PAS problems Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi - malteser
I have an intermittent problem with the PAS on my 2001 model Fabia,
For no apparent reason the PAS will fail! This can occur while the car is in motion or when it is stationery. If the headlights are on they flicker, sometimes the ASR & ABS warning lights come on & the PAS dies!
The (temporary) cure is simple - just turn off the engine & restart and the PAS is restored.
This can happen several times in one week, or all can be OK for two or three weeks & the problem re-appears.
My local VAG dealer says that a new PAS pump is needed, but it seems to me that if this was so there would not be any PAS available at all. The fault seems more electrical related than anything else.
I did have a power steering sensor replaced under new car warranty - could this be a recurrance?
Any ideas? - A new pump is around 800 Euros + VAT fitted!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
PAS problems Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi - Aprilia
This has got EPAS hasn't it? (i.e. electric motor). If so, then they are quite well known for failing due to poor quality of part. BBA-Reman sell recon units for £200 and will ship overseas. Its an easy DIY job to R&R.
I don't know that it is electric PAS - the dealer said a new PUMP. Also I enquired some time ago about altering the amount of assistence and was told "Not on this model - it's fixed"
--
PAS problems Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi - Aprilia
Sorry, I did explain very well. I think its PAS but with an electric-motor driven fluid pump (i.e. should have called it 'electro-hydraulic power steering'). I think it is this type, and BBA-Reman do the motor/pump assembly as I mentioned. Look under the bonnet and see where the PAS pipes run to....
PAS problems Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi - bert-j
Go to www.briskoda.net/forums/
Lots of expert there to help you.
Thanks, Bert-j,
I'm already a member!
Still waiting for a response from there - I posted the quey just after I asked here!
--