Small registration plates - Crimestopper
There seems to be an ever-increasing number of cars with rear numberplates where the numbers and letters are much smaller than normal.

Why does the DVLA allow this?

I recently witnessed a robbery, but was unable to get the registration of the getaway car because it was fitted with such a numberplate.

Surely this is a criminal's dream?
Re: Small registration plates - ian (cape town)
again, if you have no plod-on-the-street to actually check on silly things like this/bald tyres/road tax/unroadworthiness.... what do you expect?
Re: Small registration plates - Bob the Burglar
The only recent random police stop which I have heard of recently was of a relative who was stopped for having headlight bulbs which had a greenish tinge.
The bulbs were new high intensity ones and he was not aware of the colour effect.
To add insult to injury this happened between qualfying as a police constable and starting on the beat!
Re: Small registration plates - Nicholas Moore
Are these the new smaller type number plates introduced on a 51 reg, and being fitted to many older cars "to pass the MOT" (strictly, the plates don't have to be changed unless they are damaged, and the only new plates available are the samller type ones - if you check the DVLA site)
Re: Small registration plates - Honest John
Privately imported Jap market cars often have a recess for the rear plate which is too narrow to accommodate a seven digit UK reg even of the new smaller post September 2001 size. One answer is to buy the UK spec panel for the car (for example new shape CRV: Jap market plate recess in door; UK market plate recess under rear bumper); another is to buy a short reg; and the dodgy solution is to have a plate made up with motorcycle type-size. In theory the new rules on who can make up plates for whom should stop this.

HJ
Re: Small registration plates - Tomo
Toad has a full size 7 symbol number, on two levels as permitted, with enough room for the suppliers blurb on vertical lines on both sides, in his Jap recess!
Re: Small registration plates - Tomo
Far too easy to read, actually.
Re: Small registration plates - Bob the Burglar
Can you still make up your own plate with stick-on letters for caravans and trailers?
Re: Small registration plates - Keithb
"Can you still make up your own plate with stick-on letters for caravans and trailers?"

Towsure have removed the letters/numbers and associated DIY stuff from their website so I assume not. I ordered a made-up plate but there were no checks that I owned the vehicle. I was expecting a request to fax the V5.
Re: Small registration plates - plod-u-like
Noticed of late a trend around here whereby new plates are being disguised to look like old ones eg instead of RO51FFF you get R 051 FFF, being professionally involved in such matters, it took a second glance to "read" this correctly. I never stopped the car as I was in an unmarked and gainfully involved in other matters when I saw it. But the plate was sufficiently confusing to mistake it for being registered locally under the old rules. (by the way this wasn't the actual number). I know who the reg. owner is and he will get a pull the next time he's seen and given words of advice. By the way Mr Lacy I wasn't heading for the local Doughnut shop..!
Re: Small registration plates - Kev
Is this for 'deceiving' speed cameras and such like?
Because surely people want to shout about getting a new car..........? Half the reason for buying a new car isnt it?
We have people pointing it out very obveously ala France, such as 'AA 51 AAA'
Kev
Re: Small registration plates - T lucas
Smaller plates that fit Japanese/American size recesses are now legal in the UK.
Re: Small registration plates - colin
I agree with our Ian in sunny Cape Town. There's no point in introducing rafts of new laws, as they do, if there ain't enough visible plod to enforce existing legislation.

I presume the original query was re the weird fonts sometimes see, rather than the slightly reduced size of 51 plates. Incidentally, a thought, does this smaller size mean that the driving test check to read a number plate at distance will be amended in due course? Nah.
Re: Small registration plates - Crimestopper
colin wrote:
>
> I agree with our Ian in sunny Cape Town. There's no point in
> introducing rafts of new laws, as they do, if there ain't
> enough visible plod to enforce existing legislation.
>
> I presume the original query was re the weird fonts sometimes
> see, rather than the slightly reduced size of 51 plates.
> Incidentally, a thought, does this smaller size mean that the
> driving test check to read a number plate at distance will be
> amended in due course? Nah.

No, the original query was about "motorcycle-sized" numberplates being fitted to cars, mostly jappo imporrts. The query was most usefully answered by HJ, although ian (cape town) did raise a valid point.