1998 2.5 - ABS & TC lights keep coming on - Mr. D
1998 Omega 2.5 Elite. ABS and TC lights keep coming on (getting worse) I also lose cruise, the speedo and a bit of the power steering. The car has been to the garage and they have identified that the ABS control unit keeps "dying" they don't know why. Complete unit, with the hydralic bit is £900 plus - help!! They have tried to get a second hand one with no luck. ABS control unit is available as a seperate part but the garage reckon it is dodgy to fit - I cannot even find a picture of the units and it is in such a pig of a place you cannot see it without taking half the engine out. Next problem - there are a number of models around so getting the right second hand one will be difficult. And of course the ABS unit operates under high pressure so it has to be a garage job? Any help, advice, suggestions, gratefully received.
I wondered about getting hold of the technical CDs for the Omega at least it might show me what I am dealing with.

{made use of drop down menus that weren't previously available when this thread was first written}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/11/2008 at 13:07

Vauxhall Omage ABS - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suspect that the control unit is at fault.The symptons you describe are typical of a control unit failure.It is available as a seperate part from Vauxhall ,about £250 .It is a very awkward part to fit because of its location buried on the n/side chassis leg.The hydraulic brake fluid part does not need to be dismantled.It is definitely not "dodgy to fit "if done by any competent mechanic.The only proviso is that if a new unit is fitted ,then it will need to be coded into the system.
Vauxhall Omage ABS - Mr. D
Thanks for the info. How are the control unit and the hydralic unit connected? Is it possible to fit the part then drive the car to the garage to have the coding done?
Vauxhall Omage ABS - Aprilia
Have you tried BBA-Reman for the ECU?
I take it this is the Bosch type where the ECU is bolted to the hydrualics (ABS '2E' or something)?
Vauxhall Omage ABS - Hamsafar
Try
autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/omega_owners/messages
and search the history, I'm sure I read a write up on there, if not, you could post the question anew.
The control unit is fixed to the main abs hydraulic assy by 6 torx screws.The controller can be coded by anybody who has GM tech 2,Bosch kts & possibly other equipt.If you want reliability ,then stick with a new unit from GM.
Vauxhall Omage ABS - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd want to be really sure it is actually the control unit that is faulty before shelling out significant money. Sounds more like a dodgy wheel sensor to me; as previously suggested I'd ask over on the Omega Owners group. Electronic modules tend to either work & keep working or die completely, rather than this intermittant behaviour; in general of course.
RepaVauxhall Omege ABS - Fullchat
Pull the sensors out of the wheel hubs and give them a good clean around the hub to sensor joint. Any slight increase in gap can throw the whole system out of synch.
--
Fullchat
Have contacted local VX dealer who kindly printed out a page of diagrams of ABS units and circled the parts for my car according to the VIN provided, they look like a seperate modulator & control unit. These do not match with what is on the car however one of the diagrams does. After further discussion the VX dealer tells me that this unit does not come as two seperate components and will be £735 + vat. It does look like the controller element is fix to the hydraulic part with torx screws as mentioned in your later comment. Part no. given is 9192236. I am still unsure where to go next, second hand part, look at sensors, scrap the car!!
The part# 9192236 appears to be for the complete assy .I think the part# you require for the control unit only is 9117171 .Ask the parts dept to dig a bit deeper.Alternatively it is possible to buy it from Bosch with a part # 1 273 004 206 ,but it may be more expensive.Forget the sensors idea ;Scrap the car ? well not yet!!HTH.
OK so it has been a while but I thought I would say thanks for the advice. It was the ABS control unit - decided against paying VX £900 for the part and got a working second hand unit for £70 through Part Finder - touch wood it is fine so far.
Vauxhall Omage ABS - hatilgan
Dear Mr.D,

I have a 2000 model Opel Omega 2.5 V6. I have the same problem. I need an ABS Control Unit. Bosch part number is exactly the same one. # 1 273 400 206

Could you give me the web or e-mail address to buy the similar second hand unit please?

Sincerely,

Hatilgan
hatilgan@yahoo.com
Vauxhall Omage ABS - Dynamic Dave
Could you give me the web or e-mail address to buy the similar second hand unit please?

Mr D - Last visited forum: Fri 25 Apr 2008, but *maybe* someone else can help?
Vauxhall Omage ABS - injection doc
sounds a bit late now but the O/S/R sensor runs the ABS/TCS, speedo & crusie & 2 stage PAS. Looms used to fail under the back seat. I have replaced modules due to heat damage / and or corrosion but a live data test is best first.
Vauxhall Omage ABS - SpamCan61 {P}
Like I said up thread, are you really sure it is the ABS ECU? Over on Omega Owners someone had a very similar problem, had the ABS ECU independantly tested, found OK, turned out the metal ring ( not sure if that's a good description) on the rear axle that the ABS 'wheel' sensor senses was moving slightly and confusing the ABS ECU.
Vauxhall Omage ABS - hatilgan
My car's ABS ECU was checked by authorized OPEL service and BOSCH Car Service. ABS and TC lights sometimes on (ABS-TC inactive) sometimes off (ABS-TC active). When ABS ECU was checked, sometimes the computer connection was established, sometimes was not.

Could the sensor problems affect the test connection of computer to ABS ECU?

hatilgan
1998 2.5 - ABS & TC lights keep coming on - 621stresa
I had exactly this problem with my 2000 2.5 Elite Estate. Local garages couldn't get a diagnostic connection so had to take to it Vauxhall (Northern Motors, Watford) who charged £36 for the diagnosis and £564 to supply and fit new ABS ECU in December 2009. Took it in at 10 am, ready by 2 pm. The unit itself cost around £350 they said.