Be careful out there! - Hugo {P}
I've noticed we're getting a higher than average number of accidents reported here in the BR. I don't know whether or not the weather is a factor in this.

However with the extreme weather we're experiencing at the moment, which we get around once a year, we need to take extra care both before we set off and whilst we're driving.

Firstly get that winter service done. I've got three to do. Most impotantly make sure your batteries and antifreeze are up to the job.

Take a fully charged mobile phone and the garage/breakdown service number with you at all times!

Think carefully about the route you're going to take. What are the roads like? Can you get help if you need it? etc.

When you do set off, remember that it's probably a year or more since you last saw this weather, let alone drove in it. Young drivers may have never driven in this weather before now, so they will soon encounter their baptism of fire.

Those who have driven in ice and snow will know that cars behave completely differently. I don't know a great deal about driving in snow myself except that it requires driving very carefully and at sensible speeds for the conditions.

Hopefully we can avoid some more accidents by giving some careful thought to very different conditions, rather than simply being caught out by them.

Hugo
Be careful out there! - nickKK
Nice one Hugo,

Also remember if taking a long trip take a flask of tea, coffee or Soup with you.

Check the spare is up to it. don't forget a blanket, fleece and change of clothes.

Be careful out there! - none
And don't forget 'Farewell, I love everyone ' mobile phone message.
Be careful out there! - drbe

>>

?
Be careful out there! - defender
a good idea on a mobile is to have an In case emergency no in your phone memory =I C E number this is now being looked for by emergency services if needed
another good thing to carry in your boot is a small shovel
Be careful out there! - Xileno {P}

No, none of that in our household :-(
Be careful out there! - Stuartli
Also remember if taking a long trip take a flask of tea, coffee or Soup with you.>>

Unless it's urgent, probably best to even contemplate starting such a journey if the weather is that bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
All good advice. For some of my more elaborate journeys in exposed areas of Europe it's also worth considering the following:

1. Foot pump. If you get stuck, lowering the tyre pressures to almost flat can get you out of trouble. But you will need a pump to put them back up to normal again.

2. Wellies, shovel, blanket, raincoat etc.

3. Candles, those night-light ones are best. If you get stuck for the night, having half a dozen of those in the car can create quite a bit of useful extra heat. Make sure they are located somewhere safe such as on a biscuit tin lid.

4. Something to eat, chocolate, biscuits (where the tin lid could be used for putting the candles on...)

5. Newspapers. Good for stuffing under your clothes for extra insulation.

6. Battery operated radio for weather reports etc. You may not want to run your car battery too much.

7. Torch.

8. Keep your fuel tank topped up.

In this temperate climate in the UK, these measures are a bit excessive. However I have used them to good effect in Europe.
Be careful out there! - cub leader
Cheers for all the advice i had my first real experience of snow driving last night on way back from placement. I have a feeling i may well need some of this advice when i set off to drive home (120 miles) for xmas
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
Be careful out there! - NowWheels
5. Newspapers. Good for stuffing under your clothes for extra insulation.

Been there done that. Better than nowt, but not great. Much better to buy a few cheap thermal blankets to keep in the car -- I got mine for £3.99 on a Stena ferry. They fold up very small, take little space, and really keep in the body heat.
Be careful out there! - Group B
Last year I drove all winter with my 3-season sleeping bag in the boot. When snow was expected I carry a small shovel and a bag of grit salt. Better to be over prepared than get stuck on your own in the middle of nowhere.
Be careful out there! - turbo11
November has the highest accident rate of any month.Rarely are weather conditions to blame,except maybe black-ice.More often than not like accidents all year round it is due to drivers inattention and error. wet roads may extend braking distances from dry but maybe more common sense is required.
Alas the act of driving and the application of common sense would appear to be mutually exclusive.
Be careful out there! - Dalglish
:: wednesday 30 november morning - advance weather warning ::

weatherman on bbc just said tomorrow am 6 to 8 am there is likely to be the rare condition of "freezing rain and ice". he said this condition in the uk is even rarer than the rare snow, whereas it is quite common on the continent. so take extra care tomorrow am.

Be careful out there! - David Horn
Out of curiosity, suppose I get stuck on ice one night and am forced to stay in the car. I have a full tank of diesel, and a 1.9 litre XUD diesel engine.

How long could I run the engine at idle in order to provide heat and electrical power before running out of fuel? I'm guessing all night, but have no way to actually work it out.