla - Lud
Forgive me, but this seems as good a moment to ask as any. What does all this {P} rubbish mean?
The Corolla looks ten times better than the Almera.

If I want to look better, I'll spend my money on a makeover rather than on wheels. Either that, or invest in a paper bag to put over my head -- that'd do a lot for looks.

But when I'm in the car I can't see what it looks like, and when I'm not in it I won't be looking at it. And if my car looks naff and ugly, maybe fewer people will want to steal it :)
In what way doesn't a Corolla 'sound' as reliable as an
Almera?

Corolla has a Warranty Direct Reliability Index of 26.3, against 3.18 for the Almera.

OTOH, HJ's car-by-car breakdown reports Almeras were 98% breakdown free in 2003 Which survey, and Corolla 100% breakdown free the next year. I guess that difference is within the margin of statistical error.

Also, googling around threw up a few reports of problems with early (2001-02) 1.6VVTI Corollas, though no reports of probs with newer ones.
Almera V Corolla - dylan
Corolla has a Warranty Direct Reliability Index of 26.3, against
3.18 for the Almera.

Bear in mind that despite the name this isn't a reliability index, it's a 'cost to repair' index. Toyotas are more expensive to fix that Nissans, so the lower number doesn't necessarily mean the Almera is more reliable, though it may be.

Of course the fact that Toyota parts are expensive may be a factor in your decision.

BTW Have you thought about a Honda Accord? Slightly bigger I know, but if you're interested in reliabiltiy then this table suggests you can't beat them:

www.whatcar.com/NonCar/13105544749.jpg

These numbers are derived from Warranty Direct.
BTW Have you thought about a Honda Accord? Slightly bigger I
know, but if you're interested in reliabiltiy then this table suggests
you can't beat them:

I did consider them, but they seem very thirsty, and the automatic gets a bad press -- too big a jump between 3rd and 4th gear.
Almera V Corolla - caesar
Dont fancy a skoda?
Reliabillity is as good prices are better.
Almera V Corolla - Sprice
Can't see how a Skodas reliability is as good if it uses VW mechanicals, although, I agree, they seem to do well in reliability surveys, up there with Lexus etc, while VW languish at the bottom of such!
Almera V Corolla - JohnX
I have driven both of them and you even remotely enjoy driving esp on twisty coutry roads,you will find the Almera far far ahead in the handling department.You simply cant tear around a small roundabout at speeds approaching the Almera's.
Believe me if you take a quick drive in both of them, then no contest!
I have driven both of them and you even remotely enjoy
driving esp on twisty coutry roads,you will find the Almera far
far ahead in the handling department.You simply cant tear around a
small roundabout at speeds approaching the Almera's.

Thanks John, but I have no desire whatsoever to tear around roundabouts, large or small. So maybe that's a mark in favour of the Corolla :)
Almera V Corolla - JohnX
Aha NoWheels , remember though that better front end grip equals better safety/less mishaps, and thats regardless of the speed!

Almera V Corolla - Lud
Aha NoWheels , remember though that better front end grip
equals better safety/less mishaps, and thats regardless of the speed!

I would agree with this. I haven't driven an Almera but have driven a Corolla some distance quite rapidly on the motorway. It was quite nice but for a modern car felt a bit wallowy, something that always makes me feel insecure. Tautness translates into psychic security which translates into less fatigue.
Almera V Corolla - Manatee
This doesn't sound like a decision with a right and wrong answer - do you want to spend an extra £1,000? Reasons to do that could just be that you like it £1,000 more, even allowing for the extra miles, or that you have concerns about depreciation - but the Almera will win out on that if you keep it long enough.

I suspect that the numbers behind Warranty Direct's ratings are small and I would ignore them. The Top 10 manufacturer ratings table does not include either of Toyota or Nissan which suggests to me that there is not much data behind it. Conveniently they don't say.
Almera V Corolla - jase1
I think the differences between these two are entirely subjective (looks, handling, driving position etc). These can only be resolved by driving both of them, and deciding which one you like best.

Both are high quality Japanese products with a fine reputation for not breaking.

So whichever floats your boat.

For other cars in the same category, might I suggest you look at the Mazda 323 and Honda Civic as well.

The Skodas are good cars, but they don't really have a direct competitor in this sector; the Fabia is a bit smaller, the Octavia larger.
Almera V Corolla - jase1
As for depreciation, that argument doesn't really hold when buying second-hand. Indeed I find that the reverse is true -- buy a heavy depreciator at the right time and it becomes a real bargain.

Nissans tend to level out over time. They may depreciate heavily in the first few years, but you look at the value of them when they get old -- a 10 year old Primera is generally worth around double that of an equivalent Vectra. So, by buying at the right time, Nissans make more sense than a lot of other vehicles.
Almera V Corolla - caesar
Skoda's are taxi's which says a great deal about reliabillity.
Used to be the japs, not any more!!
Almera V Corolla - jase1
Skoda's are taxi's which says a great deal about reliabillity.
Used to be the japs, not any more!!

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Skodas are cheaper?

Big, reliable and cheap. Reliable isn't the only factor in taxi buying.

It seems to depend where you go anyway. Go to Leeds and they're all Toyota Avensises. Darlington seems to be overloaded with Hyundai Accent taxis. Newcastle is Skodas, but Sunderland seem to be loyal to the Primeras (not surprisingly).
Almera V Corolla - machika
NW, can I ask what kind of price the Corolla and Almera are going for? Also, what age are they?
Almera V Corolla - Aprilia
I think we are debating the difference between Coke and Pepsi.

I would be happy to drive either car - they are both fine for what you want to do.

Personally, if I had to make a choice, it would be the Almera. The reason for this is that **any** car will need some repairs as it gets older. The Almera scores in three areas:

1. Nissan dealer parts are not too badly priced - a lot cheaper than Toyota.
2. There are more 'pattern' parts available for the Almera (i.e. QH front arms, waterpumps, steering rack, alternator etc etc). And they are pretty cheap!
3. The Almera is mechanically just a little more straightforward - any independant will be able to fix it. Plus no cam belt to worry about.

One little tip if you test drive an Almera auto - the 1-2 upshift on a cold engine is a bit 'hard' (what we call 'shift-shock), so don't think the autobox is bad. This is typical of the Jatco automatic. 2-3 can also lurch slightly. When the 'box warms up it will smooth out a lot, but 1-2 can still be felt. Changing to a high-quality synthetic DIII ATF can help with the smoothness.
Almera V Corolla - DavidHM
I'd be inclined towards the Corolla, but mainly for subjective reasons.

Don't forget NW that even if you intend to run it til it drops, it may drop beyond economical repair sooner simply if it's worth less - and old Toyotas are even more sought after than old Nissans (although up until the 90s Toyotas rusted badly).

If you feel happier with the Corolla, go for it; otherwise the Almera. Long term, financially, the Corolla will hold most of that £1k until they're into near-banger territory and the mileage issue is likely to be irrelevant. At 5k miles per year, in fifteen years the Corolla will have done 100k, the Almera 85k, and age will cause it more problems than mileage.
Almera V Corolla - mare

Reliable isn't the only factor in taxi
buying.

Indeed. Catch a cab in Bristol, and it most likely to be a Fiat Doblo (shudder, postman pat theme in head)
The things that would attract me to the Corolla are that
it is roomier inside (particularly in the back seats), and also
rather quieter (which is nice), plus that it has buttons for
its heater/radio controls rather than the Nissan's overly complex screen-driven system
... but the Corolla doesn't sound as reliable as the Almera,
though still better than average.

>>

HJ's road test says the manual 1.6 Corolla is undergeared and none too quiet at motorway speeds. Have you actually driven both cars NW?
Almera V Corolla - blue_haddock
Well i know which one i'd go for!

I've never driven an almera so can't say too much about them but for a while i did have a 1.6 Auto Corolla as a company motor - whilst not my particular cup of tea it didn't seem too bad. It was driven pretty enthuisiastically and gave around 35mpg according to the on board trip computer.

The corolla will at least hold the price difference for several years - if anything i think the gap between the two would widen even further over the years. Also the corolla would be a hell of a lot easier to sell than the almera.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think the Almera comes out of the comparison much better than I'd expected, and I'm particularly persuaded by the prospect of cheaper repairs.

I'll still try the Corolla if there is one available at the right price -- most of them are definitely out of my range.

Likewise the Honda Civic which Jase1 suggested -- nice, but far too expensive.

For £6,999 there is a choice of 04 or 05 Almera 1.8SE autos (or some 1.8S for about the same money). Cheapest similar Corolla I can find is a lone 04 with higher miles for £8,000. Civics of the same age seem to start at over £9,000, which is just too much money for a wheeled metal box. So I'm not even going to test-drive one unless I magically find one a lot cheaper.

It still looks like a 1-2yo Almera with less than 15k miles for less than £7k is a deal unlikely to be beaten. I'll let you all know how I get on :)

For £6,999 there is a choice of 04 or 05 Almera
1.8SE autos (or some 1.8S for about the same money).
Cheapest similar Corolla I can find is a lone 04 with
higher miles for £8,000. Civics of the same age seem to
start at over £9,000, which is just too much money for
a wheeled metal box. So I'm not even going to
test-drive one unless I magically find one a lot cheaper.
It still looks like a 1-2yo Almera with less than 15k
miles for less than £7k is a deal unlikely to be
beaten. I'll let you all know how I get on
:)

I am interested in the price you have quoted for the Almera, as Available Car have an 04 3 door 1.8SE auto, with 11K miles, for £5999. I haven't seen one as cheap anywhere else.
HJ's road test says the manual 1.6 Corolla is undergeared and
none too quiet at motorway speeds.

Yes, but HJ also reported in the backroom that the auto Corolla is longer-legged and hence quieter. Other roadtests suggest the Almera is noisier at lower speeds -- I'll see if I test both, but it dosn't seem likely to be a critivcal issue.
Have you actually driven both cars NW?

No, I've not driven either: I'm still on my pre-testing elimination phase. I always try to do this when shopping for anything to do with property or machines -- otherwise it's far too easy to be swayed into making an emotional decision in a salesroom.

Once I've decided which things are allowed to go on my shortlist, then I'll let my final subjective judgments swing the balance.

On that basis, for example, I've finally ruled out a Citroen Berlingo. Nice things, but I don't need the space and can't afford to risk reliability problems, so no point in risking being swayed into a spur-of-the-moment choice which turns out to be an expensive mistake.
Almera V Corolla - andymc {P}
NW, I think if I was thinking along the lines you are (i.e. totally practical, utilitarian, unemotional), I'd be asking this: if another vehicle crashes into you, which is more likely to give better protection, the Almera or the Corolla? I reckon the Corolla, but can't back that up right now.

Also, knowing which one has the better handling balance would be a safety consideration more than an enjoyment consideration. There will always be times when no matter how carefully/slowly one drives, sharper steering responses are safer (like the time a kid deliberately pushed another kid in front of me just at the wrong moment - steered around very suddenly but didn't have to fight for control of the car). Almera seems to win out here according to views expressed above.

Thirdly, see if you can compare which is more comfortable for an hour or so behind the wheel - even with a short commute traffic snarl-ups can keep you there that long. Are the pedals and steering wheel well-aligned, is the wheel adjustable for reach as well as rake, are the seats fully adjustable with good lumbar support? No idea which would be better for comfort.

Finally, (unless I've missed someone else saying this) which would be cheaper to insure? I'm guessing probably the Almera. Overall, at the minute I'd be leaning towards the Almera.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Almera V Corolla - wemyss
This thread was interesting enough to get me off my bike this morning as I passed my local garage to have a look at a Almera on the forecourt.
Couldnt make my mind up at first if it was a Primera as it looked quite big.
However it was a Silver 04 (I think) 1.8 Almera Estate with 15700 miles on and priced at £6495.
As new and unmarked it looked a superb car.
I don't actually think there is an Almera estate...
Ignore me. It does look like a very short estate shape wise I guess.
Andymc wrote:
NW, I think if I was thinking along the lines you
are (i.e. totally practical, utilitarian, unemotional), I'd be asking this: if
another vehicle crashes into you, which is more likely to give
better protection, the Almera or the Corolla? I reckon the
Corolla, but can't back that up right now.

The Corolla comes out better, though not by a huge amount: 28poiints v 26. Usefully better on frontal impact, not as good on side impact.
Also, knowing which one has the better handling balance would be
a safety consideration more than an enjoyment consideration.

Unless there's a lot in it, I'm not persuaded. A sports car would handle better than either of them, but whatever vehicle one is driving the main issue wrt handling is to stay well within its limits.
Thirdly, see if you can compare which is more comfortable for
an hour or so behind the wheel - even with a
short commute traffic snarl-ups can keep you there that long.

Thanks for those suggestions -- will see how they compare.
Finally, (unless I've missed someone else saying this) which would be
cheaper to insure? I'm guessing probably the Almera. Overall,
at the minute I'd be leaning towards the Almera.

Actually, the Corolla is cheaper(lower group). £80 a year initially, tho by the third year it'll be only £40 if I hold my NCD. So not enough to significantly offset higher purcahse price.

I'm still leaning strongly towards the Almera, but I will try the Corolla.

Almera V Corolla - andymc {P}
" ...whatever vehicle one is driving the main issue wrt handling is to stay well within its limits."
Very true, something I wish every driver was aware of. However, nobody's perfect (not even me!), and the unexpected does happen. The incident I mentioned was at a pretty low speed - just 30 mph in NSL cos I always suspect kids might do something stupid - but even with me expecting something, they were so close that the reflex time was virtually nil. I'd hate to be in a car that responds sloppily and goes out of shape easily in a sudden reaction situation. If there's a noticeable difference in this area between the two cars under discussion, it would influence my decision-making on a safety basis.
--
andymc
Almera V Corolla - jase1
" ...whatever vehicle one is driving the main issue wrt handling
is to stay well within its limits."
Very true, something I wish every driver was aware of.
However, nobody's perfect (not even me!), and the unexpected does happen.
The incident I mentioned was at a pretty low speed
- just 30 mph in NSL cos I always suspect kids
might do something stupid - but even with me expecting something,
they were so close that the reflex time was virtually nil.
I'd hate to be in a car that responds sloppily
and goes out of shape easily in a sudden reaction situation.
If there's a noticeable difference in this area between the
two cars under discussion, it would influence my decision-making on a
safety basis.
--
andymc

There's a huge difference though between "interesting" handling and what you're talking about which is "safe and predictable".

The latter I personally think the Almera is very good at.

The Hyundai I have is not interesting at all. It's reaction to bends is a dull leaning followed by light, predictable understeer. The car lets me know long before it lets go. I'd class it therefore as safe and predictable. The Almera is similar.

As long as the car grips OK I don't think there's anything much to worry about really.
Almera V Corolla - tyro
On that basis, for example, I've finally ruled out a Citroen
Berlingo.

Such will-power, such self-discipline. Just as well you ruled it out at this stage. A simple test drive, and it would have been too late.
Almera V Corolla - RichardM
I'd go for the Almera.
Almera V Corolla - mare
i went past a house last night that had a Corolla AND an Almera in the drive.

Tricky choice obviously!