RAC Windscreens - J1mbo
Anyone got any experiances of using them? I have a stone chip which is now a 5 inch long crack just above the passenger wiper blade. Would they replace the windscreen? Interested to know if there is anything I should watch out for or check.

I have rain and light sensors in the screen. They would'nt offer me a mobile fitting cos of the cold weather.

Cheers.
RAC Windscreens - Cyd
Yes, I have experience of RAC Windscreens. the screen currently in my Rover 800 is an RAC Windscreen (it says RAC Windscreens in the bottom left corner).

Personally I would not recommend them. The service and price were good, but despite the blurb I contend the screen is not up to OEM spec.

The original screen in my car was a Pilkington one (used to be Triplex branded). The new shade band on the new screen is not as deep nor as dark as the Pilkington one and I now get more sun glare from around the visor edges and from above the mirror.

The overall tint on the screen is also less than that of the Pilkington original and as a result the screen lets in more of the suns heat when driving toward the sun. I can feel it on my body and arms. It is possible to actually see that the tint is lighter by comparing the screen with the original side glass. This is particularly upsetting since the car has no aircon.

BTW: i deal with Pilkington as an automotive glass supplier and have shown the screen to the engineer I deal with. His comment went along the lines of "you get what you pay for". It's just a shame my screens are out of series production now - he would have got me one!!

Pay the extra and have a screen fitted that bears the same manufacturer mark as the original.
RAC Windscreens - John S
Jimbo

They fixed a chip on my screen a couple of months back. Used a pressure method to force in the fluid, rather than the vacuum method I've seen used before, but it worked as well as any chip repair I've had done before.

I think you have no option but a new screen. None of the chip repairs will be usable on a 5 inch crack. The limit seems to be chips which fit within a 25mm or thereabouts diameter circle.

JS
RAC Windscreens - Hamsafar
J1MBO, just say you have high standards, and have been disappointed with pattern screens on previous cars and they had to be replaced with peoper ones, cite distortion around the edges, and a tint which doesn't match the side windows. Ask for a proper one, they can only say no. Also ask for new weatherstrip, as unless you do they will reuse it if undamaged and once the new window is in they can'r replace it without removing the screen (thus breaking it).
RAC Windscreens - MichaelR
I had my Mondeo heated front screen replaced by them.

The screen is identical in quality to the original Ford one, and I believe it's actually a Pikington screen.
RAC Windscreens - J1mbo
Hi, will speak to insurance as RAC said it would only be an RAC screen and the insurance would have to cover extra cost. The car is a few months old so I would like an OEM screen. Only problem is how long it takes for them to be ordered if they say yes. Will let you all know.

Cheers for all the replies.
RAC Windscreens - J1mbo
They said yes but I need to makeup the differance. Any ideas what the extra might be? I've no idea how much a screen costs. Will be told tommorow the exact amount.
RAC Windscreens - bell boy
surely you can insist that your screen is as good as o.e. and by the fact you can upgrade at your cost then the one you have been offered "is" second rate?
RAC Windscreens - Cyd
Be prepared for a shock.

Do you have to go to RAC? Try Autoglass and just ask for an OEM screen. Or, if the car is not very old, go to your dealer.

I don't see how your insurance can refuse you an OEM screen - it is, after all, the only way you can really guarantee the car is maintained to the same standards and specification as it came out the factory. unless someone else knows different!
RAC Windscreens - J1mbo
Its simple, RAC make their own screens and fit them. It means its cheaper for the insurance co and for RAC.

I will prolly phone the dealer and find a price but insurance would only pay a max of £50 if I arrange it myself. I do feel that the screen should the same as the original factory fit.

However, if the dealer did do the work, is it possible that they would get a screen from RAC or even get them to do the work!!?
RAC Windscreens - Hamsafar
I suppose it is a question of the excess, go elsewhere and you lose the concessions on the full excess.

I would still insist on a like-for-like replacement.

My Omega's GM Splintex screen was replaced with a pattern (Saint Gobain) part by Autoglass.
I was not very pleased with it, so searched the internet with the part number, I found a trade catalogue of them on a Finnish website, after doing the currency conversion, it was £58, just £8 more than my excess!
After I complained just the once, they organised to replace it with a GM one. It took 3 weeks to arrive (so they said).
RAC Windscreens - Bill Payer
RAC replaced the screen on my daughters 54 reg Seat Ibiza when it was just a few weeks old. I was concerned to get the same quality of screen and about the warranty implications (especially as bonded screens form part of the structure of the car).
The fitter told me there was only one source for the replacement screens, and it would come from the same factory as the Seat screen, albeit marked with the makers name, rather than Seat.
In the event the screen is made by Guardian, which surprised the fitter, who said they are not the OEM for Seat. However the colour match (a darkish green) and the optical quality (I read somewhere to look across the screen from the side and look for aberrations) both look perfect (and I?m *very* fussy).
RAC Windscreens - henry k
Non matching glass has been around for years.
Quite a few years ago I had a HRW replaced in my Ford.
It fitted OK but was a different profile because the third rear brake light I had fitted no longer matched the contour of the glass so I had to re-install the light.
RAC Windscreens - Cyd
J1mbo, you haven't actually told us what your car is, nor the make of glass fitted.

If I may make a suggestion: If they make glass for your car, get a Pilkington Optikool screen fitted. Worth every penny. My wifes Rover 25 has Optikool glass and I can report that it is marvellous. It's like K-glass for cars - it rejects more of the infrared end of the spectrum to help keep the car cooler in sunny weather and rejects more ultraviolet easing the load on your eyes. If you tell us what your car is, then in the new year i can ask my Pilkington contact if they do these for it, tho' your local glass fitter should know.

My company-supplied Focus has Securit glass - I actually thought it was not tinted for ages after getting the car untill I noticed it says 'tinted' in the markings!! Cheap rubbish. I'd trade the heated screen for Optikool all round any day.

Saint Gobain are an OE supplier too. Never realised they also did cheap, pattern replacements.
RAC Windscreens - oxob
If you have to pay for the work yourself (instead of claiming on the insurance). My tip is try and take your car to their workshops to have the work done. Instead of to getting one of their mobile vans to do the work, As if a van does the work you have to pay a call out fee on top of what you would pay for the work. This is what I was told by one of the RAC technicians.
RAC Windscreens - L'escargot
J1mbo,

I would definitely try to get either an OE screen or at least one made by the same manufacturer ~ this should be as per the OE but probably with different identification markings, i.e. no reference to the car manufacturer. The replacement Solarshield Safevue heated front screen on my Focus had to be replaced because a lot of the heated elements in the first were duff right from the start. The second screen has a few duff elements which I can tolerate, but the heated area is smaller than the original, there is distortion at the top corners, and after barely 6 months the outer surface is showing signs of wear (a frosted appearance) in the areas at both ends of the wipers' travel. I didn't think to ask whether I would get an OE screen, but you can bet your boots I will next time!
--
L\'escargot.
RAC Windscreens - Marc
The RAC bought the Auto Windscreens business.

Auto Windscreens used pattern glass (presume to keep costs down). When I used AW on my old Merc (under my insurance) they fitted Secursiv glass and not MB. When I had to pay for a new windscreen for SWMBO's Volvo (TPFT insurance only) I used the RAC as they were so much cheaper than Autoglass - £120 as opposed to £300. I got an RAC branded purple tint windscreen - the kind you sometimes see on Renaults, I wasn't bothered about originality as the car was 8 years old.

From previous posts I have read on here over the years I get the impression that Autoglass only use OEM glass (their private punter prices would seem to back this up). If I were to need a new screen for my own car (which tends to be under three years old) I would definitely be looking to get an OE screen from Autoglass.
RAC Windscreens - hxj

I had an Autoglass replacement screen fitted a couple of months ago to a Zafira. The cost on a non-insurance basis would have been £625 or thereabouts.

I think that I would have settled for a non-OEM screen at half the price if I was paying!
RAC Windscreens - Paul I
I?ve had two experiences recently of having to have windscreens fitted to both my car and my wife?s. Firstly Autoglass were fantastic: getting an OEM screen in quickly so I would be back on the road, their manner was really professional , the receptionist, fitter etc all seemed competent and gave a good impression.

Where as my wife?s car had to have a rear screen fitted to her Sharan by RAC. Firstly phone a central call centre, then contact a branch who offer? well it could be this one ?oh.. it might be that one ?.OK it?s definitely this one and you?ll have to wait six days !! Then two later a fitter turns up with one (oh I got it from a wholesaler he tells me) he then takes two hours to fit it and scratches it in doing so ? I then have a row with a manager (over whether I should pay now)on the fitters phone who says well bring it in. I also notice that the third brake light doesn?t marry up with it?s cut out !!

That afternoon go to their branch; the manager a least has the balls to agree that it?s not the best job he seen!! He replaces the glass and fits the screen properly but it could have been a more positive experience.

I am in no way connected with either company except as a customer but I?ll be asking which co they use next time it comes round to Insurance quote time.
RAC Windscreens - L'escargot
My company-supplied Focus has Securit glass - I actually thought it
was not tinted for ages after getting the car untill I
noticed it says 'tinted' in the markings!! Cheap rubbish.

The intention is that they are tinted, not obscure!
--
L\'escargot.
RAC Windscreens - Manatee
FWIW I had the screen replaced on a Honda CRV last month by Autoglass (stipulated by the insurer, Liverpool Victoria). The replacement was Honda branded and identical to the original. The retail price on the copy invoice was £528.
RAC Windscreens - J1mbo
Hi all, got it replaced and it was an OE windscreen complete with branded packaging. All sorted now.

Cheers for all comments and help.
RAC Windscreens - Wales Forester
Who did you go to in the end J1mbo?
RAC Windscreens - Sofa Spud
I had a windscreen replaced by RAC a couple of years ago because of a crack. I cannot fault the work but...

As I have 3rd party + F&T insurance only, my screen was uninsured.

RAC gave me a massive 'discount' such that I only paid about one third the 'normal' price, which I assume is what they fleece the insurance companies for, who in turn load it onto our premiums.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

RAC Windscreens - Bill Payer
RAC gave me a massive 'discount' such that I only paid
about one third the 'normal' price, which I assume is what
they fleece the insurance companies for, who in turn load it
onto our premiums.

Funny how people think these things work - the insurance company will pay next to nothing for the screen.
RAC Windscreens - fasterraster2
8< SNIP - naming & shaming removed - DD
RAC Windscreens - Graemetdci
Had to get the heated front screen on my Focus replaced during the past summer after it sustained a large stone chip right in my line of sight. My insurer directed me towards RAC windscreens. I payed the £50 excess and had the windscreen replaced at one of their fitting centres. They had a screen in stock and replaced it quickly and efficiently. However, I did notice that it was not the OEM Sekurit screen but was made by Pilkington instead. I can see no difference however - the tint is identical and all the heating elements work perfectly, although I haven't needed them much this winter due to the distinct lack of frost and ice!
Graeme
RAC Windscreens - smallfish
I needed replacement on my SEAT Leon a couple of weeks ago - and my insurers directed me to the RAC who did the work at their Salford Branch.

I was happy with the standard of the work - no marks or mess inside or out on the car and quick, friendly, efficient service.
Looked fine when i picked it up, I didn't think to thoroughly check the glass until i read this thread. Had good a look now, I too got one branded 'Guardian' like the other SEAT owner who replied.
I honestly can't see any difference between the replacement and my original, if anything it looks better. (maybe just because it is very clean)