Reasonable reapir price ;o) - R75
My Honda decided to drop it's guts over the road last week, I did not have a clue as to what it was, so took it to our local independent (whose workshop is cleaner then any main dealers I have been to) and he has just told me it was the oil seal at the end of the crank (common fault on this engine, also fitted to rover). Now the engine has 180k on the clock and costs us next to nothing each year, so I am going to spend the £270 to get it done, this includes what amounts to a service as well as the oil seal and drive belts being replaced - I happen to think this is a good price but if anyone thinks this is overcharging I would be glad to hear from them. ;o)
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - Hamsafar
I don't know what model or engine it is but I would have thought £188.45 would be a fairer figure.
Oops, It's a 93' Prelude 2.3i. What makes you think it is nearly £100 over the top? I know he carges about £38ph labour and this must be at least a 3 hour job - But I am no mechinical expert!!
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - Martin Wall
I think the poster was just making a joke - the fact he (or she) stated that they didn't know the car or engine but quoted an exact amount down to the last penny was the giveaway.....
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - smoke
I would have though that was a very reasonable cost. But then again i am paying over £1000 pounds for suspension bushes and drive train bushes to be replaced on the Jag, so being charged 250 pounds sounds like bliss. :-)

Have just had an update on this from the garage - it is all auxillary belts, oil seal, filter, and oil as well as a new cam balance belt and timing/cam belt. So not a bad price, 3.5 hours labour for the job. It still sounds a fair price to me.
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - Adam {P}
I have 0 mechanical knowledge and that sounds like an amazing price to me! I would have thought the cam belt on it's own would have been over a ton to change.
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - martint123
As most of that list has to come off to get at the oil seal, it would be false economy at that mileage not to change them whilst its in bits.

Martin
As most of that list has to come off to get
at the oil seal, it would be false economy at that
mileage not to change them whilst its in bits.
Martin

I agree, and would have done anyway, but the fact they are all contaminated with oil means they have to go, just hoping this now also sorts out a problem with warning lights for 4WS and ABS (apparently they share a hydrolic pump and if belt is slipping then lights come on)
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - bell boy
personally at that mileage and age if i couldnt repair it myself i would have scrapped it,there will be a lot more bills round the corner after this one i think.................sorry
It's a Prelude. You don't scrap them if you can fix them for less than 300 quid.
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - bell boy
you do if they have 4ws trust me
My mate's Mum had one up until 250k and loved it. Bought a brand new MG TF and regrets ever getting rid of the Prelude. Despite a few costly problems.
Reasonable reapir price ;o) - Happy Blue!
4WS is so good that I would certainly keep the car just for that if the repair cost is only £270
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
you do if they have 4ws trust me

What makes you say that? I have to say that this is the most reliable car that I have ever used/owned - Will be looking at getting another Honda when finances allow, based on the expierances of owning this one.
personally at that mileage and age if i couldnt repair it
myself i would have scrapped it,there will be a lot more
bills round the corner after this one i think.................sorry

Normally I would agree, but, we have had the car from new, first as FIL company car then onto us, so we know the full history of it, it has been serviced beyond normal recomdations, only problem with it apart from this oil seal is a bit of body rot on the rear wheel arch, which I was going to sort out before the summer, might be a bit delayed now. Also, we need a 2nd car and I could not buy one for £300 that I knew the history of and would be as reliable as this one has been. We actually set a limit of £1000, if it was going to cost over that then it was going on ebay as spares or repairs.