high or low profile tyres - tyro
Friday afternoon, thinking idle thoughts.

So here is an idle question. All performance cars seem to have low profile tyres. I don't happen to like the way they look. Just a personal thing, you understand.

In the past few days I've read reviews of the Astra VXR and the Focus ST, but every time I see pictures of those tyres, it puts me right off.

Suppose (it's Friday afternoon, remember) that I fancied a Focus ST. Could I get one with 15 or even 14 inch wheels, and nice big, high profile tyres? And if I could, what would it be like to drive compared to a normal, low-profile-tyred example?
high or low profile tyres - L'escargot
Suppose (it's Friday afternoon, remember) that I fancied a Focus ST.
Could I get one with 15 or even 14 inch
wheels, and nice big, high profile tyres?

If you've got the money, you can practically have whatever you like!
--
L\'escargot.
high or low profile tyres - martint123
A lot smoother, more comfortable and no less agile.
high or low profile tyres - Vincent de Marco
Suppose (it's Friday afternoon, remember) that I fancied a Focus ST. Could I get one with 15 or even 14 inch wheels, and nice big, high profile tyres? And if I could, what would it be like to drive compared to a normal, low-profile-tyred example?

Probably just too dangerous.
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
high or low profile tyres - nutty_nissan
Hold on a minute, let me get this straight. You want to buy a super quick, performance car that the manufacturer fits with wheels and tyres suitable for the level of performance, and change to a set of wheels and tyres that normally come on the 1.6 base model Focus? This has got a to be a windup..

Even the Focus studio model has 195/65 tyres on 15 inch rims. And you want to ask Ford if they can put 14inch wheels on the ST, which comes with 18 inchers as standard.

It's a bit early for April fools...

high or low profile tyres - Ruperts Trooper
When a particular model is fitted with larger rims and lower profile tyres, the brake diameter is usually increased to utilise the extra space within the rim.

It wouldn't be practical, or safe, to reduce the brake size as well, on a performance car.

Modern cars use very low profiles, even on basic versions. The Vectra currently uses 55 series on base models with 35 series as an option on sportier models.

If the suspension is tuned to suit the tyre profile then low profile tyres won't ride any harsher than high profile. The only time harsh ride is noted with low profile tyres is when the other suspension settings haven't been changed accordingly.
high or low profile tyres - Sofa Spud
It's funny that ultra low-profile tyres are fashionable for performance cars while fat high profile tyres are fashionable for 4x4 SUV's, most of which never venture off road.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
high or low profile tyres - islandman
It's funny that ultra low-profile tyres are fashionable for performance cars
while fat high profile tyres are fashionable for 4x4 SUV's, most
of which never venture off road.

Good point - can't recall seeing one but I bet a new disco with ultra low profiles on would look pretty good --- might get stuck in the mud though.
high or low profile tyres - Ruperts Trooper
The on-road handling of many 4x4's are like boats, just because of high profile tyres and soft, long-travel suspension.
high or low profile tyres - tyrexpert
Many 4x4/SUV vehicles are now shod with ultra low profile tyres as standard. The tyre brands such as the Goodyear Wrangler F1, the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, and the Michelin Diamaris are all in the catergory I call 4x4 tarmac only tyres. Whilst many have options to fit tyres down to 35 series, already there are some with ULP standard fitments eg X3 235/55wr17 X5 255/55hr18 to 275/40wr20 for the 32valve, 4.8 Disco V8 255/55vr19 RR Vogue 255/55hr19 and the Cayenne 255/55vr18.
high or low profile tyres - Roly93
I think these ultra low profile tyre are a pain in the bum !

Okay they give better handling, but this is only of concern if you drive aggressively and to the limit every day. The rest of the time they give an uncomfortable ride especially on country roads, cost more and wear out quicker. For everyday driving locally and on motorways they are inferior to 'standard' tyres.
high or low profile tyres - Blue {P}
But they look nicer though in many people's opinion's, mine included.

I'll spend extra on a car to get one that looks nice to my eyes, so I'll definately do the same for my tyres, the fact that the car drives better with the low profiles is an added bonus! :-)

Blue
high or low profile tyres - Adam {P}
Agreed.
high or low profile tyres - islandman
Undoubtedly low profiles on nice alloys look the part. I've just bought my student daughter (expensive) a Golf - only 1.4 for cheap tax & insurance. Basic car except it has quite nice allows with low profiles. They totally cange the appearance of the car over the standard wheels. The only thing that spoils it for me is seeing drum brakes through the spokes on the rear wheels.
high or low profile tyres - Andy P
I have to agree with Ruperts Trooper on this one. If a car has been properly set up to run on low profile tyres, then the ride is perfectly good. The problem is cars running on 18" wheels that were set up for 15". My Accord runs on 45-profile 17" wheels and has a better ride than my friend's Focus which has 15" wheels. My advice would be to try the car as it was designed - if you don't like it buy something else.

Andy
high or low profile tyres - Hamsafar
Well, I think the larger wheels look more attractive, but doubt cars are 'set up' for them. In my observations, they are accessories, the dealer just fits the wheels you choose (and paid for) from the broshure, they generally don't set the car up for them especially with plain makes like Ford or vauxhall.

Too many new cars have a terrible ride, such as the Mondeo and the Fiesta or BMW X5. There is no point having a car that can go around a corner fast, if the bumps make it feel in danger of skitting off. I think these hard rides are to make the cars feel faster than they really are, many of these cars are very boring to drive anyway.
high or low profile tyres - Adam {P}
I have to say, the Mondeos and Fiestas I've driven have handled perfectly. I have so much confidence in them and they are very comfy.

Maybe it's because I've never driven a wallowy car before but I would go through life incredibly happy if every car I ever owned handled as well as a Mondeo.

The ST is hardly an ordinary Focus too. With 220bhp, I would expect it's been designed (or 'set up') for those alloys.

Just as an addition, I probably will never own a Mondeo. I know the image and sadly that's all that's putting me off. I can honestly state it's not a boring car to drive at all.

I'd never buy a car without alloys ever.
high or low profile tyres - Happy Blue!
I like the look of alloys, but am totally turned off by low profile tyres. Saw a new Range Rover yesterday with what looked like rubber bands on the after market alloys. Just looked stoopid.

I am surprised to read above that the Astra has 55 section tyres as standard. I saw an AStra Club with alloys the other day and it looked as though it was wearing quite high profile tyres and certainly more high profile than on my Forester which has 60 section.

The more air between the road and the rim = more comfort. I want comfort. There is almost nowhere in this country where 50 section tryes can be used to their full advantage, but 70 section can be used on really poor roads to cushion the ride.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?