MOT Backdating question - Hugo {P}
Good news:

Discovery passed its MOT with minimal work needed, so I won't be buying a newer vehicle yet, though I did see a very nice TDi 300 for sale but that's another story.....

Not so good news:

Although I handed the old/current MOT cert to the garage, who took it to another MOT testing station, the new MOT expiry date has NOT been backdated to 12 months after the old expiry date of 16th Feb.

Is this likely to be an error on the part of the tester or is backdating the MOT expiry date now not possible under the new system?

Thanks

H
MOT Backdating question - Doc
Backdating the MOT expiry date is possible under the new system.
Take the old and new certs. to the MOT garage for re-issue.

MOT Backdating question - bell boy
and be prepared to pay a tenner
a little man in a big world
MOT Backdating question - Galaxy
If you have to pay for a duplicate certificate then, surely, it's not worth bothering to get, at most, just one extra month added onto you new MOT?
MOT Backdating question - cornflake
If you provided the old certificate, I can't see why you would have to pay for a new one to be issued. The mistake is theirs, surely?
MOT Backdating question - martint123
Just a technicality as the title of the thread made my look twice.
It's Forward dating, not back dating.
correct cornflake, but the original garage took it to an mot station so to correct the anomily the man would need to get his tenner back from garage he took it to for mot work............confused i am,personally for the agro involved and in case he gets hiself a bad name at a "good garage"? i would put it down to experiance and say nowt'
MOT Backdating question - Dynamic Dave
Take the old and new certs. to the MOT garage for re-issue.

Yep. My dad had to do exactly the same thing. No probs, no quibble. They just called up the new MOT on the system, amended the details and printed a new one off.
Martin,

You're quite right, it should be forward dating.

Dave, thanks for your post. I've given the garage a call and he has agreed to give the MOT test station a call on Monday.

He did question whether it's possible, but after what Dave's told me, I am going to insist it's done, as I took it in early for a reason, to give me some breathing space if it failed catastrophically. Next year I will want to do the same.

H
MOT Backdating question - jc
On the old system,if you found an error or wanted a correction,it had to be pointed out the same day,once it was in the system(post),it would cost you.
MOT Backdating question - Peter D
If you have effectively 'contracted with a garage to have a 'consecutively dated' MOT then that is the deal, if they chose to send it to another garage then that is their problem. Insist you have the correctly dated MOT. Regards Peter
MOT Backdating question - Bromptonaut
On the old system,if you found an error or wanted a
correction,it had to be pointed out the same day,once it was
in the system(post),it would cost you.

Sure I've had an error corrected foc (wrong reg on cert). Also had a re-issue after a w/e in similar circs to the OP. Garage who saw car every yr for MoT failed to check old cert, tester had gone home so they could not reissue while I waited. In that case though they might have retreived the paperwork from the outgoing post tray.
MOT Backdating question - Lud
the new MOT expiry
date has NOT been backdated to 12 months after the old
expiry date of 16th Feb.
Is this likely to be an error on the part of
the tester or is backdating the MOT expiry date now not
possible under the new system?

This may seem a foolish question, but why do you care? Is one liable to retroactive prosecution for driving a car that might have had small gaps in its MoT record, or is it just a passion for perfection?
This may seem a foolish question, but why do you care?

(should be forward dating)

By getting the Test done early, you have the potential to get 13 months MOT.

MOT Backdating question - Lud
OK. What a relief. I thought I had come across another example of extremist respectability.
Lordy

As Doc says,

The original MOT is still valid to the 16th Feb 2006, so had I not got it through yet, I'd still have until then to get it through.

Although that's academic for this year, next year I want to think about it for the first time at around the same time - ie 26th Jan 2007 knowing that I have until the middle of the following month in case I need to consider my options wrt who does any necessary MOT work if it's done at all.

H
MOT Backdating question - Cliff Pope
Apart from the principle of the thing (why should they be allowed to steal a month's worth of my MOT?) if you let it go the next MOT creeps closer. If that happens to coincide with tax renewal time it causes problems of timing and renewal while possibly in limbo land with a failed MOT.

A more sinister suggestion I have heard is that an expired MOT will be replaced only with a BACKDATED one, even if the car has legitimately been SORNed in the interval.
If this rumour is true, it has severe implications for cars taken off the road possibly for some years for restoration.
A more sinister suggestion I have heard is that an expired
MOT will be replaced only with a BACKDATED one, even if
the car has legitimately been SORNed in the interval.
If this rumour is true, it has severe implications for cars
taken off the road possibly for some years for restoration.

This could not possibly work!
If the car was off the road for more than 12 months, then it could never obtain an MOT.
Anyway, there is no requirement to show your old MOT cert. to the testing garage.

it is the system used for commercials where whatever the date of first registration the annual inspection is the same date for infinnity ever after.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
MOT Backdating question - Cliff Pope
I know! But there was an article in Volvo Technical Driver warning that this was the new system. With on-line MOTs no old certificate necessary.
It sounds crazy, but you never can tell what they will think up next these days.
MOT Backdating question - El Hacko
my car first regd 03.03.03 - presumably no prob in getting first MoT done anytime from 03.02 onwards, and that would be dated from 03.03 - or not? Advise, plse people.
my car first regd 03.03.03 - presumably no prob in getting
first MoT done anytime from 03.02 onwards, and that would be
dated from 03.03 - or not? >>

Yes!

An MOT can be carried out at any time.

If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate certificate.
To have this extension, the vehicle owner should present their old certificate to the Test Station to verify that the extra time is applicable. The tester would then write the serial number of the old certificate in the appropriate section of the new certificate.

The same rule would also apply if the vehicle was taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document and the serial number from this document will be entered in the "last certificate serial number" box on the MOT.

If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, it will only run for twelve months.

MOT Backdating question - El Hacko
that's very clear - many thanks Doc
MOT Backdating question - The Lawman
The mot station will get a lot of business from your garage and will not want to brass them off. I would be very surprised if you cannot get this mistake corrected for free and without fuss.
The mot station will get a lot of business from your
garage and will not want to brass them off. I would
be very surprised if you cannot get this mistake corrected for
free and without fuss.

Well, I would be too, and I was!

This morning I contacted the garage owner who had discussed it with the MOT test station. Apparently it wasn't possible without retesting the vehicle?????!!!!!

Well I just reasserted that I needed the extra few weeks to help me around any probs this time next year. The garage owner kindly agreed to talk the the MOT station again.

So I contacted the regional VOSA office who advised me that they would be willing to do it FOC on production of the following documents:

New incorrect MOT
Old MOT, showing correct 2006 expiry date
V5

I contacted the garage owner to assure him that I could get it done through the central office. He was worried that doing this could get the MOT test station into trouble, or incurr some sort of black mark against them. I agreed to give him time to talk to the MOT station again.

The garage owner phoned back this afternoon to tell me that the MOT station would correct the problem if I produced the documents listed above.

Job for tomorrow....
glad to hear youve got your extra time but as i said through the thread you are now a marked man as regards mot"s so be warned..........sorry.
--
This morning I contacted the garage owner who had discussed it
with the MOT test station. Apparently it wasn't possible without retesting
the vehicle?????!!!!!

For whatever reason Hugo, he was telling you a complete pack of lies - as your regional VOSA office have confirmed.

As mentioned earlier, my dad had to have a certificate re-issued because of the extra days weren't credited from his old MOT certificate onto the new one. The garage called up the car's details on the MOT computer, amended them and printed off and amended certificate, all in the space of a few minutes. No need for a re-test.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.
I know Dave, Infact I mentioned what you had said to him, and he was still stumped.

My putting the MOT station on the spot will have produced results.

To be fair to the garage owner, he was just telling me what he'd been told. For some reason he's using a different MOT station now. He's dropped the one he's used for several years. I seem to recall the old one was quite helpful.

As for being a marked man WRT MOTs, I doubt it. People around here just don't have the time for that.
As for being a marked man WRT MOTs, I doubt it. People around here just don't have the time for that.

Besides which, you're a very small fish in a very large pond. Unless he knows you and your vehicle personally, or has the memory skills of Paul McKenna, he's hardly likely to remember it in 1 yrs time.
i dont like to come in on a finished thread but your garage has decided to use a different mot station now?
That tells me in spades that a big fall out has occured over the original tenner i mentioned between the garage that did your work and the mot station.

--