Mondeo Big End?? - GrahamM
My son has a 1994 M-reg Mondeo GLX 1.8 petrol, which has always been owned by our family from new (my father, me, my son). It's done 136k miles, a lot of it motorway, and been meticulously maintained and serviced. Son now reports a metallic noise from the engine, which garage says is big-ends and will cost about £500, more than the the car's worth. I haven't heard the noise - son lives 150 miles away, but he describes it as a loud metallic pounding. Is it really likely to be b/e at this mileage? Is there anything else (cheaper!) that it might be ?
Many thanks

GrahamM
Mondeo Big End?? - Peter D
Big ends rattle at start up go quieter when revved up but if held at say 2000 rpm they really rattle. If driven they rattle even more just on the cruise quite quite pronounced. Regards Peter
Mondeo Big End?? - jc
In the old days,we would have put thicker oil in;I can remember stoping on the M1 to put more oil in-straight 40 grade of course-if I went to 50 it fouled the plugs.
Mondeo Big End?? - Cliff Pope
I would have described classic big end knock as more like a rattle than a pounding. Pounding or thumping would have suggested main bearing wear. Still expensive though.
Typically it gets worse as the engine warms up, ie as the oil thins.
Could it be pinking? That can be very loud and metalic-sounding.
Mondeo Big End?? - carl233
I am surprised that this issue would occur potentially at this mileage. The Zetec-E unit is known for its durability. Has the unit been run on the 5-30w semi synthetic oils that Ford recommend? Many of these units have already covered over 250k miles and are still going strong.
Mondeo Big End?? - kithmo
Big end or main crank bearing failure can be confirmed by low oil pressure. Ask your son if the oil light is staying on at lower revs (e.g. tickover), if so then I'm afraid the garage gave a correct diagnosis. Best way to go, if the rest of the car is good, is to get a second hand motor from a breakers.
Mondeo Big End?? - Civic8
if it has timing belt be inclined to check it has not slipped,ie valves touching pistons.would be surprised if it is big ends/mains
--
Steve