Is this a deal? - martin glover
just spoke to a guy who's asking £3000 ono (will take £2500) for his Peugeot 406 LX 1.8DR N-reg, with 65k on clock. Full service history at Peugeot main dealers, all the gizmoes inside. Says he is selling because of free company car. He has is own receipt for the 406 and it cost him £4200 6 months ago!

is there a catch, could it be clocked? How can i be sure about what the Service book says?

thanks
Re: Is this a deal? - Matt Kelly
You need to phone up the dealer who serviced it (or visit them) and ask if their records tally with the service records you're being shown, are the actual invoices for the services available as well as a stamped book, 'cos a stamped book isn't difficult to fake.

If he has his own receipt for the purchase ring up the person he bought it from, if you can get their number, and ask them to confirm the history - obviously if they're the person who clocked it they're not going to tell you but it's worth a go.

Get the VIN & reg. number and do an HPI check as well. Believe nothing the seller tells you until it's been confirmed !!

In fact do all the things HJ recommends in the How to Buy & Sell a Car section.
Re: Is this a deal? - Big Vern
If it sounds too good to be true, unfortunatly it probably is! I nearly got stung myself on a Cavalier a couple of years back, it was just too cheap, he did say that when he bought it had a 'wee knock' up the back that he got fixed, HPI check turned out to be a catagory 3 write off, not the end of the world for a cheap motor, but wothout a photo of the damage before repair, a recipt for the repair, or an independant engineers report no way matey!!
That was the 1st HPI check I ever did, I cannot recomend it highly enough. If you are worried about the cost, got for one that just gives the info over the phone, and not the full written report. Also do not be afraid th be obviuos about what you are doing, I always have a copy of Auto trader (also good for comparing similar cars to help to negotiate the price down) and make a show of finding the HPI ad, than ask if there is anything they would like to tell you before you ring, this may save you the money of the check!
Re: Is this a deal? - David W
Martin,

Are you worried about this seeming too cheap? Not at all. What will he do if he fails to find a private buyer? The only option is to sell into the trade for cash. HJ would tell us but I would guess he would be bid anything from £1500 upwards.

Mid range N/P/R reg cars are very cheap now.

Are you worried it isn't genuine? Well do as Matt and Big Vern advise, including checking out the HJ guide on buying......an HPI is a must.

Mileage seems a little low as many 406 diesels will have racked that up in the first two years. Having said that I look after a Xantia on an N-plate with a genuine 65K, family use only.

I assume we are talking about a 1.9 Turbo Diesel.

Bear in mind it may well be due the big service soon including timing belt etc.

David
Re: Is this a deal? - martin glover
I realise this whole job needs to be taken very slowly. It's easy to get carried away thinking you have a bargain, i telephoned two chaps this morning who both said "had dozens of calls, it's gonna go fast, it's a good drive", neither could tell me about why they wanted to sell!

To do this HPI check i need the Reg, yes?
This might sound a little funny, demanding such a thing over the phone from some guy who doesn't know you, is it common practice?

Also, the odometers seem a real pain, how common is this clocking business? Surly a newish car has some kind of service history which covers such points?
P.s the above mentioned 406 is a LX 1.8DR, petrol not diesel.
Re: Is this a deal? - David W
Martin,

1.8 petrol explains the apparent value. They are substantially less desirable than the diesel on the s/h market.

I think you ought to get nearer £2000 for this.

Why? Well a 1997 R-plate Xantia 1.8LX petrol with one company owner and about 60K genuine miles went for £1900 at auction the other day.

Don't think of HPI checking the first car you phone about. There are loads of 96/96 1.8 petrol 406/Xantias about. Look at a few to get an idea of the average condition. Find one you like then take the reg no. and chassis no. to phone up an HPI from home during your "thinking time". Make sure you get the seller to show you the V5 and compare the chassis no. with that on the car.

If the seller makes excuses for any of this just leave the thing and go to the next.

Have you read the HJ buying guide on this site yet?

David
yes, it's a good guide, wil follow it to the letter.
Re: Is this a deal? - Big Vern
Digital dash?? Think so then as easy as pie if you have the right kit and no wonky numbers to give you a clue.

Ask for the chassis no over the phone if they do not want to give out the reg. (they may be worried about cloning cars ie making up plates with the number of a similar car and using it in a crime / to avoid tax, speeding tickets etc etc) HPI will be able to give you the plate number against that chassis no, also all the usuall: if it has been changed (cherished reg transfer etc), outstanding finance, insurance write offs, Class A, B, C & Fire. Stolen.
Re: Is this a deal? - Matt Kelly
You're right about taking your time - you're not in any particular hurry for a replacement are you ? It's less easy if you've got no car of your own to go and look at possibles in but I'd assumed you'd already seen the 406 and accompanying paperwork.
Try and borrow a car from someone, or get someone else to drive you (a dispassionate observer is a useful accomplice to have) to look at some possibles.

As David W there's plenty about in this part of the market so you can afford to be fussy - the two conversations you mention would put me off straight away. If someone's had loads of calls & the car's still sitting on the drive they're likely to be sounding bored by the whole process, not trying to talk up their chances.

I would suggest doing an HPI check is one of the latter parts of the process - you can eliminate a car for plenty of other reasons which don't cost you anything - an HPI check is about £30. Classic signs of clocking are odometer numbers that don't line up and signs of the dash being removed at some stage, but they're not the only ones, that's why an invoice for a service that gives the mileage at the time of the service is a good thing to see, as are previous MOT certs.
Re: Is this a deal? - Alwyn
Just ask is it a local car. What 's the reg. number. Done it a few times few times and they usually tell. You can do an HPI check on-line for, I think around £12.50 and then upgrade to to a more comprehensive check if you are thinking of buying. They are not foolproof but are a must.

Let you eye be your guide
Your pocket be the judge
And the last thing you part with?
Your money.
Re: Is this a deal? - Tony
I would never give out any numbers to anybody over the phone too dodgy.
the 1.8 is seriously underpowered. - ladas are slow
when we went to guernsey we hired a 1.8 406, and it was incredibly slow, because the body is so heavy it does less MPG than a 2.0 406, i would seriously be thinking about the 2.0 litre, or the 1.9 diesel.
Re: the 1.9Td is also underpowered. - Paul Robinson
After the first 3,000 miles in my 1998 406 1.9TD, I am finding it a bit underpowered. Part of me wishes I'd bought a 2.0 petrol.
Re: the 2.0 Petrol is Underpowered... - Rob Govier
errmm..

(sorry an'allthat.)

I had a test drive in the petrol 406 with a view to choice as company car.

I thought the dealer had rebadged a 1.8...my Volvo 440 1.6 felt more brisk...

...ride and handling good, though. Solid build compared to coke-can 405...

rg
Re: the 2.1td is... - Lee H
Not sure you'll get one for the money you're looking to spend, but the 2.1td 406, the car my father runs, is a veritable flying machine and barely sips fuel.

Lee.
Re: the 2.0 Petrol is Underpowered... - Phil Tiffin
I've got a V reg 2.0 406 (personal import from Holland) and am generally happy with it (although make sure you brake it hard every now and then to clean off the rear discs - see HJ's bad points for this model - Just had mine replaced at 40,000 service and it cost me £300). I would agree that it could make use of a little more power, although it will get up and go if you let it come up to 4500 rpm or so before changing up.