How do young guys afford flash motors? - uk2usa
I saw some posts on here about guys in their early 20s looking for flash motors worth about 10-15k. This is not a specific question directed at these particular cases, more a general curiosity. How do they afford it? Other than the odd dot com whizz kid, do most young guys get the money from their parents? When I was last back in the UK at Christmas, I saw loads of very young guys in BMWs, Golf turbos etc. Maybe this is the new found economic prosperity which has been occurring in my absence. When I was that age (which wasnt that long ago), the most expensive motor I had cost 800 quid!

BTW, I'm not trying to have a go at anyone-if you have the money, then enjoy it!

How do young guys afford flash motors? - Blue {P}
Long, long hours in the sweatshop, erm, I mean call handling facility. They all pay off in the end. :-)

Many people I work with do a poxy 20 hour working week around their college course and complain that they can't afford a new car, I worked my little behind off for 34 hours a week around college and uni and have mostly driven brand new since the age of 18...

Those who drive around in really really flash stuff though probably have parental help or they really are dot com millionaires. Most of my other friends in brand new cars were all given them by parents...

Blue
How do young guys afford flash motors? - L'escargot
Company cars?
--
L\'escargot.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Halmer
Proceeds of crime like some of the older guys?
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Xileno {P}
My views for what they're worth:

1. In real terms new cars are much cheaper.

2. A lot of youngsters are completely priced out of the property market so are living at home. The average age of a first time buyer in now 35. Living at home is nice and cheap, so they can afford a flash car. When I was 18, I was saving up like mad, driving around in a banger, putting aside everything I could spare to own my first property at aged 23. There is no way I could do that now, the market has gone crazy and I feel very for people now as they seriously screwed.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - P 2501
I think you have got it in one with number 2.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - adverse camber
credit ? (or debt as I like to think of it)

I think that Xileno has the major part of it though - with uk property so expensive, the prospect of even buying a small starter property is so far out of reach to many young people that it isnt even worth starting to save (as they see it).

Debt seems to be all pervasive thesee days and with pcp so similar to hp (many dont understand the difference anyway)and if I were a graduate with £15K student debt and needed a car, I dare say that one of the cheap mfr credit schemes works out a good price compared with bank loans or needing cash to buy.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - martint123
Nice flash new car gives free insurance - a substantial percentage of the cost of the vehicle for a young driver.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Roly93
My views for what they're worth:
1. In real terms new cars are much cheaper.
2. A lot of youngsters are completely priced out of the
property market so are living at home. The average age of
a first time buyer in now 35. Living at home is
nice and cheap, so they can afford a flash car. When
I was 18, I was saving up like mad, driving around
in a banger, putting aside everything I could spare to own
my first property at aged 23. There is no way I
could do that now, the market has gone crazy and I
feel very for people now as they seriously screwed.

Thoroughly agree !!
In summary, no : wife/kids/mortgage/council tax/utility bills/no hope of being able to afford their own house !
How do young guys afford flash motors? - No FM2R
>>Company cars?

Could be. Back in the 90s when the whole SAP thing was going nuts, I always gave the kiddies flash cars - much cheaper.

It might have cost me £500pcm (£6k pa)to give them a BMW/Silly Clio/ whatever. Whereas it might have cost me an extra £10 - £15k to keep them with cash.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - machika
A recent programme on TV studied the spending habits of 18 to 30 year olds and found they have no thoughts of saving for anything. I appreciate the property market makes in damn near impossible to start out in property ownership but it is not impossible, if some initial attempt to save a deposit is made. A lot in this age group just seem content to stay with their parents well into their 30s, and beyond, and continue to have a good time, including spending a tremendous amount of money on alcohol.

In addition many are often in constant debt and rely on parents to get them out of it. I think an awful lot of young people are relying upon an inheritance to see them through old age.

A lot of young people see no point in saving, unless you have two incomes it is now almost impossible to get on the property ladder. The Government has a lot to answer for, they need to create an environment where the young (and not so young) can see and feel the benefits of saving. Not raiding the pension funds would have been a good start. Reduncing stamp duty would be another.

Very few of the youngsters I have met prefer to stay at home. You will always have some who prefer Mum's cooking and laundry but most youngsters I have come across are there through economic circumstances.

I wouldn't want to be 20 again. I think the first time buyers have got it bad at the moment.

So yes, go out and blow your money on a car. I would probably do the same now.
Long, long hours in the sweatshop, erm, I mean call handling
facility. They all pay off in the end. :-)
Many people I work with do a poxy 20 hour working
week around their college course and complain that they can't afford
a new car, I worked my little behind off for 34
hours a week around college and uni and have mostly driven
brand new since the age of 18...
Those who drive around in really really flash stuff though probably
have parental help or they really are dot com millionaires. Most
of my other friends in brand new cars were all given
them by parents...
Blue

And here's me thinking university courses required long hours of study.

I found doing an OU degree demanding enough, on top of 35 hours a week, but then I spread my study over a much longer period than 4 years.

How do young guys afford flash motors? - Altea Ego
Mind swings back to first good second hand car in 1973 cost half my annual salary.

HP, father as guarantor.

No mortgage, no outgoings except drink and birth control. (didnt eat much in those days either)
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
How do young guys afford flash motors? - adverse camber
It's tempting to ask if - as you now need a tourvan - you feel that the expense on alcohol should have been shifted to your other priorities?

:-)
The non alcohol money was well spent. I dont *need* a tourvan, I only have one offspring.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Group B
I found doing an OU degree demanding enough, on top of
35 hours a week, but then I spread my study over
a much longer period than 4 years.

Nah, doing a full time degree is a piece of cake (well our BSc Hons was anyway). If you're not working then you have an awful lot of time on your hands. Revising for final exams takes a lot of commitment, though.

Living away from your parents and having almost zero income certainly teaches you the value of money. But the downside is you can end up with debts that take years to pay off.
But I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could. In your early 20's, you dont see the logic in saving a chunk of your hard earned money for when youre too old to enjoy it.
Paying it into a pension thats tax free for all the time you pay into it, then they start taxing you on it when you retire. What a con!

I dont understand people who buy brand new cars though, and waste so much money on depreciation, unless they can really afford it.
I found doing an OU degree demanding enough, on top of
35 hours a week, but then I spread my study over
a much longer period than 4 years.

Never said that ir wasn't demanding, but I manage to fit it all in, I just sacrtfice some aspects (but certainly not all, I'm hammered as I write this!) of my social life and put in a lot more hours than many of my peers.

For example, this year I'll (hopefully) be working xmas day, boxing day, new year's day, and the 2nd January, all at treble time, everyone thinks I'm mad to give up my holiday season, but coupling those few shifts with 3 days of other overtime will earn me another month's salary on top of what I normally pull in.

It's not so hard to get the nice things in life if you;re prepared to work for them... :-)

Oh, I'm also trying to train to be a driving instructor around all of this!

Blue
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Bill Payer
I'm surprised at someone from the US asking this - my US based colleagues tell me the standard college grads car is either BMW325 or Merc C(230?). OK, not many youngsters here would get the Merc, but a BMW325 is something that most people here will *never* own!
How do young guys afford flash motors? - y2k+4
I know several young 20-somethings with flash cars - Merc C230K Sports Coupe, BMW 320iSE, Saab 9-3 Cabrio, MINI Cooper S. All happen to be employed without going to uni, (the Merc is owned by a plumber), but I think the major thing is that they all still live with their parents - and the rent their parents charge is ridiculously low (c. £100/month, inclusive of food/utilities etc). They're paying their cars off (all are finance-agreements) and do a limited mileage. Thanks to their choices, all should suffer quite minimal depreciation, which means (in Nick's words) that if they ever do get married or want to move out, their cars can finance the deposit on the house and they'll get worse ones.

And yes, their savings, as I udnerstand it, are small in relation to what they earn.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - romeo156
I have two memebers of my family whose first car were brand new (one was a VW and the other a Pug).

Basically they financed the cars. When I was 18 I am not sure anyone would have loaned me that kind of cash (and I definetly was not interested in a loan of that size). Now days, credit is so easy to get that they think nothing of it.

Paying that kind of rent will give them no idea of reality. A lot of youngsters of that age get no chance to grow up and face the reality of independence. I know it is nothing to do with cars, apart from owning something they couldn't afford if made to pay a realistic rent.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - bradgate
Cars are now MUCH cheaper in real terms than they have ever been. A new Golf GTi is approx £20k, whereas in the late '80s an eqivalent mk2 Golf GTi 16v would have been around £16k. No comparison.

Also, credit is cheap these days if you shop around. Anyone can get loans for 6%apr and 0% credit card deals. You only live once, and when cheap cars and cheap finiance combine to make driving something nice attainable, why not go for it? I would.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - AngryJonny
Indeed so. I know I'll never be able to afford to buy a property. Even as a higher-rate tax payer I can't afford *anything* anywhere near my work, so I rent (still hugely expensive - I haven't lived with my parents since I was 18) and spend my disposable income on nice stuff. I never intend to marry or have kids and with my lifestyle I'll not live beyond 50 so I don't have to worry about a pension or anything either. I have no need and no reason to save.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
"and with my lifestyle I'll not live beyond 50 so I don't have to worry about a pension or anything either."

Problem is you will think differently when you are 49...
How do young guys afford flash motors? - mss1tw
I know several young 20-somethings with flash cars - Merc C230K
Sports Coupe, BMW 320iSE, Saab 9-3 Cabrio, MINI Cooper S. All
happen to be employed without going to uni, (the Merc is
owned by a plumber), but I think the major thing is
that they all still live with their parents - and the
rent their parents charge is ridiculously low (c. £100/month, inclusive of
food/utilities etc). They're paying their cars off (all are finance-agreements) and
do a limited mileage. Thanks to their choices, all should suffer
quite minimal depreciation, which means (in Nick's words) that if they
ever do get married or want to move out, their cars
can finance the deposit on the house and they'll get worse
ones.
And yes, their savings, as I udnerstand it, are small in
relation to what they earn.

What a pathetic way to live your life. I'm 21, pay £150 a month rent, £150 paying back a small loan for my car (£1500 + £3000 redundancy pay) and save £150. Even then at the end of the month I pay whatever else I can into savings. I plan to run my 306 until it is no longer viable to do so. A very boring way to live, but the way things look now I really can't see a viable alternative.

I can't believe these peoples parents are actively encouraging this sort of thoughtless non-planning.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - AK76
I dont really get why you think this is pathetic. Someone might say your way is pathetically boring.

Each to their own and so it seems they are living for today and in some respects good luck to them. They have plenty of time to live sensibly later on so go and enjoy it.

Whats the difference between them paying c.£100 per month and financing a car, and you paying £150 per month and paying off a car loan?

Chances are the parents are just letting their kids enjoy themselves. Not really non planning as the circumstance isnt representative of their future planning.

Whats the difference between them paying c.£100 per month and financing
a car, and you paying £150 per month and paying off
a car loan?

Depreciation, insurance costs, own servicing, etc...
Chances are the parents are just letting their kids enjoy themselves.
Not really non planning as the circumstance isnt representative of their
future planning.

You haven't heard of the pensions crisis then? Perhaps parents would be a little more helpful if they allowed the learning of a few facts of life. It is no good waiting until their 40s, or later, as a lot are doing, to start thinking of pension provision.

As I said earlier, I think a lot of youngsters are hoping for an inheritance to see them through old age. That attitude can only cover one generation though.
How do know they are not currently in Final Salary Occupational Pension schemes?

And just how many companies have been offering final salary pesnion schemes in the last 4 years?

(excluding the civil service, and emergency services of course)
How do know they are not currently in Final Salary Occupational
Pension schemes?

Chances are, if they are in their twenties and only recently in full time work, there won't be a Final Salary Scheme available to them.
I earn now approximately 40 times what I earned in my 20's. That essentially means if I had wanted to save £150 per month then it would have caused me the same level of grief as saving £3.50.

So whilst I agree that saving is basically a good thing, how sad it would be if I had deprived myself of just about everything in my 20s to save myself £3.50 today.

You will die. Just enjoy life until you do. And much as you set your own definition of enjoyment, allow others to set theirs.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Miller
A lot of these cars may be on lease schemes whereby you pay £X a month for 24/36 months and then hand the car back.

Remember also that bankruptcy rates are rocketing....the price of being seen in the "right" car can be very high!
I earn now approximately 40 times what I earned in my
20's.

Do you mean per hour/week/year? Or can I really look forward to earning £64,000 a year?! (16k p.a. at present)
>>Or can I really look forward to earning £64,000 a year?! (16k p.a. at present)

mmm, you missed a zero. So I'm guessing not. 8-)

£16,000 * 40 = £640,000
I earn now approximately 40 times what I earned in my
20's. That essentially means if I had wanted to save £150
per month then it would have caused me the same level
of grief as saving £3.50.

Not everybody will see such an escalation in earnings. However, the value of your salary in your twenties depends how old you are now, of course, so the real value of your income in your twenties will be relative to how long ago that was. In my mid twenties, during the early 70s, I was earning only a little over £1800 per annum, but it would be stupid to equate it to the value of £1800 pounds now.
Not quite what I was trying to get at.

My point being that if I had tried to save every single penny, limiting my ability to enjoy myself at [say] 25 years, I would have done that because of people talking to me about saving for the future, future security, invest over time rather than paying much more later etc. etc.

Not having had that pint in the 80s would have meant me investing an extra quid (actually I can't remember the price of a pint in the 80s) in my pension.

To achieve the same benefit to my pension now I might have to invest 40 times as much - perhaps as much as £40 !!

Doing without a pint when I was 25 would have hurt, stopped me enjoying myself, made me an object of ridicule - ok, ok, but you get the idea. Coughing up £40 these days wouldn't make any impact on my way of life at all.

I guess the message being, don't get carried away with saving and being sensible. Do it, by all means, but don't get carried away. I drove some great cars which were lousy buys, horrible investments and generally shortlived.

THe amount of money I could have saved by not doing those things would be more than nothing today, but not life changing.

I think one's youth is designed to incorporate inapropriate financial decisions; and whether that is a silly car, daft accessories for that car, or something else entirely, that's ok.
A very boring
way to live, but the way things look now I really
can't see a viable alternative.

Prudence is good, but there will be plenty of time for it when you have several kids and a large mortgage. You really are only young once, don't waste it. My brother sold his youth to his employer for a fat salary, and now in his 40's biterly regrets it.
Prudence is good, but there will be plenty of time for
it when you have several kids and a large mortgage. You
really are only young once, don't waste it. My brother sold
his youth to his employer for a fat salary, and now
in his 40's biterly regrets it.

I wish I had the fat salary though...What happened to your brother though?

I'm particularly intruiged by the 'boring' assumption. My hobbies include motor and mountain biking, and other active things as well as more intellectual pursuits like IT, and reading.

I just fail to see how spending so much money on a lump of metal can be seen as good practise for the real world. If I had more money I would have a car priced accordingly. But I haven't, so I don't.

I don't understand those of you saying "I feel sorry for the youngsters, property market, prices, etc" then saying "You only live once, who cares". Double logic there or what?
>>I just fail to see how spending so much money on a lump of metal can be seen as good practise for the real world. If I had more money I would have a car priced accordingly. But I haven't, so I don't>>

You just put it exactly into perspective. These 'kids' may just have the money so are living as such. You dont, so you dont. You need to open your eyes that other people live differently to you and so can afford to do so.

This is a matter of acting out what your view of the world is. These 'kids' obviously just want to have a good time. It does not mean they will suffer later nor will it mean that what are they doing is prudent. Its a lifestyle decision. not a life decision. They have money and enjoy it now, and they frankly couldnt care less about pensions, houses and any other assorted 'technicalities' of their life, because they dont form any part of their life.

They may not need a large deposit through savings as their parents might cover that. They might get an interest only mortgage and let an inheritance take care of it. They might join an employers pension scheme that has great benefits. They might even be in jobs earning £50k plus a year and as such can do all the savings they need when they need.

Whereas you are saving and it appears quite prudent and so what is important to you is delivered.

But lets look at it another way: Your 4% savings return, less 3% inflation = 1% net return.

1% net or a Mini Cooper S? No comparison.

>>I just fail to see how spending so much money on
a lump of metal can be seen as good practise for
the real world. If I had more money I would have
a car priced accordingly. But I haven't, so I don't>>
You just put it exactly into perspective. These 'kids' may just
have the money so are living as such. You dont, so
you dont. You need to open your eyes that other people
live differently to you and so can afford to do so.

But the title of the thread is "How do young guys afford flash motors?"

So I'd assume that most 21 year olds earn the same (Give or take 3 - 4k as me) I don't any that earn more than that (Sadly!)

Otherwise it's obvious how they afford it - they're loaded. I don't think the original poster had these people in mind, because it's obvious how they afford it.

Oh, I can't stand the new Minis. :-P
Depends on how much you earn. Some people do different things.

I worked at 21 and earned £35k p/a. One of my mates at 21 earned £120k p/a in the city. My best mate was at Uni. He spent £35k p/a ;-). All same age. all different.

Assumptions can be misleading.
I worked at 21 and earned £35k p/a. One of my
mates at 21 earned £120k p/a in the city. My best
mate was at Uni. He spent £35k p/a ;-). All same
age. all different.

I believe I just made that point, but as I said those are NOT your average 21 year olds. It's blooming obvious how they afford their flash cars.
Ok, what do you think the average earnings are for a 21 year old?

I know quite a few 21 year old's who are doing nicely thank you very much. But thats only the ones i know who work. Those that are in/went to Uni are skint.

My points have been based not around how they afford the cars, but more your feelings that they have pathetic lifes to live in such a fashion.

With regards to your view on how they afford them i wouldnt disagree.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - The Lawman
If I was 21 again (I wish...) and I was well off enough to afford a swanky motor (and more importantly the insurance), I am still not sure I would have one. All my friends would be driving around in old bangers, and they might be tempted to believe that I was a bit of a flash git. If all my friends were flash gits anyway, it would be a different consideration.
Ok, what do you think the average earnings are for a
21 year old?

Unknown. Am I average? Just over £1000 after tax, etc.
I know quite a few 21 year old's who are doing
nicely thank you very much. But thats only the ones i
know who work. Those that are in/went to Uni are skint.

Thankyou too. I think I am doing 'nicely'. I could afford a loan payment of double what I do (Refering to £300 quoted in later post), but this leaves enough to save £150 towards insurance, tax, maintenance, and also for a rainy day.
My points have been based not around how they afford the
cars, but more your feelings that they have pathetic lifes to
live in such a fashion.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I don't think I said their lives are pathetic though. Just that the attitude is very immature, in my opinion anyway (And I'm no model person). But like you said, it's their life/decision. It just bemuses me, that's all.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - trancer
Loan repayments on 10K is about £300 per month over 36 months.

A McDonald's burger flipper earns nearly 3 times that much and therefore can afford a "flash" motor without being a criminal...even if they might be labelled so when others see them in their flash motor.

Its sad reading some of the replies here, suggesting that someone is not wise or even foolish to spend large amounts of money on a car. I get the same at work when they hear how much I spent for my new car...never mind that these same people spend the same if not more every month on fags, pints at the pub and down the bookies.

Even with the guaranteed devaluation of my car I will still have more to show my expenditures than they will...unless of course they develop lung cancer or liver/kidney disease.

McDonald's pay £30K a year to flip burgers?
I worked at 21 and earned £35k p/a. One of my
mates at 21 earned £120k p/a in the city. My best
mate was at Uni. He spent £35k p/a ;-). All same
age. all different.

>>

First of all, £35K p/a is more than average earnings for the whole working population, never mind a 21 year old. £12OK p/a is not in the same ball park.

How does someone at uni get £35K to spend, unless from very indulgent parents?
How do young guys afford flash motors? - cub leader
same as you in a way mss1tw. I am on my placement year at the mo renting a house but putting away as much as possible for when i leave, cant live at home as is too far away am running a xantia that was my grandads and intend to keep running it until it eventually gives up. Other placement students different ideas, live while your young etc drive to work in leon cupras and sporty rover coupes!!
oh well each to their own.
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
How do young guys afford flash motors? - turbo11
simple.most of them still live with their parents.As they don't have bills,mortgage etc. to pay,they spend their money on flash cars.I know because twenty years ago i was doing the same.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - The Lawman
Well then their parents are rather indulgent. If I had stayed at home, expected to be housed heated and fed for some tiny amount, and then spent my money on some flash wheels, I would have had some home truths pointed out to me in fairly short order.
Well then their parents are rather indulgent. If I had stayed
at home, expected to be housed heated and fed for some
tiny amount, and then spent my money on some flash wheels,
I would have had some home truths pointed out to me
in fairly short order.

That's the point I was trying (Ineffectively) to make. My...what's it called...wordy skills...are not at their best at the end of the day. :-D

Listen

the kids are spending their inheritance before they get it.

(trouble is - I am spending my kids inheritance before he gets it!!!!)
Seriously. My lad is approaching school leaving age. He wont be going to Uni but will be going out to work. To get to work he needs reliable transport. That means, probably not public transport.

Do I set my lad up in his first car, so he can get to work and earn a living?

I know the answer, but what does the team think?
How do young guys afford flash motors? - MichaelR
I suspect I may have prompted this thread as I have in the past posted about my intention to buy a 5 Series, and although my current Mondeo is hardly flash it's also not typically the young guys Saxo.

Different people have different priorities. At my current stage in life, my priorities are enjoying myself and getting a good education. Finding my own place isn't even on the radar and won't be until a long term girl is properly in the equation, so thats the first major expense out of the window.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, my addiction is cars. I'm quite happy to spend the vast majority of my part time income (I work weekends whilst at Uni full time) to run what I consider to be a nice car, and next year whilst on placement I intend to spend the majority of the earnings from that on a sub £10k 5 Series.

Is it silly? Perhaps. Is it stupid? Of course not - different strokes for different folks, and all that :)

One day I'll grow up, realise cars are dead money, sell whatever 'flash Motor' I currently own and join the real world. Until then, I'll enjoy my cars.
One day I'll grow up, realise cars are dead money, sell
whatever 'flash Motor' I currently own and join the real world.

I doubt you'll do that at all ;-)

I bought a 525i when I split up with my then-girlfriend and finally got a say in what I did with my own money. I was 24 at the time and I loved it. More than I loved her? Who knows. It was a fantastic car though.

You'll want to hug it every time you drive it. Enjoy.
----
I intend to spend
the majority of the earnings from that on a sub £10k
5 Series.

What's the insurance like on one of those?
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Dalglish
What's the insurance like on one of those?

>>

cheapish - group 16 to 18 ish.

re- how they can afford it:
as tvm said, it makes sense to spend your inhertitance now rather than wait for gordon brown to take 40% off it. with house prices at the levels they are, a majority of the uk's population is going to end up paying inheritance tax. the best wheeze for passing on assets is not to charge any real rent, or anything at all for that matter, the live-in costs of the "young guys" who stay at home. in fact, the best way to give away your wealth without attracting tax is to subsidise all kind of activities so that they don't get caught by the "gifts" and 7 year "pet" rules.

It's going to be about £1200 comprehensive for a 530i Sport or a 530d Sport, less if I opt for a 525d Sport.
I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, my
addiction is cars. I'm quite happy to spend the vast majority
of my part time income (I work weekends whilst at Uni
full time) to run what I consider to be a nice
car, and next year whilst on placement I intend to spend
the majority of the earnings from that on a sub £10k
5 Series.
Is it silly? Perhaps. Is it stupid? Of course not -
different strokes for different folks, and all that :)
One day I'll grow up, realise cars are dead money, sell
whatever 'flash Motor' I currently own and join the real world.
Until then, I'll enjoy my cars.

Aside from the fact that I don't smoke (never have done), drink next to no alcohol (odd glass of wine or beer) and taking drugs never once crossed my mind, I have what are called living expenses. These are something I have always had but they became very stark from the moment I left the home of my mother and father. Any money earned from being on placement, when I was at college, was needed for these living expenses. A car, when I could afford one, was a means of transport first and foremost.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - cheddar
Do I set my lad up in his first car, so
he can get to work and earn a living?
I know the answer, but what does the team think?

Re mortgage and buy him an SL55, he can pull some lady whats-itsface posh totty with loads a money and be set up for life, you can borrow the Merc and the new inlaws island in the Carribean for a month or so each summer plus get invites for dinner at the Ivy and four balls at all the best courses.

Go on you know it makes sense!
How do young guys afford flash motors? - JH
UK,
There's a line in an old Labi Siffre song "riding round town in a Lotus Elite, huh where'd they get the money from?" so it's not a new question. Debt, I think is the answer.

John
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Adam {P}
I know this wasn't directed at my mate specifically but here's my reply.

My mate earns nearly 40k a year. He's a partner in a business and has decided to spend his money on a car (despite looking for his own apartment too).

I earn nothing. And by the time I finish Uni, probably won't be earning anywhere near as much as him but I'll have a 10 grand debt. It's just the way it goes.

If I was him, I'd be doing the same. As has been said, you're only young once so you may as well enjoy life as you could die tomorrow.

It has amazed me how much money laundering pays off though.
Anyone thinking that their future may be financed by inheritance may be in for a shock. There's a nasty thing called inheritance tax, currently 40% over and above not very much.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Sofa Spud
I'm 50 and both our cars are 10 years old. If we sold our house, which has no mortgage, I could go out and order a brand-new Rolls-Royce Phantom!! Now there's a thought.

Cheers, SS
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Gazza
The problem with flash cars is of course the depreciation. A director of my firm has to sell her 7-month old SLK to move abroad and lost £11k in depreciation.

Even with a 3-series, you are certain to lose around £4k p.a.

Now, I have nothing against flash cars but I much prefer to own flats in London instead as a young guy, at least a flat is much less likely to be stolen or vandalised. Owning a couple of flats in central London sounds (and looks) much better than owning CLK/5-Series/S3/S4 in front of my mates (IMO).
Anyone thinking that their future may be financed by inheritance may
be in for a shock. There's a nasty thing called inheritance
tax, currently 40% over and above not very much.

>>

It would still give a single child over £240K (can't remember current figure), after tax, if any tax is paid. How many people would put away that kind of money in savings, even over a lifetime, if not in property?
In general, aside from some young people having an income much above average, you only have to look at the record levels of debt to know how some of them spend so much. They are living beyond a sustainable level and often depend upon mothers and fathers to bail them out.
Yep. It's usually a case of one or more of the following:

(1) Wealthy parents helping out their kids
(2) Debt
(3) Youngsters having few living expenses on many circumstances
(4) Genuine high salaries in some cases

From about the age of 22 I've been on an ok salary and could have owned a Ferrari if I'd wanted it enough. Most "ordinary" people could. I'd have had to sacrifice a lot. I obviously didn't want it enough to sacrifice everything else I had. To some people their cars are their lives.
----
guys in their early
20s looking for flash motors worth about 10-15k.
curiosity. How do they afford it? Other than the odd
dot com whizz kid, do most young guys get the money
from their parents? When I was last back in the UK
at Christmas, I saw loads of very young guys in BMWs,
Golf turbos etc.

Am currently on my work placement, the grad i am working with has just bout a second hand 5 series BMW, how does he afford it, very easily.
a) lives with parents paying very little rent
b) no dependants (girlfriend etc)
c) reasonable graduate salary
--
Regards the IHT position there are plenty of people putting money in trust so their kids wont have to worry about a tax bill in most situations. Also the more wealth people have the more aware they seem to be about tax and potential issues, so are more inclined to seek assistance.

Certainly with a £275k limit, per person, there can be quite a sizeable inheritance for some people before tax becomes payable. Certainly if married couples make sensible use of will trusts and split estate planning their kids can do quite nicely. or they use a life assurance to cover the tax bill.

There are plenty of ways to plan for tax and still come out with a good amount.
You can make use of the nil rate band on the first death and set up a discretionary trust to pass £275K down with no tax. But many people can't do this since they are in the trap of being capital rich but income poor, especially with high house prices. And of course the nil rate band has not risen as quickly as house prices so more and more people are getting caught. It's a nasty evil tax, it's tax on assets you've already bought with taxed income.
Try a will trust by placing house in tenants in common. split the value in half and each spouse leaves their share up to the nil rate value in the event of death to the beneficiaries. One way to leave (eventually)£550k with no tax.

In fact that builts for capital rich but not income rich.
My understanding is that the nil rate band can only be used once. So on the first death a descretionary trust can be used to pass assets up to the nil rate band to beneficiaries and everything else passes tax free to the surviving spouse. You can't gift an asset and still derive a benefit from it. The Revenue will zap you under the 'Gift with Reservation' rules. So you can't gift half the house value (or up to the nil rate band anyway) and still continue to live in the property unless a market rent is paid on the non-owned share. And it has to be a market rent, not a token £50 pcm. In fact most advice would be against this anyway since if one of the beneficiaries were declared bankrupt (divorce, sued etc.) then the house might have to be sold leaving the remaining spouse potentially homeless.

That's my understanding anyway.

Sorry, not motoring related, but you could always use a car to drive to a tax consultant...
Sorry we might be getting crossed messages here.

Basically most people will give everything to a spouse on their death, and if they are cash poor that means their half of the house. What that does is load up the full house value to the surviving spouses estate thereby not making use of the deceaseds full nil rate band. What the will trust does is not give the half share of the house away before death (because as you say the gift with reservation rule kicks in) but gives it away on death. Thereby the deceaseds nil rate band is utilised and not loading an estate up and leaving the surviving spouses estate the ability to leave the amount of their Nil Rate Band with less excess. As such all Nil Rate Bands utilised. Not just the survivor.

The house cannot be sold by the beneficiaries or the tax man from under the surviving spouse as they are still resident in the property, but any bankruptcy/divorce proceedings would hold debt against the eventual sale.

Sorry if its off topic. I'll stop now.....
AK76

I would be interested in continuing this discussion but not on here otherwise we will get told off. My e-mail is in my profile, I would appreciate it if you would drop me a line.
Thanks

X
How do young guys afford flash motors? - nutty_nissan
In my own situation, for my first car, I was 25 and spent 16k on a secondhand year old luxury motor.

I'd sold my hand-me-down Sierra when I was 23, and was living with me folks. I saved and scrimped for 2 years and spent the absolute minimum on outgoings. Only then did I have the cash.

Everyone said I should have used the money as a deposit on a flat, but I just wanted a nice car first..

How do young guys afford flash motors? - vwdriver
People in their earley to mid twenties are those with the most disposable income to spend on things like cars. They are starting to work their way up within companies and have yet to have commitments like supporting a family.
They are starting to work their way up within companies

If only...
Am currently on my work placement, the grad i am working
with has just bout a second hand 5 series BMW, how
does he afford it, very easily.
a) lives with parents paying very little rent
b) no dependants (girlfriend etc)
c) reasonable graduate salary
--

I made the point earlier, which is that he doesn't have normal living expenses. His parents are subidising his car.

There are thousands of such cases in the UK, but it isn't just those still living at home that it equates to. There are also thousands of young people who are permanently in debt to their parents. Many of you will have watched the 'Bank of Mum & Dad' series and a similar one, the name of which I can't remember, which was fronted by an American chap.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Falkirk Bairn
R U sure that they are that young?

I have 2 sons aged nearly 29 - they look about 21 and drive a TT & 330Ci - I can assure you that it is not my money / inheritance but their own as they both earn significant salaries and no kids.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Greg R
As a 20 year old myself, I am in a very similar dilema.

Since the age of about 16, I always saved (very little initially, but as I earned more it was always there). I have been able to afford my own transport which has given me loads of opportunities in life.

It is lovely to have money in the bank. I never have to wait for pay day, and I always know that I can do whatever I like. Many young people spend all their salary and never have a penny left. This is a very fun way of living, but seems a huge waste of money (although it is very good for the economy!)

But being prudent isn't perfect...it is a very boring life initially as I tried hard to save hard for that deposit on a house.

With property prices so high at present, I need to keep up the saving and stop myself buying a brand new car. Living with parents has really saved me a huge amount on rent, although I pay the bills in full and do the weekly shopping, and even do the cooking twice a week (house trained you see).

But I really wish property prices were cheaper...I really want my own place but the harder I save, the quicker I will get to the ultimate goal of a house in my name!

But I do see why young people don't want to save. A deposit on a mortgage takes years to build up, and being young means we haven't got that type of patience.

The new government initiative to help young buyers seemed a brilliant idea until we see its limitations: I think only 40,000 people will be eligible for it, and I am down the building society to see if they can help me be put on this list..

But from a young persons own mouth...shall I get a car or a house. I say house, but a new car sounds similarly nice!

Saving for a deposit on a house always took time and patience. Thirty years ago, there was a big boom in property prices, and I remember that the price of my first house almost doubled in the 3 years after I left college in 1972. Unfortunately, my salary didn't increase to the same degree, so it took a little extra prudence to be able to afford to buy it.

Whilst houses are relatively more expensive now, the same cannot be said for cars, and the equivalent of £10k in the early to mid 70s wouldn't have bought much of a car. Today, £10k can buy a decent motor car.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Gazza
The difficulty is your first deposit. Thereafter, you can re-mortgage to get 2-3 flats fairly quick so long as you have patience and wait for the right one at the right price. Do watch out though, as there isn't much to buy out there in London at the moment.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - mare
The difficulty is your first deposit. Thereafter, you can re-mortgage
to get 2-3 flats fairly quick so long as you have
patience and wait for the right one at the right price.
Do watch out though, as there isn't much to buy
out there in London at the moment.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Just wish i knew that 10 years ago
How do young guys afford flash motors? - PhilW
"People in their early to mid twenties are those with the most disposable income to spend on things like cars"

Oh really?? What about all the "baby-boomers" - those now in their 50s-60s who have already "worked their way up in companies", have paid off the mortgage, kids have grown up and left home, and have inherited from those thrifty parents who grew up in the 1940s and 1950s and who bought their £300,000 houses for £3,000?? I think they might have more disposable income than those people you quote who left university with a £10,000 debt, are trying to pay a mortgage on the cheapest property they can find (£130,000?) and are still on a "starter" salary of about £20,000 ish?
I know who I'd bet on to have the "flashier" car.
Phil
I am from the baby boomer generation and I would agree that, in many cases, we are benefitting from the thrift of our parents, many of whom grew up during the 20s and 30s in households that were poor. Following the end of WW2, they benefitted from the boom years of the 60s but never forgot the lean times of their childhood, so continued to be prudent with their money. My parents never did own a property, however, so I knew I would never be the beneficiary of a large inheritance. Money was always short when I was young, so I learnt to be prudent with my spending also.

The same is often not the case young people today, as they have often grown up in relatively well off households, and it is true to say that many have been spoilt with material gifts. Many, including one in my family, have no discipline with money at all. Why has this happened? Well I think a lot of my generation are more indulgent with their children than my parents generation were. They are less willing to let them become independent, for one thing, preferring to cling on to their children way beyond their teenage years.
Cling on to children? you having a laugh?

Other way round more like, parents are desperate to get the children out frum under their feet, its the kids that Klingon!
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Aprilia
I don't envy youngsters today. Having to pay for education, relatively expensive housing and then extra pressure on pensions and retirement age increasing too.
The 50+ year olds have had it good and continue to do so - the 'golden generation' - free uni., some nice share profits from the privatisations of the '80's, MIRAS and married tax allowance when buying houses and starting family etc etc. Now they have pulled up all the ladders, stacked them in a pile and set fire to them to give a nice warming glow in their retirement years. University fees are particularly unfair and socially regressive - I'd like to see all those folk who got free tuition and grants force to chip £3k into the goverment for each year of study they had at university back in the 70's - that would focus minds.
. University fees are particularly unfair
and socially regressive - I'd like to see all those folk
who got free tuition and grants force to chip £3k into
the goverment for each year of study they had at university
back in the 70's - that would focus minds.

>>

I agree about higher education fees. They should be seen as an investment for betterment of the country as a whole. I am not so sure that everyone that goes there should necessarily be there.
You're telling me (Student IT Support)

Wasted on at least half of them. Not two brain cells to rub together.
Quite.

We were recruiting recently for entry-level positions and the standard of many of the graduates of new so-called universities was genuinely shocking. Our testing showed many of the Arts graduates to be effectively innumerate, and the Social Science graduates both innumerate and semi-literate.

A senior CBI figure recently said that what this country needed was 'fewer Media Studies graduates and more plumbers'. She was absolutely right.

The current situation is a joke.

My course is badly over-subscribed. Far too many people with vastly varying degrees (forgive the pun) of knowledge. Degrees are becoming worthless. I only wish I'd gone into something more practical when I left school.
What degree are you doing Adam? You've probably told me before but been a bit dim when it comes to remembering things I seem to have forgotten! :-)

Blue
The current situation is a joke.
My course is badly over-subscribed. Far too many people with vastly
varying degrees (forgive the pun) of knowledge. Degrees are becoming worthless.
I only wish I'd gone into something more practical when I
left school.

I would hazard a guess at saying that you weren't exactly encouraged to do something more practical.
I think part of the problem in this country is that some people look down on practical jobs as not being a good career, and are then happy to get stuck behind an office desk.

Blue
Quite.
We were recruiting recently for entry-level positions and the standard of
many of the graduates of new so-called universities was genuinely shocking.
Our testing showed many of the Arts graduates to be effectively
innumerate, and the Social Science graduates both innumerate and semi-literate.
A senior CBI figure recently said that what this country needed
was 'fewer Media Studies graduates and more plumbers'. She was absolutely
right.

I was employed for many years in recruiting for construction industry craft training. I can tell you that the industry's craft occupations, aside from electrical installation, don't hold a great deal of attraction for a lot of parents. As a result, many youngsters are steered away from them and as a result, the industry continues to have problems in recruiting enough craft trainees.

I have known this attitude from many fathers who have been in the industry themselves and I would often be told that their son (very seldom did we get girls) would be going for something better. I would imagine that the CBI figure wouldn't be too keen on plumbing, as an occupation, for her son or daughter.
Well, we have several problems compounding each other.

Firstly, the 'great and good' will say that the country needs more engineers, plumbers etc etc whilst at the same time pushing their own kids into medicine, law or PPE at Oxbridge - if their offspring are not bright enough for that then they're directed into 'PR' or advertising - Daddy has all the right contacts so no problem there.

Universities, on the other hand, are told to act like private businesses. They duly do so and shut down expensive to run engineering courses (all those costly labs which can accommodate only small groups of students, not to mention the requirement for technican support and frequent updating of equipment). Instead of engineering they run more 'profitable' courses in business and humanties. No labs needed and you can stuff 200+ students into a big hall for a lecture. Better still you can get some PhD students to teach the class for about £20 for the hour - so no need to employ expensive full-time academics ( those that you do still employ are directed to work on lucrative consultancy contracts which earn the university more money). I'm not blaming universities BTW, they are just doing as they've been told since Maggie brought them to heel in the mid-80's. Meanwhile its the country that's being short-changed.
I'm doing a (don't laugh) IT degree Blue. But if all goes well, won't be needing to call on it at all.

Machika - your guess would be right. Not only that, out of 200 people in our sixth form, only 2 never applied and went to Uni. (Loads have dropped out since). That figure was probably entirely reversed 15-20 years ago.

The way it's going, you're going to be looked down on if you don't have at least one degree and a masters. Theres a bloke in our class who used to be the head of IT at a bank. He's come to Uni simply to formalise it - he knows more than the lecturers. Paying 1200 quid a year for that (soon to be 3000) strikes me as ridiculous.

My finances are truly shocking. I spend money left right on centre on typical young lad type things and have very little savings. I do this so that I can enjoy myself seeing that I'm young. I'm not in the position to buy a 15 year old Peugeot 106 yet along look at Boxsters and Audi TT's. Yet my mate can do this without a problem. He's even looking at new apartments (to buy) as well!

I can't help but think that if I'd have got into something when I left school at 16, I'd have been 4 years in the earning world and be in a hell of a better position than I will be come this time next year.
I'm doing a (don't laugh) IT degree Blue. But if all
goes well, won't be needing to call on it at all.

Well I'm doing a Business Management degree, mainly to prove to employers that I am capable of doing a degree and also because I find the subject matter reasonably interesting. I don't think I'm developing many skills that I don't already posess from 5 years of working, however, I can see how the course could significantly develop people who don't already posess a half decent CV and a reasonable level of aptitude.

I gave up on my first Computing degree as I wasn't enjoying it in favour of a brief and meteoric career in car sales! :-)

Like you, if things go according to my plans I may not need to call on my degree, although I have to admit that my current emplyer's graduate programme looks very, very tempting.

Blue
Blue,

Check your mail.
Somewhat annoying I am the only person within my group of friends at Uni who actually has to pay to be there. It is deemed that becuase of parental income, I must pay for my fees whereas everyone else is entitled to full LEA support for their fees.

I do not understand this, my parents money is theirs, not mine. My ability to earn money is identical to that of my peers, yet they get grants, handouts and no fees..
How do young guys afford flash motors? - NowWheels
I do not understand this, my parents money is theirs, not
mine. My ability to earn money is identical to that of
my peers, yet they get grants, handouts and no fees..

Are you sure it's identical? Middle-class parents often have access to networks which provide much better job opportunities.

And you're living at home, aren't you? Do you pay the full cost of having a nice room in a nice house etc? I'm not saying that your parents are spoiling you, just that if you do a full comparison with the situation of those living in poorer families, you'll likely find a lot of differences, and maybe more of a hidden parental subsidy than you might realise.

For example, have you considered how much more your car insurance might cost if you lived in a rough area with on-street parking?

I do have some sympathy with those uncomfortable about the parental income test -- I had to fund myself at uni, even tho my parents could well have afforded it, and in those days in Ireland there was no grant unless your family was desperately poor. But I still think it was fairer that the limited state funds available should go to those who hadn't had the start I'd had in life.
Somewhat annoying I am the only person within my group of
friends at Uni who actually has to pay to be there.
It is deemed that becuase of parental income, I must pay
for my fees whereas everyone else is entitled to full LEA
support for their fees.
I do not understand this, my parents money is theirs, not
mine. My ability to earn money is identical to that of
my peers, yet they get grants, handouts and no fees..

>>

Do you pay your fees, or do your parents pay?
Do you pay your fees, or do your parents pay?

I pay them myself, out of my student loan (I get the minimum loan). I live at home becuase of the financial situation, unlike my peers I would still have had to pay fee's on top of getting minimum loan and having to pay accomodation so it would have cost me a lot more money to move away.

Anyway, I'd rather not upset DD so moving back to the original issue..

I see no problem with younger people spending plenty of cash on a nice car - you are only young one once, and yes it's probably a reckless way to spend money, but hey - there are worse things you can do.
My finances are truly shocking. I spend money left right on
centre on typical young lad type things and have very little
savings. I do this so that I can enjoy myself seeing
that I'm young. I'm not in the position to buy a
15 year old Peugeot 106 yet along look at Boxsters and
Audi TT's. Yet my mate can do this without a problem.
He's even looking at new apartments (to buy) as well!

But you have a car, don't you Adam?
Yes. I too pay the full fees hence my poor finances.
A senior CBI figure recently said that what this country needed
was 'fewer Media Studies graduates and more plumbers'. She was absolutely
right.

The CBI were the people who produced the report calling for 50% participation rate in HE. They also support immigration. The agenda here is a large & cheap pool of skilled labour.

It was Ruth Kelly of the IoD that made the comment you refer to.
It was Ruth Kelly of the IoD that made the comment you refer to

can i quote you on that?

on second thoughts, i had better not. wrong person right organisation or right erson wrong organisation, me thinks.

>> It was Ruth Kelly of the IoD that made the
comment you refer to
can i quote you on that?
on second thoughts, i had better not. wrong person right organisation
or right erson wrong organisation, me thinks.

Sorry, Ruth Lea - IoD's Policy Officer. I'm not well today (bad cold and throbbing head) - that's my excuse anyway.
It was Ruth Kelly of the IoD that made the comment
you refer to.

She has a son or daughter?

LOL! Nothing's changed then. This was true 20-30 years ago mate! (I was there).

They are good are writing 3000-word essays as 3am when half-drunk though!
That reminds me...
We were recruiting recently for entry-level positions and the standard of
many of the graduates of new so-called universities was genuinely shocking.

I'm afraid that it's not only arts -- there are plenty of useless IT/compsci "graduates".

And it's only the new unis, tho they seem particularly bad (not all of them, there are some exceptions). A few years ago a lecturer on one of the new unis stayed with me for a few months, so we got time to discuss a lot about how the courses were run -- it was quite shocking. My own experience of interviewing the graduates of the new unis was deeply depressing, and talking to the students suggests a pretty poor teaching style (all handouts).

I would now approach a degree from a new uni with a big pinch of salt. It seems that many of the courses are little more than a not-very-streching equivalent of an extra few years of school -- very few of the graduates of the new unis seem to have developed much by way of thinking skills.

Frankly, I think that a lot of students are wasting their time and money. They may end up with a degree on paper, but too many of them have none of the qualities I would expect of a graduate.

I generally find that a determined self-taught person is likely to be steeets ahead of many of these so-called "graduates".
The 50+ year olds have had it good and continue to
do so - the 'golden generation' - free uni., some nice
share profits from the privatisations of the '80's, MIRAS and married
tax allowance when buying houses and starting family etc etc.
Now they have pulled up all the ladders, stacked them in
a pile and set fire to them to give a nice
warming glow in their retirement years. University fees are particularly unfair
and socially regressive - I'd like to see all those folk
who got free tuition and grants force to chip £3k into
the goverment for each year of study they had at university
back in the 70's - that would focus minds.

I agree with all that, but don't forget the biggest perk - the final salary pension scheme. Closing that off for those behind them will probably be a bigger financial blow than all the rest combined.

As the population ages and political power moves upwards in the age spectrum (more older folks, and they are more likely to vote), I suspect we will see more of this massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

The way things are going, the number of young people able to buy fancy cars is set to plummet. The single live-at-homes may manage it, but once they start having to pay for their own housing and pension while paying off univ fees, and paying for childcare because both parents have to work to pay the mortgage.

Luckily for the older folks, the younger ones have bought into all the encouragement to be cynical about politics, so they are doing little to try to change it.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - commerdriver
Come on chaps, you paint the 50+ year olds as a very selfish generation and paint an unrealistically rosy view of the 70s and 80s for them. Many students in the 1970s did not get a grant and were reliant on parents for support, it was always means tested and you did not have to be very rich for most/all to come from your parents.

Most of this generation are now parents and are likely to be helping our children wherever we can. I have no desire to see my kids come out of university with huge debts and no prospect of buying a home without doing something to help and nor have most others in that situation.
Most of this generation are now parents and are likely to
be helping our children wherever we can. I have no desire
to see my kids come out of university with huge debts
and no prospect of buying a home without doing something
to help and nor have most others in that situation.

And it is very much appreciated!! There is a difference between parents helping and parents spoiling. I am currently on my work placement part way through my engineering degree, i only have the car ive got because i had some savings and my parents were flexible and helped me out. I do have friends who have had cars just given to them and even modded (alloys, lexus lights etc) by their parents.
--
Cling on to children? you having a laugh?
Other way round more like, parents are desperate to get the
children out frum under their feet, its the kids that Klingon!

I am quite serious. It mainly applies to mothers. A friend of ours has a 28 year old son at home and, whilst she says she wants him to go, she can't get around to actually saying it with any conviction. He has no intention of leaving whilst he is looked after the way he is.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - P 2501
I think he is in the minority. I am sure most people in their mid to late 20s still living at home would love a place of their own.

Aprilia has hit the nail on the head with the "golden generation" who are now in their 50s. The luckiest generation there has ever been IMO, they had the best of everything.
the "golden generation" who are now in their 50s. The
luckiest generation there has ever been IMO, they had the
best of everything.

>>

yes, as tony blai keeps reminding people : mrs thatcher, highest inflation 20% plus , highest interest rates 15% plus, highest unemployment, stroppy unions bosses and highest industrial strife, poll tax riots, ruined nhs, rubbish education system, etc.
it was so bad that even after 9 years of new labour, the ills are still there.

and not forgetting, to cap it all, they had british leyland.

How do young guys afford flash motors? - quizman
I think he is in the minority. I am sure most
people in their mid to late 20s still living at home
would love a place of their own.
Aprilia has hit the nail on the head with the "golden
generation" who are now in their 50s. The luckiest generation there
has ever been IMO, they had the best of everything.

>

I am 57 and born during rationing, so my teeth are quite good. Yes my generation have been lucky, although during the 70's we worried about the prospect of nuclear war.
As a teenager we had no worries about aids, had the best pop music ever, the roads were less busy, no speed limit or breathaliser.

But I would love to be a teenager now, paid to stay at school, gap years, flash cars, flash birds. Oh to be young again.
As a teenager we had no worries about aids,
had the best pop music ever, the roads were less busy,
no speed limit or breathaliser.

Hmm, good songs and more sex, and you had Morris Minors to go speeding in! I knew you had it all! ;)
How do young guys afford flash motors? - quizman
Hmm, good songs and more sex, and you had Morris Minors to go speeding in! I knew you had it all! ;)

Not a Morris Minor, but a Morris Mini Minor (BRE478A) brakes terrible, pretty slow but terrific handling, and just about enough room inside for Ugandan discussions.

I know BRE isn't still with us, we had a slight mishap!
How do young guys afford flash motors? - PhilW
Hey! watch it! My mate's Morris minor convertible was fantastic!! Summer and winter! And another mate won £500 on the Premium bonds and bought himself brand new Mini!
I was interested in your "more of this massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old." comment. I read recently that the Teachers' Pension Fund in 1977 was (a notional) £77 billion in credit. Where did all that go? I suspect the same for Civil service, National Health etc pensions. That money must have been "transferred" somewhere and it certainly hasn't been to the old. Governments, companies (and Robert Maxwell types) have a lot to answer for with regard to the need for "transfer of wealth from the young to the old" and it ain't no good blaming the old - they have paid there dues and "saved" for their pensions, they want it back!. I was recently told by my dentist that he was not doing "National Health" treatment. Why not?? I've paid my stamp and taxes for 40 years - why can't I get it back? Who has spent all my money?????? And on who? (or is it whom - I'm an illiterate Social Science graduate from the '60s!!!)

Phil
How do young guys afford flash motors? - Dynamic Dave
As interesting as your conversation may be, this is supposed to be a motoring site, of which I can see very little of it being discussed.

hint hint.

DD.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - commerdriver
OK back to motoring then
one of the other ways for 20s to be in flash cars is flexible company car schemes allwing you to contribute some of your own money as well as the company money.
I had a young new graduate working for me a few years back, on a company car because of his mileage to client sites, who paid an extra 250 a month on top of the the basic lease so that he could get a vectra GSi. How classy it was I won't comment on but it was certainly quick.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - mikeyb
Not quite sure if I am young enough to be considered in this, but I am now 29, and last year I bough myself an Audi A4 Cabriolet. I am in the lucky position that I have a reasonable well paid job, and have made a few quid out of property and shares over the years so can afford to treat myself, although I do see many other 20 somethings who have just borrowed to get nice things and who owe so much I cant see them ever being debt free.

I think its also true to say that cars are cheaper now than they have been before, and finance is more affordable with US style leasing schemes appearing here.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - FP
I am a landlord and one of my tenants, a young guy about 20 who has been renting a room from me, has had problems with paying the rent. Basically, the trouble is that he has no ability to prioritise his outgoings and if there is money in his pocket he spends it.

That didn't stop him from acquiring a smart second-hand car a while back; he could have been given it, of course, by doting parents. But now he has the expense of running it.

It's important for his independence, his self-esteem and his street-cred to have a car. (Don't laugh - it's a white VW R-reg Polo.) More important than paying the rent.

You've guessed the end of the story? Yes, I'm kicking him out. He's now about £800 in arrears and I fully intend to recover the money.
How do young guys afford flash motors? - THe Growler
Interesting reading following this thread: one thing jumps out at me which hasn't changed over the years - you've gotta 'av the right mo-er! In my day it needed fins (PA Cresta or a rusting LHD Septic) but that was just the fashion of the day.

However, by the sound of it us striplings were a lot better off in the motoring dept: you could run around for ages with a "tax applied for" bit of paper in the windscreen and the occasional chiding from PC Plod on his pushbike, MOT's had just come in and anyway weren't compulsory and were for 10 year old cars only, Parking was a doddle, although I suppose fuel was relatively expensive based on a 10 quid a week take-home wage. Oh, the shame of asking for half a gallon on a Thursday night before payday! There wasn't much canned entertainment and life seems to me to have been a lot more exciting and less frustrating for a 17 year old than now.

I was born during WW2, lived outside London, remember quite well the bombings, the shortages and the rationing. I never went to Uni (impossible), dropped out of school at 17 and worked my behind off. My family were of the "pull-yourself-up-by-the bootstraps" breed (2 WW's and a Depression: character-forming if nothing else) and as soon as I could I headed for foreign parts.

I have always eschewed any kind of pension (I'll lose my own money instead of having someone else do it for me thank you), have gone to some daft places and got caught in wars and revolutions but always earned very good money because I got off my duff and did it instead of sitting around, by being willing do anything legal and go anywhere, making (mostly) wise investments en route. You don't have to actually be good at thast much so long as you're willing and will do the things others won't, I learned very early on. As a result (and back to motoring) I have always lived very well indeed and owned pretty much any vehicle I fancied whenever I fancied it along with a few houses here and there etc. During my fifties I was able to work when I felt like it and didn't if I didn't and retired at 59, more out of boredom than anything else.

The great thing was to figure out the right companies doing the right thing at the right times and get into those: in the 60's it was Australia, in the 70's Europe, then Iran under the Shah and the Gulf. Nowadays I would be looking at Central Asia. And always a nice car somewhere for the R & R breaks. The list reads like a motor museum now, sadly.

Most of the MBA's and so-called hotshots I met were just over-educated receptacles of other people's wisdom without an original thought to offer, and little or no hands-on experience of anything useful. Yeah, they had the nice cars, on the never-never of course, or else courtesy of some flash company which would go under or decide it didn't like the look of them anymore at short notice. Anyway there were a million more cookie-cutter grads where they came from. As someone said on this thread be a plumber: I would say get or make a job for which there is a very inelastic demand, work very hard, as soon as you possibly can stop working for The Man and put your earnings in your own pocket instead, get a very good accountant, an offshore operating base, then hire someone else to get their hands dirty for you.

I wouldn't be young in UK today for anything: it's one of the most negative cultures I know and believe me it's almost the first thing you notice as a visitor. I'd call it a minmum-wage, call-centre job culture. No one seems to have any aspirations to anything much, seems to me. Maybe it's the fact that so few youngsters can afford their own home that means they still live with Mummy and Daddy and thus have plenty of walking-around money. And as for what you guys have to put up with over there just owning a set of wheels, jeez....I don't know know how you do it.

I haven't posted a lot lately so maybe I can get away with this one....but I've got a Christmas story from foreign parts coming up later...

GRowler out
+

How do young guys afford flash motors? - Greg R
Very nice post Growler.

"I wouldn't be young in UK today for anything: it's one of the most negative cultures I know and believe me it's almost the first thing you notice as a visitor. I'd call it a minmum-wage, call-centre job culture. No one seems to have any aspirations to anything much, seems to me. Maybe it's the fact that so few youngsters can afford their own home that means they still live with Mummy and Daddy and thus have plenty of walking-around money. And as for what you guys have to put up with over there just owning a set of wheels, jeez....I don't know know how you do it."

I think what is very different in this culture is that young people seem, excuse the negative word, lazy. They seem to think things grow on trees and everything will work out if they just sit there.

I myself am very young, and I can say I can be quite lazy at times. But usually I am not and it is amazing how much I can achieve by just doing things...simple things like jogging in the morning, making a meal at lunch time rather than crisps and so on. People say I am sad, but I think it is more the case that I love doing thousands of things and just trying everything. And it is possible now with money being less of an issue. Peoples problem in life is themselves...they love excuses and very little action. But that means I am lucky because the opportunities out there are more achievable as no one wants to take them up (well youngsters anyway!)

"I would say get or make a job for which there is a very inelastic demand, work very hard, as soon as you possibly can stop working for The Man and put your earnings in your own pocket instead, get a very good accountant, an offshore operating base, then hire someone else to get their hands dirty for you."

Very good idea. I will start doing this now and maybe be a well off soon and do whatever I like!!!

Only what job is inelastic in demand?

I think there is still in my life anyway, the hinderance of not being able to get a home of my own. However, if I just continue to save for my deposit (which I have done for a while now), soon I will be on my way up. And the challenge will make it all the better I suppose.

In terms of cars, I am a bit of an old man really and just buy cars to take me everywhere with just an ounce of style, but I am really more interested in its practicallity and reliability of the car than how it looks.

And in terms of work, not only do I earn money, it keeps me very busy and the experience I get in working in finance will be very cross transferable in life, and this is the main thing really. As sad as it sounds, by having a job where those skills are used in the day to day running of life makes it all the more interesting. And there are loads of challenges which I think university just wouldn't give me.

The world has changed a lot since I was a youngster. 20-30 years ago only about 5% of kids went to university. Nowadays its about 50%. Not being part of the small minority (the 5%) was no big deal. Not being part of the 50% is now a much bigger disadvantage. Many employers will not even shortlist someone who doesn't have a degree. Even basic admin jobs require a degree now. Employers are contstantly raising the bar. Low level jobs attract only the lowest pay and the market is flooded with unskilled immigrant labour. I recently stayed at a mid-range hotel in Cambridge - used it many times before. This time almost all the English staff were gone, replaced by East Europeans (mostly Poles I think). Nothing against the Polish, nice people, but the room rates hadn't been reduced and there was a notice in the room asking guests to note that staff may not have a very good command of English and may not understand English customs!

It all well and good talking about getting a job with inelastic demand - but things change quickly these days - its hard to predict the future. Everyone has been piling into property recently, but its not so long back that prices were falling. Ten years ago I had roofers and plumbers knocking on my door asking if I had any work for them and all the brickies were looking for work in Holland and Germany.