Rover 620 SDI Intermittent Loss of Power - paulhtaylor
Car is 1997 P registration turbo diesel bought 6 months ago, well maintained/serviced from new.
Over last few weeks - may be a coincidence that we've had cold weather - I've been experiencing intermittent loss of power when trying to accelerate in any gear. Instead of engine revs increasing they suddenly drop and I have to wait for a few seconds before engine picks up. Engine never actually stalls; no warning lights appear on the dashboard.

Can anyone help please??

Thanks,

Paul Taylor
Rover 620 SDI Intermittent Loss of Power - Xileno {P}
Do a Forum Search, there have been a number of questions on these engines.
Try this one for starters:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7583&m...e
Rover 620 SDI Intermittent Loss of Power - DL
Brake pedal switch adjustment is critical on these cars...if you want to try it out, try pushing the brake pedal whilst driving, just enough to illuminate the stop lamps (empty private road of course ;) and see what happens to the engine power.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Many thanks for sparing the time to reply.
It seems quite bizarre that brake pedal switch can have an effect on the engines willingness to increase revs.
Please excuse my ignorance but what's going on here?
You seem to have suffered from a similar experience and it's interesting that somebody else has replied with the same diagnosis.
Yesterday I met the guy who sold me the car and he told me that he had suffered a similar problem when he first bought the car in 1999 but no problems for next 6 years!

Regards,

Paul
Many thanks for your suggestion - I'll have a look through to see what I can find.
Yesterday I met the guy who sold me the car and he told me that something similar happened when car only 2 years old. It cleared itself and was OK for the next 6 years! Until I bought it.

Regards,

Paul
Rover 620 SDI Intermittent Loss of Power - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi,I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago,I changed the air flow meter and fuel filter and loads of other things,it turned out it was my brakelight switch,it was adjusted up too much and they were coming on way too soon,I adjusted it nearer the pedal and it has been fine ever since.
HTH Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!
Many thanks for your response which has same diagnosis as another post. Must admit to being mystified by brakelight switch causing such a problem with car's acceleration. Did your brakes actually come on when you were trying to accelerate and did it happen all the time or just on occasions like mine?
Did you find it a simple job to do yourself??

Regards,

Paul