My 406 2.1td (again) engine hesitation - gsb

Hi all, a 98 on 150,000m.
Most of the time the car runs fine. However occassionaly and becoming more frequent it's as though the engine misses a beat and is then ok.It can be just once or continuous for 2-3 seconds,when this is the case,if I ease of the throttle and then accelerate again it clears it. It does not seem to make any diff if hot or cold or under load or not and is across the rev range. Car is reguarly serviced and all filters changed.
When problem occurs management light flickers on but does not stay on. It may occur soon after moving off,or not for 10 miles or more and then may occur 3 or 4 times within a few minutes.
Before I take it to be 'plugged in' at Peugeot (of whom going on past experience I don't have much faith) I hope someone may have an idea where to look.
Thanks
My 406 2.1td (again) engine hesitation - DL
When the hesitation occurs - is there any change in engine combustion noise? Listen out for a harsh rattle.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
I don't think so, but I will listen out for it. (A harsh rattle sounds expensive)
My 406 2.1td (again) engine hesitation - DL
And look out for excess smoke from the tailpipe when the power goes.....

Rattling noise can be expensive, but lets not dwell on it..
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
DL. There does not appear to be any smoke as far as I can tell.

Could it be anything to do with the injector(s), or would you expect problem to be more regular.
My 406 2.1td (again) engine hesitation - Screwloose
gsb

Did you get the codes/live-data checked? The management light [K-light in dealerspeak; MIL to everyone else] flicking on would indicate an electrical malady rather than a fuel issue.

Without code info; first thoughts would be melted/corroded terminals of the fuelling relay or the relay itself; bad earths; [particularly on the engine; it can't be seen without removing the whole stud] in-line connectors corroding; fuses 18 [50A] and 25[10A] loose or cracked.

Other possibles; loose bolt-terminal nut in the main distribution fusebox; crank position sensor; coolant temp sensor; faulty wiring loom internal joints.
Many thanks for input.I will look at the ones I can do.
I think this has been cured by luck and might help someone in the future. The problem was liveable with, however about a month ago my brake lights were staying on or flickering after braking. After checking various connections etc I buried my head in the footwell to try and find the brakelight switch (a pig of a job). It appeared that the small bracket/plate on the brake pedal was not lifting high enough to close the sensor on the switch to allow the lights to go off. I managed to stick a small spacer on the bracket and the lights now work fine. A bodge I know but apparently you have to remove the steering column to get at or replace the switch. A few days later (and up until now) I realised that the engine hesitation had not happened since. I then recalled that when I previously had the fault codes read one of the possible causes was ?brake/accelerator inconsistent? this of course meant nothing to the guy who read the codes. I am wondering that if the switch has a fault and was telling the ECU that the brakes were on while I was driving could this have caused the original problem.
Anyway I have my fingers crossed.
My 406 2.1td (again) engine hesitation - Reggie
Thanks gsb. Your theory does sound like a logical possibility. I hope this cures it for you, and I will bear it in mind with regards my 2.1td.

Reggie