Daytime Notice Lights - Nigel B
I noticed in the thread about automated wipers and headlights a few posts from people in countries where Daytime Running Lights (or as we call them here in Canada, Daytime Notice Lights or DNLs) are required. On a recent visit to the UK I found that I really missed those lights on other cars; DNLs would really show up well on the high number of cloudy and dull weather days that you seem to have in the UK. I have no idea why your government has not yet adopted this significant safety measure - it's certainly using "safety" as an excuse for all sorts of other auto controls, and I remember it being around in the mid 1970s when Volvo introduced it on their cars. Is it just a case of government by snails (like the conversion from Fahrenheit to Celsius) ?

Nigel
Daytime Notice Lights - cheddar
Is it just a case of government by snails>>

While I am not one of Mr T Blair's greatest fans I find that a tad unfair, afterall the UK have IIRC statistically the safest roads in the world.

I understand that day time running lights were adopted in countries where many weeks of the year are simply twilight, hence their use in Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland etc.

Regards.
Daytime Notice Lights - Cliff Pope
There is also a current debate about the consequent relative lessening of visibility of other road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians.
Yes, UK roads are very safe for car occupants, but not so for other users.The more lights cars display, the more invisible everything else becomes in comparison. People on pedestrian crossings don't have running or walking lights, but are dependent on drivers' eyes not being desensitised by too many lights.
Daytime Notice Lights - NowWheels
I understand that day time running lights were adopted in countries
where many weeks of the year are simply twilight, hence their
use in Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland etc.

Up here in the Pennines, the perpetual winter cloud means that for six months of the year there isn't much light, so the same principles apply here as in the Nordic countries -- I have often wished we also had mandatory DNLs.

Mind you, Cliff has a good point about how DNLs reduce the relative visibility of pedestrians (and cyclists too). I hadn't thought of that before.
Daytime Notice Lights - expat
Where I am, in Australia, driving with lights on dip during the day is encouraged by the police and road safety authorities. It isn't mandatory but I believe South Australia is considering it. I always drive on dipped lights on country roads. It makes you much more visible from a distance. There aren't any pedestrians or cyclists out on our country roads other than the odd Japanese tourist cycling across the Nullabor.

You couldn't say that Australia is noted for grey skies and gloom yet the road safety people here consider that it is a worth while safety precaution.
Daytime Notice Lights - doug_r1
I was behind a woman in a newish car on Tuesday with just her number plate lights on, in all that rain/spray/cloud and other muck, daytime lights are no use if you don't check your bulbs work.
Daytime Notice Lights - Dynamic Dave
Doug, wasn't a Vectra was it? And was it actually moving, or stationary? The Vectra number plate comes on when the doors are unlocked and remains on (without the other lights being on) until the car goes above 5mph, where by that time the boot self locks and the number plate lights go off.
Daytime Notice Lights - doug_r1
Sorry for the delay, it might have been a Vectra, but she was doing 70-ish on the M53.
Daytime Notice Lights - grn
Saw lot's of good things whilst driving through Canada a few weeks ago - including DNL - intrigued that it only applies to the front lights and not the tail lights.

Daytime Notice Lights - ndbw
Have just bought a Honda Innova for local runs(its the replacement for the old C90)and find that the lights come on when the engine is started,seems a useful idea dont know if its the same on all new bikes.

ndbw
Daytime Notice Lights - SlidingPillar
Interesting debate, do you know the EEC is contemplating this?

I'm anti for two reasons.

a) Degrates non illumatable road users - pedestrians, horses, cycles etc. All of these are often ignored now, and this will only make it worse. I've included cycles as you need highish power to be lit in broad daylight

b) The requirement to fit such lights to a totaly inapproprate vehicle. There is no requirement at the moment to have lights on period vehicles and oil and acetylene lamps on vintage and veteran vehicles are treated as decorative rather than functional, so don't need to comply with any lighting regulations. Many such vehicles have no electrical system (magneto igition) and where they do, the generators are not really capable of continous light running.

I'm not convinced that the MK 1 eyeball needs this, and if MK 1 brain needs it, then caffine or a bus should be the answer.

Amazed to see so many views in favour actually.
Daytime Notice Lights - Sofa Spud
The sidelights on our Golf and Passat come on brighter when the engine is running. They show op quite well in dull conditions so I often turn them on.

One place I tend to use dipped headights, even in good daylight conditions, is when using the middle 'suicide' lane of a 3-lane single carriageway - we have such a road near us.

Cheers, SS
Daytime Notice Lights - Smileyman
When first introduced day running lights were 21 watt items in the parking (side) light position. Both Saab & Volvo had them. They used the same bulbs as found in stop/tail light units, and reverted to the 5 watt filament when the headlamp was in use.

Saab have dropped these lights (Why??) and Volvo now wire the headlamps to work when the engine is running.

Any action by the UK is likely to be booted out by the same Euro compromise that forced the removal of the excellent dim-dip system. I always felt these should have been wired to the ignition, but common sense solutions are not often the ones implemented.
Daytime Notice Lights - henry k
I have upgraded my parking lights with W5W bulbs.
Same wattage as the usual 501 wedge bulbs but much whiter and brighter. The bulbs have a blue envelope but give a white light. Expensive at £9.95 but came free with my Osram headlamp bulbs. Having fitted them and seen the improvement I would pay the price of replacements.

I had dip/dim on my Sierra and thought it was an excellent idea.
Daytime Notice Lights - L'escargot
<< Is it just a
case of government by snails

Not guilty, Your Honour!
--
L\'escargot.
Daytime Notice Lights - L'escargot
I don't mind Volvo daytime running lights, but some Volvo owners seem to abuse the privilege by switching on their headlights during daylight hours. I just hope it wears their bulbs out quicker!
--
L\'escargot.
Daytime Notice Lights - R40
Could somebody point me to an explanation of, or explain, the dim-dip system?

Many thanks in advance

R40
Daytime Notice Lights - Pugugly {P}
Dim dip was an excellent British idea, which as usual was cheap, effective and idiot proof.

When side lights were switched on headlamp bulbs were also lit on a lower power than usual, this stopped clowns driving around on sidelights in poor lighting conditions.

It was scrapped by the interference of a non-elected body (EEC then) as one of the member states disagreed with it and it didn't comply with rules written by an Eurocrat.

Not that I'm anti EU you know !
Daytime Notice Lights - Robin Reliant
Why exactly do you need daytime running lights? Anyone who can't see a vehicle in daylight unless it was lit would not make it to the end of their road without hitting something anyway, so I don't really see the advantage.

Lights make it harder to judge the speed and distance of oncoming vehicles, and vulnarable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists are lost in the glare. The accident rate increases markedly at night when all vehicles are using lights and they are easier to see, so why would it help during daylight?

I think it is one of these daft ideas on the "more is better" front which has never really been thought through. And please don't quote statistics to prove the point, because I have seen others that will prove exactly the opposite. Any expert can prove whatever they want from the same set of figures.
Daytime Notice Lights - buzbee
Dipped headlamps do not dip their beam to their nearside (UK). The extent of the dazzle can be seen by the way they light up the side of the road. Also when you are being overtaken. There is also dazzle and distraction when they go over a bump.

Indeed if they pull up facing the wrong way the beam is into the face of oncoming motorists.

I have no objection to proper dim-dip that does not have the dazzle factor. Many years ago, when I was pro-gadget, I rigged one of my cars with a switch to put both headlamps in series. In effect that put 6 volts on each of the two 12 volt bulbs to give a gentle glow.

For the curious, it was done by lifting one of the two headlamp earths and taking it to a changeover relay that optionally took it either to earth, as it was, or to 12 volts. The centre connection of the two lamps was aleady made for normal power-up.

But faced with cars with their bright lights on when visibility was still 1 mile or more, I lost the urge.

Also, some of these, so called, bright sidelights, have a high dazzle factor at an angle off the dead-ahead. Not nice.

There was some talk on here of the Volvo engine-on lights being banned in Germany. Is that true?
Daytime Notice Lights - pd
I thought the EU had already made them mandatory with a start date about now. It was part of the same agreement with car manufacturers which made ABS mandatory from the same point in time.

I assume it has been dropped?
Daytime Notice Lights - pd
To follow up my last post there is a final report on the benefits of DRL's on the EU's website.

It says they are beneficial but it looks as if member countries have different views on how to implement them with Germany saying they should be light sensitive, France saying they should be seperate from dipped headlights etc.

It's not clear if the EU has acted on the report yet.

Daytime Notice Lights - R40
PU

Many thanks for the explanation :)
Daytime Notice Lights - expat
Tom Shaw said:
Why exactly do you need daytime running lights?

Greyhound buses in the States found that they had fewer accidents with daytime lights. Volvo found the same. In a perfect world everyone would be perfectly alert and no one would ever tell the insurance company "I didn't see him". The world isn't perfect and we need all the help we can get to be noticed by other motorists.
Daytime Notice Lights - lezebre
People were less likely to miss seeing, in daylight,
Greyhound buses in the States
with daytime lights.

omigod!
Daytime Notice Lights - pdc {P}
Since getting my new car, which has automatic lights, which feature lights which stay on for about 30 seconds after locking the car, I've realised how willing people are to tell you that you've left your lights on.

I get told at least twice a day by people, and have to stop and explain how the lights work to them, otherwise they would think I was ignorant!
Daytime Notice Lights - pdc {P}
According to the manual of my new New Passat, the automatic headlights come on as a function of light levels, weather conditions (via the rain sensitive wipers), and vehicle speed.

They tend to come on when going through short underpasses, which must make other drivers think I'm a bit of a ...
Daytime Notice Lights - P 2501
Both my present car (honda accord) and my last car (peugeot 306) had the main headlamps come on dimly when the sidelights were put on.

Is this not dim-dip?

or maybe i'm being thick...
Daytime Notice Lights - Dynamic Dave
Is this not dim-dip?

Certainly sounds like it's dim dip.
Daytime Notice Lights - AlastairW
Was this not simply that the side light bulbs are let into the main reflector on these cars?
Daytime Notice Lights - P 2501
It doesn't look like it. From what i can see, the main headlamp bulbs are definately glowing at approx 1/4 power.
Daytime Notice Lights - nickKK
I will start by saying I have no problems with DRL's or DNL's in countrys where light levels are low, but in countrys where light levels are high for most of the day they can cause other road users such as cyclists and pedesrians to become invisable, now if dim-dip was brought back and DRL's were given a maximum wattage of 21watts then it would reduce the other problems caused be baddly aimed or bulbs which fail to meet the standard.
Daytime Notice Lights - Tomo
I agree with Tom Shaw in principle. In practice, I tend to drive with dipped headlights in less bright weather, even if visibility is good. Why? I am informed that one of the questions on insurance claim forms now is "what lights were you showing?" or words to that effect - I can guess the "right" answer.

What I need is a device which turns the headlight switch on in the event of an impact!
Could it not also be that they are also refering to indicators, such as the disscussion about lack of indicating right on mini RB's, also if I say your headlights were baddly aimed and distracted me and you claimed they were on and indeed the bulbs and Headlamp units were found to cause a huge distraction or were the wrong wattage 80/100 say, then you could be held part liable for the accident. or say a invisable road user was hit and you claimed to have your lights on yet again you contributed to the accident. Remember insurance companys want to find a reason to not pay - I know someone who works on this angle and if you say on taking out your insurance you will only travel 6000 miles yet have covered 8000 miles thats it they won't pay. During the day most insurance companys prefer headlights off as it is seen as pointless for them to be on but it probably makes no difference to the outcome in daylight hours, yet at night it is a different story - the insurance claim form is generic for day and night use so the lights question has more to do with night than day.

Daytime Notice Lights - $till $kint
Don't people talk some total and utter piffle about the practices of the insurance industry based on 2nd and 3rd hand accounts.

Still, the actual workings of an insurance claim don't make for interesting pub talk, but a beefed-up version gets people's attention.
$$
All I can say is that the insurance company's only ask questions for one reason.

Daytime Notice Lights - Robin Reliant
If daytime running lights do work, it is only while a minority of drivers use them. A car with lights on would stand out in a line of others who were unlit, but as soon as usage became total we would be back to square one again.

Then some burk would fit a flashing amber light to his roof and claim less people were pulling out on him and here we go again...
If daytime running lights do work, it is only while a
minority of drivers use them. A car with lights on would
stand out in a line of others who were unlit, but
as soon as usage became total we would be back to
square one again.
Then some burk would fit a flashing amber light to his
roof and claim less people were pulling out on him and
here we go again...

>>

Couldn't agree more, Why try to fix something that isn't broken.

One local bus company have daytime running lights, they claim that is has reduced a huge number of accidents, but the same chap also said that driver standards had also increased int he same period.

He claimed that people would get out of the way of a bus with headlights on, come on! we have two different companys that work from the same bus station and at school chucking out time during the summertime when it is still light I have seen no difference in the responce from the school children in fact more seem to get in the way of the buses with headlights on because the buses are slow,will stop and the children know it's there.

Daytime Notice Lights - jc
The EU and European requirements vary considerably on Daytime running lights.

1.Legal requirement in Scandinavia.
2.Not legal on cars sold in the Netherlands.
3.Now required on all new cars sold in Italy.
4.They do not appear in German lighting regulations,so therefore must not be fitted(only lights in regs. are allowed).
5.They do not appear in British lighting regulations,so therefore they can be fitted(nothing bans them).

Simple isn't it.
The EU and European requirements vary considerably on Daytime running lights.
1.Legal requirement in Scandinavia.
2.Not legal on cars sold in the Netherlands.
3.Now required on all new cars sold in Italy.
4.They do not appear in German lighting regulations,so therefore must not
be fitted(only lights in regs. are allowed).
5.They do not appear in British lighting regulations,so therefore they can
be fitted(nothing bans them).
Simple isn't it.

so if I take a standard Volvo (bought her in the UK) to the Netherlands I stand the risk of being pulled by the police ?

Daytime Notice Lights - jc
Not as a tourist or temporary visitor;your steering wheel would be on the wrong side to comply with their law too.And I said "sold" in the Netherlands.
Daytime Notice Lights - Hamsafar
Well, EU has just decided to make permanent headlights on law in all 'states'. 'States' now have to make proposals of how they eill meet the EU law. New cars sold from 2015 will have to have headlights permanently on!
oh well - they obviously want us to spend more money on driving!!

Daytime Notice Lights - madf
I think DNLs are a good idea.. and the comment :-"Anyone who can't see a vehicle in daylight unless it was lit would not make it to the end of their road without hitting something anyway, so I don't really see the advantage.":-
was obviously written in a hurry:-)

Anyone driven in a tree lined road in bright conditions? A black or dark car can be almost invisible in shade when the eyes are narrowed due to glare in the lit parts of the raod.

Having said that: the muppets who drive with badly adjusted headlmaps hurt my eyes. In day or night time.

As for pedestrians being less visible? If motorists stopped for pedestrians at zebra crossings life would be less hazardous. Pity the traffic police don't exist..
madf
Daytime Notice Lights - henry k
Well, EU has just decided to make permanent headlights on law in all 'states'.

>>New cars sold from 2015 will have to have headlights permanently on!
>>

I guess it is too much to ask for a complementary law that says it must be possible for Joe Public to change any bulb, except HIDS and side repeaters without tools.

Oh!!!, and front fog lights would also be exempt.
I was thinking about this while in the bath yesterday. The government claim that world will end soon partly due to the TV using 1.5w on standby and putting a bit too much water in a kettle. Well why are they then deciding we need to burn 100W all day long on millions of vehicles? That's a probably 0.1 kW/h per car per day in the UK alone.
Daytime Notice Lights - ajs
Surely the government is trying to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from power stations. Using lights on the car does not do this as the battery is recharged through the alternator as it is driven.

Driving the car is a different matter and clearly should be discouraged...
Daytime Notice Lights - blue_haddock
A fair while ago i read that volvo did a test regarding energy consumption by having dalylight running lights on - worked out to 0.05% extra so pretty much negligible.
Daytime Notice Lights - Navara Van man
my elderly nebiour was hit by a volvo after puling out in front of it, thinking the flashing of the volvo headlights was a signal by the volvo driver to let him out.
Ahem, where do you think the power for the laternator comes from?
100W is 100W whether it be from an engine-driven alternator or power station, still the same number of joules. Then there's the wastage overhead as neither are close to 100% efficient.