I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - verytallgirl
I might be buying this car; I have an appointment to go and see it tomorrow. But...I have been told by the owner that there are some bumper scratches on the front and rear, caused by his wife reversing, then driving into at a later date, a bush on their drive. How deep/serious should they be to make me walk away? Also, I think I can detect a bit of rust on the front right wheel arch in the picture. Has this car been bashed more than the owner says? It is only priced at one and a half thousand, and I don't know if I should be paranoid. Any help gratefully received...
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - NowWheels
Hi verytallgirl, I dunno about the rust, but since the bumpers are plastic or fibreglass or something like that the scratches aren't going to rust -- how much they matter depends on how important the appearance is to you.

However, could it be that they have been bashed enough to cause hidden damage behibd them? maybe one of our more techically wise contributors can help.

Dunno about rust on the front wheel arch -- those cars seem well rustproofed, and I don't recall seeing one rusting there, so I'd be a bit suspicious about that. Again, someone else may be able to give you a more technically competent answer.

The car is going cheap, though, and I wonder why? Using the valuations on www.parkers.co.uk, I see a 50k mile 2000v-reg 1-litre Polo valued at £1970 for a private sale in poor condition: see tinyurl.com/byzto

My mum has a 1.0 Polo of that vintage, and it's a very nice car in many ways. But the although the 1.0 engine is nice to drive, it doesn't have much power, and I don't know how it would stand up to the sort of flogging it would take if it was used much on motorways.

Personally, I think I'd be a bit wary unless I had a mechanically-comptent person on hand to check it out for me.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - mss1tw
Loads of other cars you could get for your money, don't give this one a second look, in my non-expert opinion.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Adam {P}
I wouldn't be letting a few scratches bother me to be honest. I'm guessing (perhaps unreasonably) that this is your first car?

They are cracking cars and this one is going cheap but as NW said, might be as well checking it out mechanically. We had a P reg 1.0 and managed to fully load it and it still went. Bit scary but it was a very decent car and took a bit of a hammering.

One thing - how many miles has it done?

It says that it has done 63,000; I've checked out the service history by ringing the Volkswagen dealer it came from. It was given the full Volkswagen service in 2002 and 2003, and it had done 52,000 miles in Feb 2003. Since then it has gone to local garages. It does have a full service history that I will be seeing tomorrow.

My gut instinct, after talking to the guy, is that he is quite posh and well-off, has bought his wife a new car and now just wants this off his drive with a minimum of fuss. I just wanted to be cautious as you're right, it is my first car, and I don't have enough money to be buying into a potential horror...
Personally, if it checks out mechanically, I'd have it.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Dalglish
I don't know if I should be paranoid

>>

don't be. i suggest that you go and look at it. if your gut feeling is that it is ok, and then buy it. but if you want to have it looked over, tell the owner that you would like to make him a prvisional offer subject to a new mot - if it passes you will pay, if it fails then the deal is off.

I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - carl_a
I don't now how tall you are verytallgirl, but the polo has very little room and I doubt it has PAS.

Much better off in a Micra, better engine, better built , PAS and more room for legs.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - johncyprus
If you don't know about cars take someone with you who does or get a RAC/AA report. Further to Carl's post, yes Micra's are cracking cars and are very spacious inside ( I'm 6'1" ). Just sold my beloved Micra , lovely old boy came round looked at it gave me the full asking price and drove off. He was lucky because the car was a gem but there are lots of low life out there who will take advantage of one's ignorance.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - bell boy
i agree with everything said verytallgirl the main one is power steering i always find these 1.0 litres are a bit sticky to sell because they dont have it,my suggestion to you is go view if you are happy with car (drive it) and man, kick him for 12.... as hes told you its in the way and put the money saved towards any future costs/servicing required if he says no then i would walk.
i agree with everything said verytallgirl the main one is power
steering i always find these 1.0 litres are a bit sticky
to sell because they dont have it,

after the facelift, they did have it -- at least mum's has, and that wasn't a special order. 2000 Polo 1.0 base, no options ordered.

98 "S" 1.0 LITRE never seen one with power.
I wouldn't worry anyway. I've driven the exact car you're on about only an M reg one and the steering isn't anywhere near as heavy as people are making out.
98 "S" 1.0 LITRE never seen one with power.

Sorry oldman, for some reason I had overlooked the "98S" in the thread title and got it into my head this was a 2000 car. Duh!
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Dalglish
got it into my head this was a 2000 car. Duh!

so presumably the valutions you gave in your initial post above will need adjusting !

>> got it into my head this was a 2000 car.
Duh!
so presumably the valutions you gave in your initial post above
will need adjusting !

Thanks Dalglish, you're right .., tho mercifully I did say it was a value for a 2000v-reg 1-litre Polo, so hopefully vtg will have spotted that it was the wrong value.

For the correct values see tinyurl.com/7a2bl

Private Good £ 1345
Private Poor £ 795

(both are for a five-door; dunno if vtg is looking at a 3 or 5 door)

So the £1500 being asked is actually higher than the "good condition" value, about twice the "poor" value.
I don't now how tall you are verytallgirl, but the polo
has very little room and I doubt it has PAS.

My mum's 2000 Polo 1.0 (post-facelift) has PAS; dunno about the pre-facelift models. I'm 5'10", which is quite tall by female standards, and it's quite roomy enough for me to get comfortable. I guess it depends how tall verytallgirl is -- some wmn would say hat at 5'10 I am very tall!
Much better off in a Micra, better engine, better built ,
PAS and more room for legs.

I dunno. My mum had a Micra before the Polo, and it wasn't half as reassuring to drive. They are nice cars, the Micras, but I'd say they are more of an urban vehicle than the Polo. The 1.0 Polo engine is no fireball, and I don't think it's as powerful as the Micra, but it revs willingly and hustles the car along quite adequately as long as you don't demand great acceleration.

My Mum is a much more confident driver in her Polo than she was in her Micra, which seemed to get buffeted around a lot more. he only situation I'd prefer the Micra would be around town, where it is easier to park.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - richy
Welcome to the backroom VTG.

Have you considered a Ford Ka? Very cheap group 2 insurance, more poke, tidier to drive, just as tough and cheap as chips when it comes to parts.

If you heart's set out on the Polo then by all means go for it, but make sure you take someone along who knows what they're looking for and haggle hard. Take along a copy of the autotrader and show the seller all the ones that are advertised even cheaper, and if they fancy paying for another weeks advert at ~£35 a go. Good luck.
ok, so I went to see it:

1 - there was the infamous mayonnaise gunge on the cap.

2 - the 'scratch' on the front turned out to be evidence of a real clonk on a gatepost or something - the bit of metal that runs under the headlight and joins the wing was pushed out. Apparently this was done FOUR YEARS ago; why something has not been done about it I do not know.

3 - the service history book had no service registered in 2002, and 2003, when Volkswagen have told me it was done in those years. I called the garage that did the servicing logged in the book, and they have more services registered on the car than is shown in the book.

4 - they also have it as sold as used in 2001; he says his wife has owned it since 1999.

I said I'd think about it and left, but methinks the smell of fish is too bad, and he'll be getting a polite 'thanks, but no' call later today...

And to think I was looking forward so much to not having to scour the internet, *sigh*

By the way, I'm six foot two, and I fitted in it pretty well. Very comfy seats...
thanks for replying though its nice to read a feedback answer,i will just add that polo"s are proper built stong cars so if you liked it i would look for another if i was you ideally a 1400 with the better spec if budget/insurance can stand it,so much better built than a micra with minimum rust protection.

good luck.
How about a 306? (I'm completely unbiased here of course!)

I'm six foot and fit in, lots of airbags, galvanised so won't rust, cheap insurance groups (2.0 HDi same group as 1.25 16v Fiesta!) lots of standard equipment (On my one, anyway. Not sure what £1500 would get you.)
hmmm, I have considered the 306, but they seem to be in very short supply round here (I live near Guildford in Surrey); obviously people have no wish to part with them! It does make going to see cars a tad awkward though, as you turn up and then can't get in the thing! I seem to be ok in most cars under ten years old, anything older and a long journey would result in temporary paralysis.

The only thing with a Peugeot is that the brakes seem very spongey; I drove my sister's 1.1 106 and thought I was going to die! I demanded she take it to the garage that instant to get them fixed and she, cool as a cucumber, informed me that she had been told by a Peugeot mechanic that this was just the way the brakes were on all the ranges, and that she should just get used to it. I really hate spongey pedals...
I work in Guildford!

The brakes on mine are anything but - the MoT tester commented specifically on how good they were, even compared to a Golf GTi he'd had in earlier. Obviously age is a factor but it sounds like your sisters cars braking system was in need of a bit of TLC!
That's what I thought, but it is only five years old and absolutely immaculate. All tests done, every service adhered to, everything, so I don't see how a potential braking problem could have slipped through the net.

The second hand car market seems to have gone really quiet round here; it's either cars that are great and in the grand scheme of things, total bargains - an immaculate, five year old KA for £1,850.00 being a case in point - but that I can't afford when insurance is factored in, or they are ones that I can afford, but are just shocking condition.

Or, when they fit the bill totally, they are gone within two hours of being advertised; I have phoned for so many, redialling for two hours as the line is engaged, only to be told it has gone by the time I get through.

Argh, I sound like I'm whining and I don't mean to, it just gets frustrating.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Big Bad Dave
Do you have long legs and a short body or a long body and short legs?
I had the same problems myself when trying to find one!

I've never driven a 106 so I couldn't tell you what the brakes are supposed to be like, but I nearly put myself through the windscreen when I first braked in the Pug!

The only other thing is, how about something like a Mondeo? I was looking at them out of curiousity, and because they're less 'racery' the insurance isn't too bad - 1.8 GLX was the same as a 1.3 supermini!
>> The only other thing is, how about something like a Mondeo?

This might sound shallow, but I cannot, and will not, drive a saloon. It would have to be a hatchback. Don't ask me why, and I appreciate that I am probably missing out on a rich and profitable stream of cars, but it's hatchbacks all the way...
>> >> The only other thing is, how about something like
a Mondeo?
This might sound shallow, but I cannot, and will not, drive
a saloon. It would have to be a hatchback.
Don't ask me why, and I appreciate that I am probably
missing out on a rich and profitable stream of cars, but
it's hatchbacks all the way...

Doesn't sound shallow - I didn't get one either! Horses for courses. I just don't need a car that big. Shame there's no small hatchbacks with proper big car features...
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Pezzer
Mondeos come in both hatch and saloon guise. In fact hatchbacks are more common than saloons !
Neither: I'm actually very fortunate and don't fall into either of those extreme categories. I'm in proportion, just tall. It makes it a bit easier re clothes, fitting in car seats, that sort of thing.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - local yokel
With your budget you could also consider a Punto - without a sunroof, I'd suggest. I'm only 6', but my daughter's Punto is easy without PAS, and has plenty of room behind the driver, even with the seat fully back.

Puntos do have a reputation for blowing head gaskets if not cared for, but the 55 and 60 (1100 and 1200) are group 3 and 4.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - turbo11
rust on the inner arch, on polo's of that age is common.As for scratches,bear in mind your talking about a nearly eight year old car.If you test drive it,feel what the clutch is like.Will probably need replacing around 70,000 miles(£250 job).Also see if the power steering struggles on full lock.
I might be buying a 1998 'S' 1.0 VW Polo - Blue {P}
Polos of that age have always seemed quite prone to rust, most of the ones that I've looked at are starting to show signs of it, particularly along the sill, they're good cars but nothing special.

I'd try and find another, better specced one or check for a similar Fiesta, you may find that you get more car for the money, if you get the 16V engine then they drive very well and don't rust much worse than a Polo unless it's a bad'un.

Blue