Autoglass Radio Advert - BobbyG
On the local stations up here, there is an advert for the above with a voice over from one of the guys from Auf Weidersen and Inspector Morse.

Anyway, it is advertising their free chip repair, as soon as you have a chip take it in and get it repaired. I am sure my insurance windscreen cover gives me free chip repair.

First question, probably a bit obvious, but I take it this chip repair is now turning into big business, especially if they are getting money off ins companies for it? I assume therefore that modern screens are much more stronger than older ones and therefore less breakage claims?

Second question. In the advert it states (not word for word) that a windscreen is part of the cars structural strength and, if it is chipped or cracked, it could affect the airbag activation!!!

How do they work this out? And how are they allowed to scaremonger like this on a radio advert?
Autoglass Radio Advert - Altea Ego
"I assume therefore that modern screens are much more stronger than older ones and therefore less breakage claims?"

Nope Not stronger. They are all now laminated and wont shatter but still easily chipped. chip = crack or water in the laminate and a white spot appears. The chip repairr is fairly new and a lot cheaper than a new screen. A chip in the driver primary view is an MOT fail if no tfixed.

"that a windscreen is part of the cars structural strength"
Yes this is very true screens are glued to car bodies and are indeed part of the structural regidity. Not sure about the airbag claim tho but I suppose its possible.

For example in the goona accident the screen cracked on the side away from the accident indicating it transfered stress.

Autoglass Radio Advert - SlidingPillar
RF is correct and there is worse!

Screens for most modern cars are made of thinner glass than older, still laminated screens. To save weight.

Therefore they break easier.

I've removed a name here, as I cannot prove, only suspect. I took a car to have a chip repaired at a glass replacement company. They used a high vacuum to "suck" in the resin and cracked the screen. So I had to have it replaced, and of course paid my glass excess. On a later vehicle I had a chip repaired by a much small company, and was told the previous technique often did break screens - so they sold you a new one. I can't of course prove this, but it does seem plausible.

These days, some insurers only permit one firm of glass replacers as costs have risen enormously. Chip repair can be free within your policy (mine is) and thus for both reasons I have to caution - check your policy carefully. If someone is not an approved windscreen repairer for your insurer, and the worst happens, it might cost you more.

Autoglass Radio Advert - Dipstick
Unless the terms and conditions of that job allowed them to state there was a risk, that it was explained and that you understood it by agreeing to proceed, I'd have been tempted to small claims them for the excess.
Autoglass Radio Advert - Waino
Agreed - from my experiences it is VITAL to notify your insurer first - and they will arrange fixing via their 'approved' repairer. Presumably they will have some sort of deal arranged and it would be simpler if anything went wrong. In our cases, they've sent a mobile repairer round to the house - all very straightforward.
I came across a franchised repairer who'd set up his kit on a supermarket car park. He seemed a very competent bloke and, after a careful inspection of my son's windscreen chip, was honest enough to say that a repair was not necessary in his case. He said that his work would be covered by an insurer, but again I wouldn't advise going ahead without first getting approval from the insurer. In this case it would mean resisting the temptation to get it sorted 'on the spot', but going home and reading through the policy.