Advice - car written off - arnold2
Well, round 2 of my Corolla saga is the crash repairer thinks the car written off - Insurance Company sending engineer to confirm. Car probably worth £2,000 (2001 S but with 165k miles), so cost of repair - maybe £1500 - nearly equal to worth of the car.

Advise - the car is actually very sound other than this - should I use the settlement to fix the car ? How does one put a car (legally) back on the road once fixed after a write-off ? Will it still be worth anything when I come to sell the car ?

Option 2 is to buy something else with the settlement, but with only £2000 I'm not going to get very much .... and I will be changing the car in 6 months time, anyway ...
Advice - car written off - cumfray1
To put the car legally back on the road it will need a VIC check done (if its CAT C) costs about £35. I also think you will have to send the V5 away or reapply for it. It will need to pass the VIC check b4 the DVLA will issue you a new V5.
Advice - car written off - Turbodog
It seems to be a good time to be a cash buyer right now. You might be able to get a very reasonable vehicle for £2K. I'd say goodbye to the Corolla....
Advice - car written off - AngryJonny
The problem with a write-off is that people are all too wary of he phrase write-off when buying a car. You'll struggle to sell the car for anything like what it's worth.

If you want to repair the car, you'll also have to buy it back from the insurers - once they pay out they own the car.

If you plan to run the car until it's scrap then buy it back and repair - you know it's a good car aside from the damage. If you ever intend to sell it on, take the 2k and (carefully) buy something else.

----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Advice - car written off - Falkirk Bairn
Depends on what exactly is the damage.

Neighbour had his 4x4 written off by a tourist driving on the wrong side of the road and hitting a wall - value about £5,000

Bought it back from the Ins Co and paid about £2,000 to get it fixed. 2 x 2nd hand doors & front wings along with some new steering/suspension parts and 1 x new alloy.

Rest of panel bashes knocked out - whole car resprayed.

His view was apart from the bashes the car was sound and he knew its history having had it for 2/3 years.
Advice - car written off - bell boy
i wouldnt put £1500 into a 165,000 mile car,take the cheque and have a good look through a copy of autotrader over xmas.
Advice - car written off - Hugo {P}
i wouldnt put £1500 into a 165,000 mile car,take the cheque
and have a good look through a copy of autotrader over
xmas.

Yup, you're looking for a car during the best time to buy one ;)
Well, engineer from insurance co' looked at the car today, and reckons it is a write-off - so now have to await the settlement.

So:
What is the MAXIMUM I can get out of them for the value - 1.4s vvti Corolla 2000 3-Door, 165k miles - is £2,000 possible ?

If I decide to go down the route of repairing it, how much will the insurance company want to buy it back off them ?

And, what's the best place to get a new wing, bonnet and front headlamp from, apart from Toyota (who will be expensive, the reason why the quote at the moment is £1500 to repair it, I suspect).
hmm .... anyone care to tell me how my repair quote came to about £1500, when Japarts just called me with the price for the parts - wing, bonnet, headlamp & indicator unit, just over £200 delivered - Japarts stuff is direct from Japan, not breakers .... !
Advice - car written off - mare
hmm .... anyone care to tell me how my repair quote
came to about £1500, when Japarts just called me with the
price for the parts - wing, bonnet, headlamp & indicator unit,
just over £200 delivered - Japarts stuff is direct from Japan,
not breakers .... !

That'll be the main dealer charging upwards of £50 per hour, plus overheads and respray etc etc.

I was quoted £1200 once to sort out a scraped cill (no other panels damaged) on a Skoda Octavia, about 6 times what i expected. I didn't bother in the end and car was PX'ed with £100 knocked off for it. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
I'm going to take the car to a smaller repair place - this was a Skoda garage, in fact, that quoted me that - and get an alternate quote .... !