Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Shona
I put £4 worth of unleaded into my boyfriend's diesel Golf TDI S reg today. Petrol attendant told me it would 'probably' be ok to top it up with diesel and let it run for a few minutes to burn off. It ended up with £40 diesel to £4 petrol and has run fine for a 200 mile return trip. What problems can I expect to happen with this low amount of petrol in the car. (I have read scary things about swarf in the system and cost of replacing whole fuel system etc) - i.e. do I need to confess?!
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - bell boy
no keep stum twill be ok
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - No FM2R
you'll read loads of scary things; end of the world, forever burning in hell, entire engine disintegrating and 500,000 miles etc. etc.

IMO its all rubbish. And certainly £4 out of £44 I cannot believe that you'll have any issue at all. Especially since I assume that there was still some diesel left in the car anyway.

Don't stress. As for confession, well I wouldn't, but that's up to you.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - A_Lees
you'll read loads of scary things; end of the world, forever
burning in hell, entire engine disintegrating and 500,000 miles etc. etc.
IMO its all rubbish. And certainly £4 out of £44 I
cannot believe that you'll have any issue at all. Especially since
I assume that there was still some diesel left in the
car anyway.

Do you know a lot about diesel engines then? I only ask because my passat diesel company car had some petrol put in it in the summer by a colleague it was loaned to. I did not know about this. After 5 trips to the dealer because of poor running it was diagnose as 'misfuel'. It was excluded from warranty and has cost about 2000 to put right. People should be warned about this.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Bromptonaut
Do you know a lot about diesel engines then? I
only ask because my passat diesel company car had some petrol
put in it in the summer by a colleague it was
loaned to. I did not know about this. After 5
trips to the dealer because of poor running it was diagnose
as 'misfuel'. It was excluded from warranty and has cost about
2000 to put right. People should be warned about this.

Mr Lees

NoFM2R speaks with a measure of experience!

Try a forum search for threads he's authored
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - A_Lees
Mr Lees
NoFM2R speaks with a measure of experience!
Try a forum search for threads he's authored

I don't mean to offend anyone I was just asking whether it was an expert opinion or not. I've just done a search and nothing comes up that makes me think he is a diesel engine mechanic. I speak with a measure of experience as well. My diesel car was killed by putting some petrol in and it caused me no end of problems. I think people need to be warned. I have heard from my dealer that this has happened to many other people and they check faulty diesel cars very carefully for petrol in the diesel. The problem should not be belittled.

Cheers.

Ashley.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - cheddar
>> Mr Lees
>>
>> NoFM2R speaks with a measure of experience!
>>
>> Try a forum search for threads he's authored
>>
I don't mean to offend anyone I was just asking whether
it was an expert opinion or not. I've just done a
search and nothing comes up that makes me think he is
a diesel engine mechanic. I speak with a measure of
experience as well. My diesel car was killed by putting some
petrol in and it caused me no end of problems. I
think people need to be warned. I have heard from my
dealer that this has happened to many other people and they
check faulty diesel cars very carefully for petrol in the diesel.
The problem should not be belittled.

No FM2R informed the forum that someone had put petrol in his diesel Galaxy which has the VW 1.9 PD engine, I am not sure if has updated the forum re any ensuing problems though from his earlier post I would guess that he got away with it. However it is clear that he speaks with "a measure of experience" of the problem if not as a diesel engine expert.

Regards.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - smokie
Which wraps up the No FM2R question, Ashley

Now, the person you really need to answer this is someone like Aprilia as I believe he is something of an expert in that area...

smokie, BR Moderator

EDIT: Wed 07:50.

My comment above was meant to head off the inevitable, and to kill this part of the thread. So everything after it has been hidden, as will any further posts on the same theme

Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Adam {P}
How much petrol did your colleague put in? I'm guessing a fair bit more than a fiver's worth.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Martin1981
If it has run fine for 200 miles without any problems since you 'wrong fuelled' it, then I wouldn't worry. After all, £4 only buys you around 5 litres at today's prices so its a relatively small amount of petrol. If you put 10 or more litres in then it would have probably been a different story. For example a friend put £40 worth of petrol in his Mum's VW Passatt TDI and ended up paying about £200 to have the fuel system drained and cleaned! You definitely did the right thing of filling the rest of the tank to the top with diesel though!!

Martin
Cheers guys(Big sigh of relief!)

Next question then - I have been told that I should let the full tank run right down to ensure as much petrol is out of system as possible, but have read elsewhere that I should keep topping up at 3/4 full for a bit to dilute petrol.....does anyone know the correct answer?!

I can cope with 'fessing up as long as it isn't going to cost me/ him a few grand!
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Group B
My vote would be to stick some more diesel in now to dilute it further, just to be on the safe side. But I wouldnt think its necessary to keep doing it repeatedly.
IMO if anything was going to go wrong, it would have been in the first five miles.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Steve Pearce
Diesel has a higher specific density then petrol so the petrol will tend to rise to the top of the tank. So it might not dilute quite as fast as you might imagine.

I've also heard that in very cold climates it's common to run diesel engines on a 25%/75% mix of petrol/diesel to stop it waxing. Not sure if modern high pressure diesel systems would be happy with that however...
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - jc
Modern fuel systems which are continually returning fuel to the tank will not allow them to seperate which was not likely in the first place.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Xileno {P}
Definitely not.
An 'S' reg I think is pre PD engine, so I would not be too bothered about this.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Lounge Lizard
Diesel has a higher specific density then petrol so the petrol
will tend to rise to the top of the tank. So
it might not dilute quite as fast as you might imagine.
be happy with that however...

It is true that Diesel (0.8gcm-3)is denser than Petrol (0.7gm-3).

However, they are miscible and a typical tank would completely homogenise a mixture of fuels within a very few miles of normal driving. Once mixed, the Diesel and Petrol will NEVER separate; the Petrol will NOT 'rise to the top'

There is no way to separate a Diesel/Petrol mixture except by fractional distillation (Do not try this at home!)

Compare a Diesel/Petrol mixture to a Diesel/Water mixture; or a Petrol/Water mixture. Water is not miscible with either Diesel or Petrol, so if you get Water in your tank then the Water will separate out and settle at the lowest point in the tank; it would be relatively easy to run this Water off from a convenient drain plug or cock.

In fact, both Diesel and Petrol can dissolve a very small amount of water (which would not precipitate out under constant temperature). Petrol and Diesel that you buy at a garage would typically contain several 100 parts per million of dissolved water. If you buy 10 gallons of Diesel then you're paying for about 10cm3 of water. ish.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I did this over a year ago and about the same proportions = 5 Ltrs petrol put in a diesel and then topped off with about 40 ltrs diesel, No problem at all in the subsequent 12,000 miles. I was lucky and so were you!
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - cheddar
>>An 'S' reg I think is pre PD engine, so I would not be too bothered about this.>>

I agree, 10% petrol should be OK though in a later PD or CR diesel it can, not will, can do a lot of damage.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Hugo {P}
IIRC with some very new diesels thic could be a problem. There was an article in the Telegraph Motoring supplement some time ago that talked about the effect on injectors IIRC.

However whilst working for a GM dealership in the early 90s I did this with an unregistered Vauxhall Brava pickup when driving it on trade plates. I actually ran it for around half a mile when it started running very badly!

I limped onto another petrol outlet and brimmed it with diesel. I then ran the engine and it picked up again - Phew!
Often the problem does not raise its head until sometime in the future. We didn't hear the end of the story from No FM2R but he may not have heard the last of it... (I hope I'm wrong Mark)

The older generation diesels could tolerate mis-fuelling but the latest high pressured common rail designs are not at all tolerant to having petrol put in them.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - L'escargot
Nobody ever seems to mention putting diesel into a petrol car. Is this because a diesel pump nozzle is a larger diameter then a petrol and won't go in? I've not studied nozzle diameters (never had a diesel) but I understand that there are differences. It's high time that the size and/or shape of nozzles and filler necks were made such that it would be impossible to put the wrong fuel into any car. It wouldn't be that difficult.
--
L\'escargot.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - SlidingPillar
I've done it. Absolutly positive I'd filled my 10 litre can with petrol - but I had filled it with diesel. Added it to about half a gallon of real petrol in the tank, and could not start the vintage car at all.

Due to a misaligned starter, I trashed my flywheel too.

Luckily, I was able to buy a new flywheel for less £90 and about a mornings work got things swapped over.

As the tank and quantities were small, the fuel disposal problems were simple. I probably could have just put it in my diesel landrover, but I don't think intentional misfueling is a good idea, so I had a rather enthusiastic bonfire in my garden.

Until fuel companies started playing around with hose colours I'm sure there was less of this, but there is no way nozzle sizes could be used. As you'd always be able to get the smaller nozzle in the larger hole!

Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - mss1tw
Square peg round hole is what's needed.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - henry k
Square peg round hole is what's needed.

>>
A good try.
IIRC a few moons ago someone gave the link to a patented solution. IIRC it included an oval nozzle as one of the varients. It was not possible to put the wrong spout in the tank.
The BIG problem seemed to be that although it seemed a good idea, implementing it was virtually impossible. Not just converting UK over time but UK visitors etc could have problems.
Oh an I guess EU approval would be required.
<< but there is no way nozzle
sizes could be used. As you'd always be able to get
the smaller nozzle in the larger hole!

You're right, of course, about different nozzle sizes in isolation. I confused the issue by mentioning them.

I was really thinking more along the lines of a number of axial flutes equispaced around the circumference on the inside of filler necks and corresponding projections on the outside of pump nozzles ~ say two for petrol and three for diesel. Two into three won't go, and three into two won't go. The diameters could then be the same for both. The suggested number of flutes (two and three) might cause a problem by restricting the number of orientations of the nozzle that they allowed, in which case the number of flutes could be increased as necessary. The only requirement would be that one number should not be a multiple of the other. Provision would have to be made for the new nozzle design to be compatible with existing filler necks, and the old nozzles to be compatible with new filler necks but this wouldn't be difficult to achieve. It might even be possible to get round this by having fluted inserts to put into the filler necks of existing vehicles.
--
L\'escargot.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Altea Ego
"axial flutes equispaced around the circumference on the inside of filler necks and corresponding projections on the outside of pump nozzles"

These are very big complex words for a soft-bodied invertebrate!
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - BobbyG
Another great idea - why not have a sign above each nozzle saying what it is? And back this up by the digital display that shows what fuel you have chosen.

Oh thats right, we already have that. But lets blame everyone else anyway for our mistakes.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Altea Ego
Oh BobbyG, let us hope, nay PREY you dont come on here in the next 24 months saying "Help wrong.........Scenic"
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - BobbyG
If I did , do you think I would come on here to tell you all!

Nae Chance!!
Its alright being sarcastic sbout it, but its a big problem and its growing. The AA website says 120000 people do it per year and its increasing as diesel car ownership increases. 56% of people doing it are men.

I've been mad about cars since I was 4 years old, and consider myself to have a pretty good mechanical knowledge, but I'll hold up my hand and admit to doing it. Due to various factors (had been driving a petrol car for a week) and a temporary lack on concentration (I was in a rush), I put BP Ultimate petrol instead of BP Ultimate diesel into my Saab TiD. The Ultimate pump nozzles are pretty much similar, just a different shade of blue, and in my haste I thought I'd got the correct one.

The AA launched a campaign in early 2004 to get all pumps colour coded the same, but not every fuel company has heeded it.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Aprilia
We can argue about what percentage of petrol will cause problems, but the only safe amount is 'zero'. I have heard of lots of HP pumps failing and major fuel system work being done so it does seem to be a significant problem. There really does need to be some form of 'interlock' system to prevent misfuelling - especially with many people using rental cars or borrowing company vehicles etc.
Personally I would not want to buy a used high-pressure Diesel. You don't know if its just had a major misfuelling and the owner is getting shot. This would apply particularly to ex-rental Diesels, which are probably more likely than most to have been misfuelled at some time.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Cliff Pope
The best solution would be to go back to entirely separate pumps. "THIS LANE DIESEL ONLY" ought to sort out most people.

Alternatively, have a button on the pump console where you have to click YES to confirm that you want to put in diesel - a bit like deleting a computer file. (YOU ARE ABOUT TO WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE _ CLICK YES IF OK)
If you force people to actively make a choice, rather than just grabbing a nozzle and firing it, they might think a bit harder - what do I want to put in this car? Have I made the right selection?
Ok - I'm not entirely thick (I can even manage to check the oil and water myself and probably change a tyre at a push:), but when I drive a petrol car everyday and then borrow my fiance's car very infrequently, even having a big sign above the pumps and different colours does not help me when I'm fighting rush hour traffic from Oxford to Cambridge and am thinking about a presentation rather than recalling that the Golf is a diesel not a petrol car.

Himself works on the rally championships (nothing mechanical) and one of the camera crew did the same thing to the boss's car in Greece this summer - had to get whole thing drained etc, point being even car obsessed blokes can make the same mistake if driving an unfamiliar car.

Anyway, I confessed and he was very good about it (though car is still working so remains to be seen if attitude changes!) - nicer than I would have been if he had done the same thing to my car!

Thanks for all your advice and opinions - guess it is just a case of wait and see as any damage has probably been done by now. I topped it up again last night on way home so now 59 litres D to 4 litres P so fingers crossed......
We can argue about what percentage of petrol will cause problems,
but the only safe amount is 'zero'.

Is it not the case though that modern Common Rail and PD engines are much more susceptible to damage than with older types of diesel engine?
Can we make that distinction? Of course there will be exceptions, you cannot guarantee that damage will not occur in an older car, and if someone decides to brim the tank with diesel and drive away rather than having it drained, then thats the risk they decide to take.

I put £15 quids worth of petrol in my 1999 Saab, and went the whole hog and drove off in it. After a mile the engine cut out, I got it towed to a garage and it cost me £70 (including new fuel) to have the tank drained, fuel lines flushed, and new fuel filter fitted. Its now 8 months/ 17k miles later and I've not yet had any problems with it. My car has the Bosch VP44 injection pump which has a reputation for problems on diesel, never mind petrol!
I got advice from a well respected Saab mechanic who said, "it should be okay, it should not have caused any damage". And another mechanic who said, "we've done loads of these, we've never had any damage on one to my knowledge".

If you do this in a PD or CR engined car, then best of luck to you. If you do it in an older TDi car, and someone tells you you need new injectors and injector pump, then I would try to get a second opinion.
Re: Help - Wrong fuel!! - Dalglish
I got advice from a well respected Saab mechanic who
said, "it should be okay, it should not have caused any
damage". And another mechanic who said, "we've done loads of
these, we've never had any damage on one to my knowledge".

>>

you will find loads of cases where this is true, and you will find loads of cases where people have been panicked in to spending hundreds or thousands or pounds on "preventative work".

i have yet to find any documented case of actual real damage ( whether short-term or long-term), rather than "may damage your engine in the long term etc. ".

i am with no-fm2r on this one. all this scaremongering is designed to fleece money off the gullible section of motorists. as i think no-fm2r said in his own thread, you will be better off waiting to see if any of this forecast damage materialises, and if it does and you are still the owner of the car, pay for it to be repaired then.

of course if you ask the "experts" (health and safety people are the worst at this ) they will say "zero" tolerance is the best.

they would probably tell you that the best way to avoid damaging your engine is never to drive your car !
"axial flutes equispaced around the circumference on the inside of filler
necks and corresponding projections on the outside of pump nozzles"
These are very big complex words for a soft-bodied invertebrate!

As Roy Jay used to say "Slither, you'll all be doing it tomorrow."!
--
L\'escargot.