99 TDi - Slow windscreen wipers. - J.B.
My Golf Mk4 (T reg TDI 110) windscreen wipers have suddenly started to sweep slowly; I guess at about half speed. The higher of the two speed settings is a bit faster but not right. Intermittent works but at the reduced rate. I've tried pulling the blades clear of the screen to see if the rubbers were sticky but there is still no improvement when the blades are not in contact with the glass. Any one know what controls the sweep speed? I cant really get access to the motor but the bits I can touch ie the spindles are cool which may suggest its not mechanical friction. Any ideas guys, before I try to raise the inevitable VW mortgage!.

Edited by Pugugly on 08/11/2008 at 19:01

VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Xileno {P}
Possibly a bad connection to the motor. If you can gain access to it, check the connections are sound.

No need to go to VW, a good auto electrician will do.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - elekie&a/c doctor
This is very possibly a fault with the wiper linkage seizing up,thus causing excess strain on the motor.Remove the wiper arms and the plastic panel below the windscreen to gain access to the motor & linkage.3 x 10 mm bolts will allow the whole lot to be removed from the car.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - bell boy
a quick indicator to check elekie&a/c doctors theory is take the blades off the screen if they are obviously faster then youve found your cure.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - J.B.
Thanks for the thoughts so far. They go at the same speed whether on the glass or not, but if the friction is in the linkage then that wouldn't make a difference anyhow. I'd really like to know what controls the speed of the motor. There must be something as they have two speed settings but I dont know if its gears or electronic control.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Screwloose
J.B.

The doctor's nailed it. Seizure of the pivot shafts is epidemic on Golf IV's. Worse still; you have to buy all the various linkage bits in kit form and assemble them yourself.

Once you've got the plastic covers off; you'll soon see which one has corroded - it's usually the passenger's. No waterproofing is fitted on these shafts at all! [Obviously these cars weren't built to go out in the rain.]
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Spanner
Just proves how Volkswagen build quality has dropped off over the last ten years.
Had a similar problem on a Rover 827. Although the linkage kept dry under a cover, the metal balljoint was dry and seized within the plastic socket. It had worn the plastic so much, the balljoint kept popping out of the socket leaving the wiper arm flopping about. As a bodge, I forced a bit of plastic bag in the socket to pack it out but eventually needed a whole new linkage. Even that didn't come with any lubricant as nylon/metal balljoint is supposedly self lubing but I am not convinced. If you get the chance, keep the linkages and joints greased up with WD40 or white lithium based grease.

Andrew
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - s999sws
I imported a mk 4 1.6 SE auto golf from Hollan in 2001. After about 2 years the wipers started to go slow intermitently.It was not friction as it made no difference if the wipers were on the glass or not. After a long run to London, they stopped in the middle of the screen. Eventually started working AFTER they cooled down. The windings are getting hot, expanding and shorting out and drawing too much current, whereby the control system reduces the voltage in order to protect itself. The only cure was a brand new motor, fitted by VW £120. No problems since, 2 years ago.
Stephen W-S
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Stuartli
>>greased up with WD40 or white lithium based grease.>>

Even better would be a product called EasyGrease or the Slick51 equivalent and both very inexpensive.

They are "dry" grease products and therefore don't soil clothing or hands whilst, at the same time, providing lubrication.

WD40 is an oil and quickly disappears.

I use EasyGrease and/or Slick51 dry lubricant for lubricating door and boot lid locks, hinges, etc and other parts on a vehicle that need such maintenance.

It's also excellent for use around the house, especially on double-glazing locks and pivoting movements and double-glazed porch and rear entrance door mechanisms. Keeps them operating smoothly and efficiently without the risk of soiling clothes or hands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Spanner
Slick51 dry lube. Sounds a good product. I will look out for it
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - J.B.
Thanks everyone it was the spindle bushes/bearings corroded. My local dealer diagnosed and fixed it on the spot within the hour. I was pretty impressed with the service and it saved me some precious time and effort. The bits were £30 +vat and labour £60 +vat. They were 7years and 75000miles old so I can live with that. Keep up the good advice.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - redpablo
My S reg TDI has the same problem. Just started today (whilst raining on motorway). I'm taking in to the garage to get the brake bindings sorted. I will ask them to sort this as well. Its done over 100,000, so thats not too bad. Excellent advice on the thread, you really saved some time and effort. Keep up the good work fellas!
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Bails
My T reg VW Golf TDI has same problem, does anyone have a solution?
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Maanky
I have a TDI and the wipers seized. I read this thread, took off the wiper arms and bent up the scuttle panel and used a long nosed oiling can to oil the wiper boss, the lower end of the boss where the arm attaches and basically every moving part. The drag with this is that the scuttle panel doesn't want to come off and bending it up is painful, prone to damaging it and restricts access. I wish I knew an easy way to remove it.
Anyway the wipers work now although I fear it's a short term solution. I also noticed that the scuttle panel was already split where I suspect a previous owner had also had to lubricate!
I also snapped the wiper arm by over tightening the bolt. Great.
Cheers
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - cyberpete
I just fixed my 95 Golf seized wipers. Drivers side linkage was so bad a hammer was the only way to move it.

Wipers were moving very slow, overheating the motor and stopping the blades - very dangerous to drive the car in this condition.

I removed the entire assembly (only 3 bolts as described above) and using vice grips attached to the seized arm moved it back and forth spraying WD-40 at the joint. I then removed a C clip and washer at the tapered spline and pulled up on the shaft removing it from the housing. The plated shaft was badly pitted and rusted. I then wire brushed and sanded the shaft smooth and coated it with white grease. Bolted everything back together and it works like a charm. (takes about 2 hours depending on how bad it is seized.) If your cheap like me its the best way to go.
Peter
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Tomkil
It sounds like I've got the same problem - a seized arm on the driver's side. It's a pain because I've just bought a replacement motor and it's clear to me now it's not the motor at all!

Question is: the arm simply won't move despite a liberal dose of WD-40. Would it help if I tried heating it? Or would that damage any plastic bushing or what have you inside?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Tom
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - poor1
I am just doing this myself at the present time. Hardly worth bothering to dismantle the linkage, free the shafts and lubricate it will all come back again. The whole linkage is only about £40.00 and quite easy to replace once you have got the blades off the shafts - they are very tight and require a puller. Then sus out how to remove the cowl - start at one end with a thin bladed table knife and pull it gently away.
There is a very good link on the Golf TDI site with step by step pics.
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - KenC
Poor1

When you have a moment can you please post the website link which has the step by step instructions regarding this, I would very much like to have a look, many thanks
ken
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - jabberwocke
Morning Gentlemen.
I know this is a 2 year old forum, but did anyone post the website link for this problem?
Jabberwocke
VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - gareth griffith

I've just had the issue of very slow wiper blades on my Golf. I'd like to thank previous posters for their help.

I'd also like to point out that you don't need pullers to get the wipers off.Just pull the wipers away from the windscreen, into the vertical position, give them a waggle and they'll pull off.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is that before you give the wiper spindles a good hard wack with a hammer, screw a bolt onto the thread so that you don't damage the thread (like it did!). If you've already damaged the thread, get yourself a hacksaw and carefully saw the damaged bit off!

VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Railcarman

I just encountered the slow wiper issue, after I just resolved the 109 relay problem. Now, I can't get the wiper arms off my 2000 MkIV TDI that has 239,000 miles on it! I haven't tried the hammer yet. I assume they're corroded to the shaft. What kind of solvent might I try?

VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - 659FBE

The problem with VAG wiper spindle bearings is twofold. Firstly there is no adequate water sealing (do VAG actually understand how water and gravity work?) to prevent the bearings from getting wet and secondly, they use cheapskate sintered iron bushings for bearings - which rust. Better designs use non ferrous bushes and effective water seals.

As part of a useful maintenance schedule for any VAG vehicle, it's worth releasing the circlips at the spindle bearings under the arms, dropping the spindles and giving the bearings a good soaking in oil every couple of years.

I did this on my Superb when it was nearly new - there was not much evidence of any lubricant in there - but the arms are difficult to free. Despite being fairly new, I needed to use a 2 jaw puller (quite a big one) to release the arms from the tapers. Any other method would have caused damage as the arms were very tight, but not corroded.

If you use a puller, one tip is to park the wipers with the arms nearly vertical - otherwise the bonnet gets in the way. Wind in a litlle preload and give the puller draw bolt a tap with a hammer.

VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - Railcarman

I'm using Liquid Wrench's Penetrating Oil. So far - no luck

VW Golf Mk4 Slow windscreen wipers. - 659FBE

Use a well fitting 2 jaw puller. The wiper arm hubs are mazak (light zinc based alloy) and you will break them with injudicious force.