Tyre storage tips please! - patently
This is a follow-on to the thread regarding the tyres for my 911.

To recap, one rear tyre was original and getting a bit worn. The other tyre was half the age, however, having been fitted after a puncture. So I was concerned that was wasting much of the life of an expensive tyre.

The tyre fitters had an idea today - they have given me back my old half-worn tyre. The plan is that if I get another rear puncture (grrr...) when the rears have worn to about the same tread depth then I can re-use it.

I would appreciate some suggestions as to how to store the tyre. At the moment it is leaning against the (inside) garage wall. It can't stay there for ever. Over to the BR.....

I'm aware, btw, that once the tyre is 5 years old it is scrap and not safe to use. Advice as to how to determine its age would be appreciated. I know there are some numbers on the sidewall - which ones give me this?

TIA.
Tyre storage tips please! - Dynamic Dave
Any good?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34145
Tyre storage tips please! - L'escargot
Advice from Dunlop:- www.driveradviser.com/tyre/storage.shtml
Advice from Michelin:- www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_bib_stk_pne_h...p
--
L\'escargot.
Tyre storage tips please! - cheddar
I have just done the same thing. Basically a tyre is quite a hardy thing, lay it on it's side perhaps within the rafters within a garage so the air gets around it, perhaps wrap it in an old cotton sheet to stop the mice etc living in it and chewing it, dont wrap in polythene cos it will get condensation inside it.

Tyre storage tips please! - patently
Thanks, all.
Tyre storage tips please! - buzbee
How to store tyres

Here is my two pennorth.

Rubber and their compounds: Highly likely to react and degenerate in the presence of oxygen. No air no oxygen.

Condensation: Comes out of the air. Therefore, no air, no condensation.

From this it can be deduced that unused tyres should be stored in a suitable sealed (non-breathing) plastic bag from which as much air as possible has been excluded.

Put the tyre in the bag on a dry day. Seal the bag.

Example: Elastic bands loose in a drawer versus being in a sealed plastic bag. The latter keep for years. The former quickly deteriorate.

Tyre storage tips please! - Mapmaker
>put tyre in bag.

If patently is going to throw his tyre away after 5 years following manufacture ANYWAY, then there's no need to try to prolong its life through careful storage... given that if he'd had it on the car for 5 years it would have been living in the wet/dry/cold/warm outdoor air.