Seat Ibiza 1.4i 1995 - Spanner
I have got a 1995 N reg SEAT 1.4i petrol that has been occaissionally cutting out but as of last week now refuses to run.
On turning the key, the engine will fire and run for about a second or two but will then die.

Engine is the 8 valve multipoint injection type (as apposed to throttle body injection)

I have tested for fuel pump operation and it runs for about a second before cutting. I believe this is normal and pump cuts out when fuel pressure is at correct pressure.
I have checked relay by bypassing relay terminals to get the pump to work continuously yet car starts, runs for a second then dies.
Have also checked for spark, and fuel flow/delivery and it all looks text book.
Car has just under a full tank with no sign (or smell) of fuel leaks etc.
Any ideas as to why it doesn't want to run?

Thanks in advance
Andrew
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - bell boy
sounds like an immobilisor problem have you got another key to try?
or try the key you have upside down,if you understand me?
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - Spanner
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately car doesn't have an immobiliser fitted. I once owned a car which did have an imobiliser fault and gave exactly the same symptoms. Even the Seat dealer couldn't find whats wrong even using their fault finder code reader.
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - Civic8
have you checked for any air leaks into inlet manifold ie vacuum pipe leaks?.
--
Steve
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - Screwloose
Andrew

Have a look for a key-reader coil round the ignition barrel. This one [AEB?] could, just, be young enough for an immobilizer. If it's got one; unplug and re-plug it a few times to clean it's plugs' terminals.

If not; what goes when it cuts? If the spark doesn't cut dead suspect the fuel filter. The pump priming period is just a simple timer in the relay; there's no fuel-pressure sensor on these.

So a Seat dealer had a non-starter connected to their VAG1551[?] and still they can't tell why it won't run???
read the screwloose thread again seat owner,This car has to have a chipped key by law when it was imported ,have you tried another key?oh and find another seat dealer as the one you are using should be turned into a car wash
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - elekie&a/c doctor
try renewing HT (spark plug )leads.
SEAT IBIZA 1.4i 1995 - jc
The fuel pump should cut back in when you start cranking;does it?
When turning the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump switch on and prime then stop after approx 1 second. I can also hear the idle control stepper motor open the throttle butterfly (visually confirmed as well) which, I guess is correct. If I leave the ignition on but without attempting a start, the idle control motor cuts and the throttle valve closes.
When cranking I cannot hear the pump power up. In my earlier post, I removed the relay and placed a jump lead across the terminals to force the pump to run continuously. Car still only ran for a second or two then quit, even using half throttle which when I did, the engine raced to about 2000 -3000rpm then died.
The ignition key does NOT have an imobiliser sender neither does the ignition barrel have a coil reader surrounding it.
The car is an N plate basic model - no alarm, central locking etc.
As for the Seat dealer, they charged £40 or so to tell me what I already new - that it has an intermittent fault.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Just to add to the tests on this car, I have also carried out a spark test with engine cranking and a spark is present when it fires up and for a second the engine runs. (I used a Sealey spark tester)
Agreed that the symptoms do sound like an over zealous immobiliser cutting in but as vehicle lacks this, I am at a loss.
immobilisor