Serious Crash Unit - greenhey
On yet another satellite channel with no money for programmes they show a series called "Serious Crash Unit" from New Zealand,which investigates the causes of accidents.
Tonight a guy had crashed his nasty Pajero and been killed when ejected from it as the car rolled along the road. There was a piece about the guy and how he was so proud of his two young daughters, who of course would now be without their father.
He was not, of cousre, using his belt despite it being the law to so in NZ.
I'm sorry it happened to him but I have a problem accepting the testimony to his value as a a parent when he did not take a simple, and legally-required action that would have saved his life .
Surely even if you don't care about your own safety , you have a responsibility to those who depend on you. And more broadly you are responsible to society as a whole , as his death will have significant cost implications for the state, as well as cranking up insurance premiums for the rest of us.
Serious Crash Unit - David Horn
It's called natural selection. Tragic, but ultimately he probably did the human race a service.

People who risk their own life needlessly I find extremely selfish - yes, they might kill themselves, but they don't think about their family / parents / children. There seems to be an increasing number of young drivers not wearing their seatbelts at the moment.
Serious Crash Unit - turbo11
At least idiots like that provide my Paramedic friend with work!
Serious Crash Unit - Altea Ego
And he was drunk

And tired
Serious Crash Unit - Pugugly {P}
and probably no impact on NZ Insurance costs as insurance for car nor driver is a legal requirement there.
Serious Crash Unit - moosh
Impressed by the forsenic guy who determined that the 'fractured disc brake' didn't cause the crash.

It looked initally that this was the cause of the accident
Serious Crash Unit - Pete M
Was this the one where the family said that the vehicle had been back to the dealer several times over the strange handling, but nothing had ever been found? Being drunk and tired certainly reduces the ability to react quickly to unusual events. No excuse for not wearing his seat belt though. Outside the cities, our roads are at best 'A' roads and more often 'B' roads or worse.
Serious Crash Unit - Citroënian {P}
This sounds like exactly the trashy sort of motoring stuff that makes my contribution to Murdoch worthwhile every month - can someone point me to the right channel/day so I can set Sky+?

Thanks
-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Serious Crash Unit - Pete M
Actually, it's not trashy. It does dumb down a bit, with nice computer animations etc, but it's not sensationalist. It is a 'fly on the wall' programme, but it treats the subject sensitively and tastefully. Probably as good as any of the UK motorway police programmes.
Pete, I mean trashy in the sense of most reality TV stuff - we no longer seem to get anything on TV that someone has sat down and crafted unless it's got some Z list "celebrity" in it.

I complain about Strictly Come Dancing, X Factor, When Pets Turn Bad and Britains worst TV shows, but I recognise that really, my favourite TV stuff {doffs cap to Sheriff John Bunnell} is no better really.
-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Serious Crash Unit - Adam {P}
:;Face lights up::

Did you mention The Sheriff????
Serious Crash Unit - madf
I like Strictly Come Dancing..

as for the others I don't watch them .. but you do :-)
madf
{Stretching to bring this back on topic...}

Why is it that there are hardly any racing drivers in these shows? Is it because they've already got enough money, do they have enough pride to keep off jungle maggot eating or are they relatively unknown and so don't really rate as celebrities.

I remember seeing "Cyberzone" being filmed in Manchester (many years ago) and they had Louise Aitken-Walker on as a "celeb". No one except me and a fellow petrol head had a clue who she was; be we were quite impressed to meet her.

--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Serious Crash Unit - patently
they had Louise Aitken-Walker on as a "celeb".

Who??

;-)
Serious Crash Unit - greenhey
I am mystified by the generation of more and more channels.
Apparently there will be an ITV4 from next week.
If you've seen ITvs 2 and 3, you'll know it's as if they lobbied for the licence, then having got it had no idea how to fill the time . For example, Zulu still is shown on either of them every few months or so .That must be so old they must worry each time they show it that the tape will snap.
When you look at their schedule, you realise the philosophy is "We've got a two hour gap there, anyone got any ideas of what we can fill it with , either some variant of X Factor or a movie, that our spotty young trainee can safely load into the video machine"
Serious Crash Unit - Altea Ego
You can never get enough Zulu. Super film
Serious Crash Unit - $till $kint
I have it on DVD and it gets a regular airing. Brings a lump to my throat no matter how often I see it. Same goes for Dambusters and Das Boot.

Why is 633 squadron never shown these days? That Morricone theme is superb!

Oh gawd, I've turned into my dad......
>can't get enough Zulu

Hear, hear. ITV1-ITVn is pretty rubbish though.
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Serious Crash Unit - Red Baron
Das Boot. Brilliant movie, although some of the impact is lost in the english translation.

Anyway, it appears that whenever someone goes to meet their maker after a car accident, there is always going to be a piece about how wonderful and considerate that person was.

QED.
Serious Crash Unit - Mapmaker
David Horn: natural selection

Unfortunately, natural selection does not work like that. It is supposed to weed out poor samples from future breeding. In his case, this chap has already been bred from, so his genes carry on.

A more accurate medical term to apply is 'organ donor'.

Greenhey - what a fascinating choice of programme watching...