Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - corblimeyguvnar
Hello all
The company I work (or worked) for have gone into adminstration, owning a multitude of people their months wages unfortunately also in my case the expenses I have paid out over the past month, this adds up to about £3k!
I have a company car, laptop and phone which of course I cannot keep in recompense but the dilemma is, the adminstrators have requested that I deliver them to my old head office, this would mean a 250 mile round trip at my own expense.
Could any legal type out there suggest whether I am obliged to take the property to them or can I just keep telling them to come and get it at their earliest convenience?
I have had numeroues suggestions from friends including stripping the motor down and posting it, and other very tempting but not entirely legal ideas.
Sensible and accurate advice most appreciated, and any other advice to make me smile would also be most welcome.
Thanks
CBG
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle !
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - StevieC
Post em the keys and tell em where its parked, with all of their worldy goods in it!! ........JOB DONE!!
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - henry k
A few first thoughts

If you can park it off the road then SORN and cash in the RFL.
...another motoring link.
Just trying to save the liquidators money?

Does it start OK? No? Oh! Are you sure the cambelt is OK or perhaps it has been misfueled.
I would not attempt to drive it after that stone damaged the radiator.
When is the flat bed coming to collect it?

How much did you say is it costing them for you to store it?

Do not forget to clean up the PC. i.e. Take off / copy what is yours... Oh dear did you mean to reformat the hard drive.

I guess you should stop using the phone, Period.
Sort out cancelling /suspending the phone contract and take off what phone numbers you may need.

Obviously I am sorry to read of your situation but I would expect some in depth advice to be posted soon.

A very quiet p.s. Time to update your profile.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Hugo {P}
Have you thought of making a cash offer, of £3k for the car, on the basis that the money you're owed could be paid in this way?

The administraters may not be able to consider it but you may get the attention of someone wanting to save a load of work.

I would wait until others have commented on this before doing it, I was just throwing my suggestion into the melting pot. There could be loads of reasons why this is a bad idea.

This is NOT a nice situation to be in. The DoE may be able to help with unpaid salaries, I don't know, but your expenses??
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - madf
Do NOT remove the RFL etc: the car may NOT belong to the company. chances are it is leased.

Tell the administrators where it is: offer to return it IF they will pay your outstanding expenses and your petrol and return fair. Ensure you follow that up IN WRITING.

DO NOT USE THE CAR: the insurance may have lapsed. Refuse to drive on that basis: tell them to collect or guarantee in writing you are insured before you even contemplate driving.

They will reply you are still employed at no cost to them .. it's your duty etc. Tell them politely to go and ...

Don't offer cash for the car.. it may be subject to HP so may not be legally theirs to sell anyway even if not leased.

madf
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - looking4car
A few first thoughts
If you can park it off the road then SORN and
cash in the RFL.
...another motoring link.
Just trying to save the liquidators money?
Does it start OK? No? Oh! Are you sure the cambelt
is OK or perhaps it has been misfueled.
I would not attempt to drive it after that stone damaged
the radiator.
When is the flat bed coming to collect it?
How much did you say is it costing them for you
to store it?
Do not forget to clean up the PC. i.e. Take off
/ copy what is yours... Oh dear did you mean to
reformat the hard drive.
I guess you should stop using the phone, Period.
Sort out cancelling /suspending the phone contract and take off what
phone numbers you may need.
Obviously I am sorry to read of your situation but I
would expect some in depth advice to be posted soon.
A very quiet p.s. Time to update your profile.

This is total nonsense.

The company is bust, gone, kaput. The shareholders get nothing.

If you were stupid enough to want to vandalise the company's assets the only people you will harm are the creditors. HMG, you and your colleagues included.

As often happens on here and in life people are getting 2 different issues mixed up.

1/ What to do about the money you are owed

2/ How to return assets to administrator

Try to think of each separately.
>>This is total nonsense.

You read the original posting?
>>....and any other advice to make me smile would also be most welcome.

Perhaps you cannot distiguish between TIC and sensible advice like actioning the PC. This would also involve password protection issues etc.

>>As often happens on here and in life people are getting 2 different issues mixed up.

I think not.
The number 1 issue in my book would be protecting number one from any further problems. See madf comments supporting this.
This includes any issues in protecting/using any property not owned by you.
This comes BEFORE attending to any money owed or returning/arranging collection of assets.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - looking4car
Perhaps you cannot distiguish between TIC and sensible advice like actioning
the PC. This would also involve password protection issues etc.

Oh yes , I agree , remove personal data from PC and personal belongings from car.

I DO NOT agree with causing criminal damage to property.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - tack
I agree with looking4car.

The poor guy was looking for suitable advice, not some ridiculous verbiage about damaging property etc. What sort of advice is that?

First rule in life is to cover your backside, not expose it for all and sundry to line up and take a kick at it.

So, yes, tell the administrators where the car is and ask them (in writing) to collect it. That is a fair offer. If they won't, then ask them to cover your costs. By all means, remove personal data from the computer and from the mobile telephone. Anything that is company related should stay exactly where it is.

Make sure all is ship shape and Bristol Fashion. At least you can be proud enough to say you have been decent about it all, despite the hardship to yourself.

Hope things work out after Xmas and New Year, best of luck!
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Clanger
Little to add to others advice other than you should get yourself down to the local jobcentre to register and claim your rightful unemployment benefit. Good luck.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - cheddar
The point that the car may not be insured is good advice so don't drive it.

If you are owed outstanding salary and expences you are creditor so register yourself as such with the administrators, put this in writing with evidence, reciepts, anything to prove that expences incurred, fuel etc used was for the company's business then get along to the first creditors meeting if at all possible.

Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Altea Ego
As the company is in effect to blame for the situation, you are under no obligation to do anything that will entail any inconvenience or expense to you.

In effect this means you tell them where all the property is, and they can come and get it. You are however responsible for the safe keeping of the property.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>As the company is in effect to blame for the situation, you are under no obligation to do anything that will entail any inconvenience or expense to you.

That would be my feeling but worth checking on the situation.

>>In effect this means you tell them where all the property is, and they can come and get it.
You are however responsible for the safe keeping of the property.

>>
With regard to the car. Is it owned by the Co. or leased? Is it still insured? Is it still on the road?
The administrators should pay for any expenses you incur in helping them.
You need answers and as previously mentioned and everything IN WRITTING ASAP.

Thank you all for the advice and making me smile, and chortle too.

Would assume the car is leased, but am not entirely certain.
Jobcentre sorted, thanks.
Profile updated, thanks for the reminder.
Phone neatly packed away with the laptop, and in a safe place.
Motor parked outside the house as always, as safe as any motor could be around here.

Administrator rang me on the company phone today and left a message regarding when I would be returning the property, asked me to call her back on her mobile, unfortunately can no longer call out on company phone so deleted message, as I still havent had anything (and I mean anything at all) in writing I shall wait for my official letter. Then politely write back offering to return the bits if they gaurantee my expenses and any outstanding monies.

Once again thanks for all the suggestions, I will sleep sounder tonight, and please keep anything else you think of coming, serious or not.
Cheers
CBG

--
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - NowWheels
v sorry to hear about los of the job, corblimey -- just before christmas is not a great time for that sort of news. Hope you still manange to have a good celebration.

Just one point, though:
Administrator rang me on the company phone today and left a
message regarding when I would be returning the property, asked me
to call her back on her mobile, unfortunately can no longer
call out on company phone so deleted message, as I still
havent had anything (and I mean anything at all) in writing

I'm not sure that's wise -- I think it might better to call back on your landline, and ask her to phone you and pay for the call.
I shall wait for my official letter. Then politely write back
offering to return the bits if they gaurantee my expenses and
any outstanding monies.

You may want to take legal advice on that point, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to make return of the bits conditional on payment of your expenses. Ten minutes with a solicitor or CAB or union rep would be well worthwhile. Maybe madf (who suggested this) knows the law here for certain, but if it was me I'd want to check.

I don't know where your expenses stand in the prioritisation of creditors: I'd hope they'd be near the top, but they might not be :(

Even if they are a priority debt, I dunno when they'd pay out ... and I'd be afraid that if you delayed the return of the car, phone, laptop etc, you might be in trouble for costing the creditors money. If you can legally get away with saying "collect when you pay up", it sounds like a good idea, but do check first whether you are allowed to do.
Would assume the car is leased, but am not entirely certain.

It might have the lease co on the number plate.
Motor parked outside the house as always, as safe as any motor could be around here. Supplying garage might know.

On or off the road? In case it is no longer insured.
My guess is it is probably still insured. But you cannot risk guessing on this one.
Are you still insured to drive it? Perhaps the insurance is restricted to EMPLOYEES / and family, so what is your current status?.
>>
Phone neatly packed away with the laptop, and in a safe place.

Including all cables, accessories, security tokens and chargers etc?
Were any left in the office so you cannot personally return them? Have you in the past signed for any of the kit so there is a check list?
Do extract your entitled to data ASAP in case a courier turns up to collect PC.
Check that any password protected items can be unlocked.
Return PC with locked items and disclose the password when it is back with the administrator?
Any ISP from home paid for by the Co?
I do not know your businees etc so the following may apply.
Obviously a change of business email address. Do you need to advise previous contacts of a replacement email address and or phone number.
Anyone you should contact who might try phoning your business no?
Once again thanks for all the suggestions, I will sleep sounder tonight, and please keep anything else you think of coming, serious or not.

Your sense of humour is still employed. That too is important.

Do we expect a new posting "I need advice on a car now"?

Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - local yokel
Been there, done this before.

Call the administrator confirming the company property that you have and are keeping safe. Ask her to confirm if you are still employed by the company (you are not automatically sacked when a company goes into administration, as I have known of companies trade in administration for many months, with some employees). If you are still employed then you are reasonably obliged to obey her requests, and she is obliged to pay your expenses of getting to/from the office to return property etc.

Clearly if you are sacked then it is her responsiblity to collect property, but you must keep it safely. Even if you are sacked you could agree a price for you to return the vehicle - for her to pay you in cash on arrival.

Best of luck
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Duchess
If you don't recover your expenses, you should be able to claim them as a business deduction on your tax return next April.

Also, if the business is in administration as opposed to receivership, it is probably still trading and your employment status is unaffected.

Best wishes
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - expat
Do everything you can in writing and keep copies of them all. If they phone you write down who you spoke to, date and time of conversation and details of what was said in a diary. Hopefully you will not need all those records but if you do you will be very glad of them.

Sorry to hear of this happening to you especially at this time of year. Hope all goes well and you are soon back in paid employment.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Thommo
Duchess hit the key point but its worth repeating.

Is the company in administration or liquidation? Very important to find out.

Administration is just the creditors taking control from the shareholders. Companies can and do go in to administration and out again, unusual but it happens. If in administration you need to define your status with the administrators pronto. You are still employed. Do they want you to do work for them? Will they continue to pay your wages?

Liquidation its gone. Your expenses make you an unsecured creditor. Lodge your claim but basically your screwed. You can not hold the company assets in lieu of payment but you have absolutely no obligation to return them. Agree a fee (in cash) for returning them or tell them they are ready for collection. If anyone tries to tell you you have a liability to return them demand this in writing stating the legal basis of the obligation, basically they are telling you lies and you are calling them on it.

Conform any verbal discussions with the liquidator in writing.
Hello again you wonderful people.
Definitely in administration and have been telephoned by the administrators on day company went into administration to say I (and 1400 others) was redundant with immediate affect.
Will wait for them to contact me again (as I dont have any writtem comunication from them so have no number to ring) and will communicate with them in a pleasant and helpful manner, but of course using the excellent advice of the BR members.
Thanks again and keep the info coming if you think of anything else.
Cheers
CBG
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Thommo
OK well you don't work for them any more so they can't tell you what to do. If they want the company assets they have to come and get them or pay you to deliver them if you wish to do so.

Remember you are still due any unpaid wages, accrued holiday pay and payment in lieu of notice plus statutory redundancy because they made you redundant. Lodge your claim with the administrators.

If they are declared insolvent and liquidated the unpaid wages, accrued holiday pay and payment in lieu of notice are preferred creditor amounts so you get paid if any money is left at all (unlikely). If they can't pay up you can claim this money off the government (DTI).
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Adam {P}
corblimeygunvnar,

I'm afraid I have nothing to bring to this thread other than my best wishes.

I hope it all works out for you whatever happens.

Adam.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - madf
Well now.. in administration.

First thing to do is find name and address of comapny handling the administration and who is the person in charge.

Compile a complete list of all you are owed: salary, expenses together with all receipts. Ensure it is typed , correct cross checked and adds up (sorry but..).

Then send it by Recorded Delivery : BUT ensure before you do:
1. Copy everything
2. Only send copies of any original invoices.. they may lose the originals...

Note the company property you have in your possession and state the condition it is in (if the car you should wish to photo it)
Ask them what THEY want to do with it.
Tell them you have secured the car offroad and are not driving it: ready for collection anytime agreed with you in advance.

If you have any company credit cards you are personally liable for any outstanding amounts if Amex.. and they will come after you personally for the money. If they do, contact me via the mods ...

Why am I so paranoid? Cos I have seen people collect cars and damage them and the lease company try to recover damages from the driver.

I have had personal experience of both sides both as part of a team of administrators and in administration and i know how painful it can be.

Your job is to make the administrators feel kindly disposed to you by your helpfulness whilst ensuring your rights and claims are not neglected.
Administartors are far more likely to look kindly on dsomone who is helpful than one who is not. There is always scope for some rule bending.

An uncooperative attitude: not returning calls for example or rudeness just ensures they will traet you like 1400 other unfortunates. You have some cards: company property. If you are firm but fair and polite they may help you. If not, well you are no worse off.

Of course if the area where the car is parked is prone to vandalism you should warn them in writing in your letter..

I hope it goes well...

madf
Thanks, and this is most helpful.
I did contact my ex-head office today in search of the 'administrators' but unfortunately it would appear that only the few remaining employed staff were in, administrators probably off on Christmas hols early (cant blame em really).
Anyway, I could get no further info from the people I spoke to, I will try again next week and, as I was today, be most polite.
To be honest I have no bad feeling to the administration team (yet!), so will play it cool, I do wish they would hurry up and send me some written confirmation though.
Anyway, I had better add some motoring content before I get a well deserved ticking off from the mods, anyone know how to get 12000 miles worth of salty filth off a car without putting in any effort whatsoever(I was hoping it was going to get cleaned at the next service but that aint going to happen now is it?!) , and whats the best way to persuade 'er indoors to hoover the motor too? :-).
Cheers all for the help, and the kind words, cheered me up no end and even made the misses smile (slightly).
Toodle Pip
CBG
--
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - R75
Eh - Why?

When I was made redundant a few years ago my car went back to them in the exact state it was in when they let me go - I would not be spending my time cleaning a vehicle I would not be getting any further use from!
>>Tell them you have secured the car offroad and are not driving it:
Is this the case? Is it OFFroad?

>>Of course if the area where the car is parked is prone to vandalism you should warn them in writing in your letter.

I suspect nowt will happen this side of the new year so it will be in your care til then all through the festive season. If you live in an urban area, the risks of damage if left in the road will probably be higher.

>>I could get no further info from the people I spoke to,
So the question, "Is it still insured?" remains unanswered.
A need for extra caution if it needs moving!
Vehicle is now 'offroad' but not exactly secure, as secure as I can get it so will have to do, suppose I'll just have to hope that no little swine takes a fancy to it over the 'Festive' period.
Letter arrived this morning with instructions regarding contact for their property, will write to the contact as detailed above assuring property is as safe as I can possible make it.
Thanks for the help.

A Very Merry Christmas to you all.
CBG
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - sierraman
Vehicle is now 'offroad' but not exactly secure, as secure as I can get it so will have to do, suppose I'll just have to hope that no little swine takes a fancy to it over the 'Festive' period.

Don't worry about it,you have taken reasonable steps to ensure security,if something does happen to it it isn't your car,it isn't your problem.Relax and enjoy tomorrow.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - paulb {P}
Vehicle is now 'offroad' but not exactly secure, as secure as
I can get it so will have to do, suppose I'll
just have to hope that no little swine takes a fancy
to it over the 'Festive' period.
Letter arrived this morning with instructions regarding contact for their property,
will write to the contact as detailed above assuring property is
as safe as I can possible make it.
Thanks for the help.
A Very Merry Christmas to you all.
CBG

Good plan - deapite what some folk in pubs might tell you, anyone who messes around with property under their control which belongs to a company in administration, in order to exact retribution, will tend to find that their claim to arrears of wages, pay in lieu of notice etc etc is offset by a counterclaim against them by the administrators (or in the case of leased cars, the leasing company whic owns the vehicle) to put right the damage. I have heard (although have not been able to verify) that some of the people who worked for Accident Group (or whatever their name was) found this out the hard way.
Hello again
Have had a call from an auction company saying they wish to collect the vehicle next week, my question being, should I release the car without any written confirmation from the adminstrators stating this is ok?, I dont want to leave myself open to accusations of 'giving' the car to just anybody (who knows, they could be baillifs trying to recoup some loses?), contact number for admistrators gets me some young lady who unfortunately is less than useless, she knows nothing, cannot advise me either way.
Oh and slightly off subject, should the admistrators be giving out my private telephone number to people anyway, data protection act and all that?
Thanks again
--
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Hugo {P}
Others may give better advice but I would ask the auction company on who's behalf they are acting.

Ask for the name of the firm of administraters and the name of the contact there.

If it were me I would want a written assurance from the administrators that you should release the vehicle to this company, and when you do, ask the guy collecting it to sigh a receipt for you to keep, and produce to the administrators in case of a problem.

As for the receipt, if this is deemed a good idea by the legal experts here, one of them may or may not feel able to help you with the wording of it.

Hugo
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Navara Van man
Hi I hope january and 2006 brings better luck,

I would make sure you get some sort of reciept confirming that the car has been towed away by X on Behalf of X on whatever date. This way you are not mearly handing over the keys.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - L'escargot
Any chance of e-mailing the administrators? For the e-mail subject you could refer to your employer's name. That way you will be sending an instantaneous message. Also you will be sending the question to the administration company itself in writing, instead of just asking one of it's employees verbally. With any luck the e-mail will get quickly delivered to someone that can quickly give you an authoritative answer.

Failing that, assuming that the administrators are in this country, go and visit them.

Just suggestions as to how you might be able to get an authoratitive answer.
--
L\'escargot.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - J Bonington Jagworth
WRT salaries having priority, this is sadly not the case. If the company has gone down, it is likely that they owe the Revenue and Customs (VAT), and guess who gets priority? This came to a head last year, when Tiny Computers went bust, and natural justice briefly seemed to take hold, but of course this was soon stamped on..

www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/ruling_overturned/

You have drained (your) fuel from the car, haven't you? :-)
Agree with gard - get a receipt.

Data Protection Act not really an issue - they have delegated some work to a contractor - perfectly legal.

You could also write to the administrator advising them of the call you have re'd, and telling them that unless you hear to the contray, that you will be releasing the car to the auction co.
Thanks All (again)

Will definitely get a receipt.
Fuel very near zero.
Have had a copy of the 'authorisation to recover' fax from administrators to auction company sent to me (appears genuine), and the guy at the auction place was as helpful as they come, understood why I was cautious and arranged the fax to be sent to me asap.
Shame I cant kick off about my telephone number be bandied about to anybody.
Suppose I will just have to wait for the call from the auction chappy to arrange collection and say adios to the company motor.

And bringing back another motoring thread, do any insurance companies still do third party only insurance?, I am looking to buy a banger for running around in as SWMBO has requisitioned my other motor and now claims it as 'HERS'

Cheers
CBG
--
"And bringing back another motoring thread, do any insurance companies still do third party only insurance?,"

Admiral group (Bell, Diamond etc) do.
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - Adam {P}
Tesco did a few years ago - that was all I could afford!!
And the story endeth (sort of),
Motor finally picked up by a nice gentleman in a large truck, signed off all the paperwork as received in A1 condition.
Still not heard anything about the rest of the company eqpt (mobile and laptop), I wont say anything if you dont :-).
Oh and by the way, still not got any dosh out of the ex employer, and apparently I'm not going to get a penny. Nice people at the dole office are giving me £56 a week though.

Cheers for all the help.
CBG
--
Dilemma - Legal advice appreciated - NowWheels
Sorry to hear you aren't getting anything from the administraors :(

But good luck in finding new employment :)