Sincerest form of flattery? - lordy
Just flipped through the auto express to the S-class/7-series road test. Quite startled at a couple of the photos. The interior of the Merc is almost identical in concept to the layout of the 7; also the rear three-quarter photo, the line of the boot lid on the S-class is a direct copy of the 7, with the lid 'sitting' on the back of the car. The front of the S is quite dull IMHO. Looks like its due a facelift already.
--
let me be the last to let you down....
Sincerest form of flattery? - Adam {P}
The new C-Class looks awfully like the 3 series. Awfully being the word given it's possibly the worst looking 3 series to date.
Sincerest form of flattery? - AR-CoolC
Just looking at the article now, and your right they are very similar to each other.

Sincerest form of flattery? - Pugugly {P}
There's an article in CAR on the Bangleism of other German makers' cars. So much for cashing in on what the public perceive to be ugly.
Sincerest form of flattery? - Dalglish
So much for cashing in on what the public perceive to be ugly.

>>

so much for difference between perception and reality:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=37...7

bmw are doing very well. bmw's 2005 record breaking sales performance is reported in these january-2006 articles (just two of many others i could link here):

www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw-sales-06-01-06.asp?swit...5

"BMW Group has achieved record UK sales in 2005 ...."

abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=1486422
"FRANKFURT, Germany Jan 9, 2006 ? German luxury automaker BMW AG said Monday that its sales in 2005 were up 9.9 percent from the previous year ...."

Sincerest form of flattery? - rjr
There is no denying that BMW sales are an the increase but I do not believe that this success is solely as a result of the styling.

BMW has an incredibly strong brand image and for many the desire to say "I drive a BMW" will outweigh their concerns over how the car looks.

2005 was the first full year of the 1-series which, as a volume model for BMW, significantly increased total sales. (UK 1-series sales in 2004 were 7,500 but 22,000 in 2005 an increase of 14,500).

However, BMW sales in the UK increased by 9,500 in total, So excluding 1-series and comparing like-for-like sales of existing models demand for BMWs declined by 5,000 or 5.4%.

It would be more accurate to attribute the increase in sales of BMWs to their decision to enter new markets rather than the style of their cars.

Sincerest form of flattery? - mare
BMW has an incredibly strong brand image and for many the
desire to say "I drive a BMW" will outweigh their concerns
over how the car looks.

i do honestly believe that a lot of people would drive any old thing as long as it has a BMW badge on the front.

Each to their own.
Sincerest form of flattery? - tr7v8
Yup quite agree, fairly obvious when you follow them & they drive it soooo gently. I laugh at the advert about RWD for better balance, most people just wouldn't know. All they buy is an image.... which as they become more common gets lower & lower!

Jim
Sincerest form of flattery? - mrmender
Agree 100% with both above BMW is just a fashion accessory to most people. No matter how good a car they are i would not have one on principle
I saw a 6 series convertable the other day. I think it is one of the most hideous cars ever
Sincerest form of flattery? - Dalglish
rjr, mare, tr7, and mrmender:
all your statements go to prove the fact that as far as the bmw owners (including the growing band of new owners) are concerned, they care more about function than form; and that despite the non-bmw owning detractors saying that bmw cars look ugly, they will happily go on buying them. some people might think it is due to whingeing or the politics of envy, but the bmw owners don't really care. - because they know they are driving the ultimate machine.

and bmw are quite happy - they can easily sell more cars than they can produce. witness the long lead times before delivery.
Sincerest form of flattery? - tr7v8
Thats just my point, they drive a BMW as a badge, a status symbol, yes they couldn't care what it looks like the same as they don't care about the engineering underneath.
To a point the next 3 series could be a square box & the posers will still buy it "Because it's a BMW"
Don't get me wrong I have a healthy respoect for things like the M3 & M5 and appreciate the engineering, but the vast amount of 3 & 5 series aren't M's they are 316 & 318 or 520s. Brought purely for the pose value.
My BiL brought a 318SE & didn't try anything else but aside from the aspiration of wanting one, hasn't got the foggiest about whether it's FWD or RWD!
Iregularly outdrove these cars even when they are trying in the Alfa 156 because they haven't brought as a sports saloon they've brought a badge.
Sincerest form of flattery? - mrmender
Yet again tr7v8 you've hit the nail on the head. Was'nt there a test done and a very large percentage of drivers cannot tell the differnce between FWD & RWD whilst driving
I too have a healthy respect for the engineering that goes into a beemer
But the average buyer is just buying a badge
That little round badge is a marketing mans dream
Sincerest form of flattery? - SjB {P}
There's an article in CAR on the Bangleism of other German makers' cars. So much for cashing in on what the public perceive to be ugly

And there should be one on Bangleism by Lexus. Flicking through TG recently I did a double take; I thought BMW had released a new model that I hadn't heard about and then realised it was Lexus.

Thick flat wheel arch flanges, wheel arches with long vertical sides deeply embracing the wheels, style of wheel arch flare, swage lines, roof line, boot line, headlight "eyebrows" when seen from the side, ratio of window depth to door panel depth, broad flat door panels...

At least Lexus have made a much better fist of the interior than BMW, and it's also devoid of I-Drive(you nuts if you try to use me).
Sincerest form of flattery? - none
Have read the thread with interest. There are lots of BMW owners in my area and I've always assumed that the lack of respect they show for other road users is part of their contempt for everything except themselves. It makes me wonder if any of them have ever passed a driving test, given that they so superior, do they need to ?
Sincerest form of flattery? - Sofa Spud
The only time I ever considered buying a BMW was ten or more years ago, when I wouldn't have minded spending a grand or so on one of those bland but ever-so-neat mid-80's 3 Series, in red or black. Preferably 6-cylinder - 320 I think it was.