BMW 316 blows central locking fuse - IanH
Hi - any help appreciated - BMW saloon 316i 1992. On start/ignition off the central locking/burglar alarm fuse (number 7) blows - this means the car wil not start until it is replaced, so it must have something to do with the engine immobilizer. Are there any common faults with the system I can check before sending it to BMW? Many thanks for any help. Ian
BMW 316 blows central locking fuse - elekie&a/c doctor
The most common problem for the cd/locking fuse blowing on this model is shorted wiring that runs up the left rear wing to the boot lid .Feel the rubber conduit for any sharp bends where the cable insulation can crack and allow the wiing to short out.BMW do a repair section wiring harness for these; About £40
BMW 316 blows central locking fuse - IanH
BRILLIANT - twisted the cable and the fuse blew - I will wait until daylight then fix it. Many, many thanks for the info. Can I be cheeky - dont suppose you have any tips on why the ABS light is on - should I change the relays on spec. Ian
BMW 316 blows central locking fuse - elekie&a/c doctor
ABS light on usually indicates a fault with a wheelspeed sensor ,usually one of the fronts.A diagnostic check should identify which one.The relays on these are fairly reliable & I would not consider changing them at this point.