Insuring a Written off car - JohnX
Does anyone know who would be able to insure a written off car and whether the normal NCD would still be valid.
Looks like my car may be written off for a bent bonnet and a broken R headlight cluster!
Trouble is Esure my current insurance company do not insure write offs.
Any recommendations for an insurer that is good for this?
Thanks

Insuring a Written off car - martint123
Odd this one. None of the online quote machines ask the question, or is it in the general exclusions. I've not seen it on paper forms either. What about someone who unknowingly buys a repaired writeoff?.
You may find that if your current insurer has paid out for a total loss, then they won't be interested reinsuring 'their' writeoff, but everyone else might be willing to take your money.

Martin
Insuring a Written off car - No FM2R
Firstly it will have no effect on NCD one way or another.

Secondly are you sure it will be written off ? You may be able to avoid it by agreeing to take a payment in full and final rather than having the car repaired.

Was the accident your fault ? If not are you claiming from the third party or from your own insurance company ?

Which category write-off will it be ? I suspect a C in which case most insurers would accept it with a new MOT. Although online quotations might be difficult.

Bit more info would help...
Thanks for the replies
The accident would be my fault since I had bumped another car from behind,something which my insurer has mentioned.
All there is a slightly bent bonnet and a R headlight cluster that is smashed , which I can pick from from the scrappie.Bit of pushing and straightening out would be all that is required although I would imagine their authorised workshop would want to replace the bumper(small barely noticeable crack)and repair/replace which would probably increase the repair cost to more than 60% of the value of the car,in which case the car would be written off.

Is there an option to repair it at a local workshop and then have the insurer pay for it instead of at a costly Nissan garage.

(Would probably be a Cat C if it comes to a write off.)

Insuring a Written off car - bell boy
it will need a vic check if insurer writes it off (cat c)£36 fee and currently anything up to 2 months waiting list if you live near the smoke.If car a bit old you may be better letting insurer take it away and accepting cheque.
Insuring a Written off car - Blue {P}
I would imagine that the car will just be a Cat D write off.

Cat C is reserved for repairable cars that have been seriously damaged, Cat D is just for those cars that an insurer decides not to repair AFAIK.

Blue
Insuring a Written off car - Galaxy
I don't see any problems at all.

Car will be Category D, as Blue says, and all that's required to put it back on the road is a fresh MOT, that's all.
Insuring a Written off car - sierraman
I don't understand this.If it is your fault how do you have a claim?If you could be claim on your fully comp.with excess and possible premium increase,if it is only a bonnet and h/light,why bother claiming at all?
Insuring a Written off car - The Gingerous One
But there will be a claim anyway from the guy who he hit.
So the premium will go up anyway regardless.

It depends on the value of the car, what Nissan is it ?

For the record, I accepted £600 from my insurer in lieu of repairs when someone else ran into the side of me last year. My car was an M reg Primera with 150k miles and suffered a dented pass door, broken pass wing mirror and various light scratches/scrapes. I took the money, taped up the wing mirror and carried on. For another year in fact, until I sold it.

As the crash wasn't my fault, my insurer successfully recovered their losses from the other guys' insurance co.

Its a V reg 1999 Nissan Almera.
Market value now appox 1500 pounds , but to me , worth much more to me as very reliable and I have done 30k miles without any problems.

Can I opt not to have anything done to it or have the repairs done at another workshop apart from the obviously costly Nissan main dealer whose repair costs would surely force the insurance co to declare it unviable to repair.

Insuring a Written off car - Galaxy
If the insurance company write the car off tell them that you wish to purchase the salvage from them.

They may or may not allow you to do this, depends on company policy.

If successful you are then completely free to repair the car yourself of get it repaired by someone else who you know.

Only requirement to put successfully back on the road, as I've said in my earlier post, is a newly obtained MOT, assuming category D status.

Good Luck!
Insuring a Written off car - bell boy
there is a draft report out from the dvla (came out about 2 months ago)whereupon all written off vehicles will require a vic and an mot even if vehicle less than 3 years old,it hasnt been rolled out yet as its up for even further discussion ,vosa are at the minute in a bit of turmoil with their computer system and cant cope with more vics(try ringing the main vosa line 0870 6060440 and see if you can get a reply its bedlam)or for booking a hgv test
Insuring a Written off car - The Gingerous One
I guess it depends who the approved bodyshop repairer is for your insurance company. They may have others apart from the main dealer.
You could try asking the insurance company.

The past 2 crashes I've had, the main dealer hasn't been the approved repairer. In 1997 I crashed my 1992 Montego into the back of someone and broke a headlight, dented the bonnet, dismembered the grille. The repairs can't have been too much as the car was repaired. The value of the car couldn't have been more than £2k (and in fact another insurance company agreed the following year when it was involved in a head-on & was totalled). But the approved bodyshop wasn't a main dealer.

I'd ask the insurance company either if they have another independant approved repairer, or maybe if they will give you a cash settlement in lieu of repairs (like mine did with my Primmy) or let it be declared a total-loss and buy-back the salvage (if at all possible, I have heard that some insurance companies have agreements whereby all salvage goes to an auction or a dealer; but I'm not in the trade so don't know how likely this is).

If it's declared a total loss, your current insurer may refuse to insure you on it and you'll have to find new cover. Wait a while and also do an HPi check to see if it has been recorded if you are really keen.

Stu