Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - dagwood
Will a car pass an MOT with 3 alloy wheels and an ordinary wheel?
Thanks for any answers.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - martint123
Probably if they are of the exact same size and have the same size tyres.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - mjm
Or if it is the steel spare space saver supplied with the car.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - henry k
Or if it is the steel spare space saver supplied with
the car.

>>
Or NOT.
from the above link
Reason for rejection
b.. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - nottsruss
We run mondeo ghia estates with alloy wheels doing airport transfers and have our cars inspected to be plated by the local council.Space saver wheels are not accepted we must have a full size steel wheel to pass the test which is similar to an MOT , so I should enquire first as a space saver is only for an emergency and not to be run on continuously.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - dagwood
Thanks for replies.This is on my old Carlton estate.Recently had puncture and have put spare on which has brand new tyre.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Ruperts Trooper
Space savers aren't legal except in an emergency to get to a tyre fitter (and even that's questionable under UK law). An Mot test for a private car doesn't check the spare wheel or it's tyre. Private hire cars come under different test requirements which are tougher than ordinary cars.

Some Vauxhalls, specifically Omega, have a smaller size tyre fitted to the spare wheel but not a spacesaver, to fit in the spare wheel well. These can only be used as if they were a spacesaver.

In the case of an old Carlton, assuming all the wheels are original, the steel spare should be the same size with an equivalent tyre so it should be ok. Having said that my '85 Carlton had an alloy spare!
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - David Horn
Wonder that the MOT dudes would say if you turned up driving on a (flat) run-flat.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Ruperts Trooper
It's always been a requirement of C&U regulations that motor vehicles must have pneumatic tyres.

Does a flat run-flat tyre count as pneumatic? The air left inside the casing doesn't serve any purpose.

Presumably the legality, in the UK, of a flat run-flat is just as questionable as a space-saver.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Bill Payer
It's always been a requirement of C&U regulations that motor vehicles
must have pneumatic tyres.
Does a flat run-flat tyre count as pneumatic? The air left
inside the casing doesn't serve any purpose.
Presumably the legality, in the UK, of a flat run-flat is
just as questionable as a space-saver.

I guess it would fail the MOT for various reasons, but this is probably another thing (like Xenon headlights, and indicators that flash on heavy braking etc) that are not, strictly speaking, legal in the UK but the government can't do anything because they're EU Type Approved and this over-rides UK law.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - bell boy
guess it would fail the MOT for various reasons, but this is probably another thing (like Xenon headlights, and indicators that flash on heavy braking etc) that are not, strictly speaking, legal in the UK but the government can't do anything because they're EU Type Approved and this over-rides UK law

i never knew that but it has always had me puzzled as i think particularly xenon headlights must cause so many accidents for cars travelling in the opposite direction.
--
"a little man in a big world/"
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - sierraman
Me too,Xenons seem to break the spirit of the law that limits road cars to 55w.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Me too. I don't care if they have self levelling - I am getting dazzled.
And I do get my eyes tested regularly.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Bill Payer
Me too. I don't care if they have self levelling -
I am getting dazzled.

The major problem is with those fitted after the car is built, so they don't have self leveling.
No-one seems completely sure if this is legal or not, because the EU type approval applies to new cars where self leveling (and washing) is fitted.
Seems all Xenon lights are thoeretically illegal in the UK anyway, because Xenon lights are not specifically mentioned in the relevant bit of the law, so by default are illegal. If they've been fitted after the car was built, and don't have self leveling and washing, then they seemingly don't qualify by virtue of being EU type approved either.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Cliff Pope
>> It's always been a requirement of C&U regulations that motor
vehicles
>> must have pneumatic tyres.
>>

Apart from early cars and lorries that have solid tyres.
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - nialli
Wonder that the MOT dudes would say if you turned up driving on a (flat)
run-flat.

The car will pass, surprisingly. I did this on Friday (not delibaretly I might add, i only found out my tyre was flat the next day) and my car didn't fail it's MOT. It wasn't even mentioned on the report. Obviously I'm not sure whether this is legal, and I won't name the garage incase they have missed somethithey shoudl have picked up on. So my car is comlpletely road legal right now paperwork wise and yet only has three inflated tyres!
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - lboardman32
Will a car pass an MOT with 3 alloy wheels and
an ordinary wheel?
Thanks for any answers.

try this website.i think you can email them.
www.motester.co.uk
Mixing ordinary wheels and alloys - Number_Cruncher
If you so desired, you could have a wooden wheel!

The MOT can't be overly prescriptive about materials, because this is a design choice of the vehicle manufacturer or builder.

The material of the wheel isn't important, it is the size and type of tyre, relative to the others on the vehicle, that that the wheel bears that matters.

Number_Cruncher