Rover 420SLDT Starting Probs - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi,I was wondering if anyone has got any ideas regarding my starting problems.I went to start it this morning bearing in mind it was very cold with a heavy frost,I pre-heated it in the usual way but it wouldn't fire,I tried it again and once again there was no joy,now I know the glow plugs are ok as I checked them last weekend,the pre heat light comes on and goes out very quickly after about 4-5 seconds.I managed to get it started in the end by putting 1 jump lead on + and shorting the glow plugs out and then it started fine,it was almost as if it didn't preheat or for not long enough,has anyone got any ideas to help me out.I was wondering if the preheat relay was faulty???
Thanks Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!
Rover 420SLDT Starting Probs - Civic8
what date is it/mileage
--
Steve
It is a 1996 model,it has done 110,000 miles and runs perfectly and doesn't use any oil etc.
Andrew...
--
Rover 420SLDT Starting Probs - Bromptonaut
Assuming this a Rover with a PSA XUDT unit a few thoughts based in same motor in Pugroens. Just 'cos the plugs seemed OK a week ago it does not mean they are now.

Is the glow plug control unit in order with all connections and particularly its earth strap secure?

The plugs should stay on to sustain combustion even after the light goes out. Run the glow plugs sequence, but after the light goes off wait another 15-20 secs and you shold hear the relay click off. Repeat twice, then try normal start again. Should give enough boost to overcome a weak plug etc

Be careful connecting jumps to the glow plugs, the control unit may not apply 12volts straight away - you risk frying plugs and or the control unit.

HTH
Rover 420SLDT Starting Probs - Xileno {P}
It will be the Rover L Series engine.
Hi,my car is fitted with the "L" series engine which is made by Landrover.When I had the Glowplugs out I checked the voltage and they are 12v.Thanks for your input.
Andrew...
--