Honda Civic Tyres - piflnjfc
Hello

I have a Honda Civic 1.6 5 door and i now need to replace all 4 tyres.

Please can any recommend a good set of tyres?
My car is used for city and motorway driving

Thank you
Honda Civic Tyres - Dynamic Dave
What have you currently got fitted?
Were you happy with them?

If so, then why not fit the same again?
Honda Civic Tyres - Avant
In my experience Michelins cost more but last a lot longer than most others.

The original front pair on the Audi did 22,000 miles, but I'm on a servicing plan and stupidly Audi don't authorise Michelins as replacements (who makes idiotic decisions like that?). After only 7,000 more miles the replacement Continentals don't look as if they will last anything like that long. The rear Michelins look as if they will last forever.

So it depends on how long you're likely to keep your Civic.
Honda Civic Tyres - helicopter
I have just replaced all four tyres on my Civic and actually raised the same question on the forum last month.

I decided that as Honda had factory fitted Bridgestone Potenzas I would stick with them.

Cost £57 per corner all inclusive of valves , balancing VAT etc.

Plenty of cheaper and plenty more expensive tyres available but my reasoning was that if Honda think the correct rubber for the Civic is Bridgestone, who am I to disagree.

Honda Civic Tyres - L'escargot
<< if Honda think the correct rubber for the
Civic is Bridgestone, who am I to disagree.

Some car manufacturers source the tyres from more than one supplier. (If they had just one supplier and the supplier had production problems then ......) Ask your dealer what different makes of tyre are normally fited to your model.
--
L\'escargot.
Honda Civic Tyres - L'escargot
I'm on a servicing plan and stupidly Audi don't authorise Michelins
as replacements (who makes idiotic decisions like that?). After only
7,000 more miles the replacement Continentals don't look as if they
will last anything like that long. The rear Michelins look
as if they will last forever.

That's probably primarily because your Audi is front wheel drive. The rear tyres on most (if not all) front wheel drive cars last a long time.
--
L\'escargot.
Honda Civic Tyres - Roly93
In my experience Michelins cost more but last a lot longer
than most others.

Yes for the larger tyre sizes michelin are prohibitively expensive, but do give great overall grip versus wear.
However, the new generation of Goddyear tyres seem good especially the Eagle GSD3's.
They were noticably better and longer lasting than the continentals I had on my Saab.
Honda Civic Tyres - Roly93
The original front pair on the Audi did 22,000 miles, but
I'm on a servicing plan and stupidly Audi don't authorise Michelins
as replacements (who makes idiotic decisions like that?). After only
7,000 more miles the replacement Continentals don't look as if they
will last anything like that long. The rear Michelins look
as if they will last forever.

I only got 17500 on my Audi A4 from the front mounted Continentals despite the fact I am a fairly sedate driver round town, and do a lot of motorway miles. Contis are an okay tyre, but are a soft compaund I think.
Honda Civic Tyres - andymc {P}
Vredestein Hi-Trac or Sport-Trac are both good grippy tyres. Sport-Trac have a higher speed rating, but are a bit noisier. Excellent in the wet. Got over 20k from the last set (Hi-Trac) and have just fitted Sport-Tracs.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Honda Civic Tyres - paulb {P}
My Civic (also 5-door, 1.6) has now done 26,000 miles on the original Dunlop SP Sport 300Es that were fitted in the factory. Plenty of tread left (>4.5mm), but the wet-weather grip doesn't feel quite as good as it was, so shall probably replace in the next couple of months. Will definitely get the same again. I see a lot of other Civics around with this sort of tyre. Kwik-Fit quote about £295 for 4, fitted, but I'm pretty sure that could be bettered elsewhere.
Honda Civic Tyres - tack
sorry I can't answer the tyre question, but am intrigued by the fact that you own a 5 foor Civic. I test drove one at the weekend (1.6 SE Executive) was impressed and am considering buying one as, brand new, they seem to be extremely good value. Am I too easily impressed? Interested to know your views as owners.
Honda Civic Tyres - helicopter
You could be getting a good deal because Honda are about to launch a new Civic soon I believe.

The Honda reputation is built on reliabilty and I can only say that my Civic has never let me down and although it is perceived as an unexciting old duffers car the Executive has all the bells and whistles I want at a very reasonable price.I would certainly buy another and might just be tempted by the new model.

Anyway - I'm just off to the sweet shop to get my Werthers ....
Honda Civic Tyres - Falkirk Bairn
My 5 yr old Honda came with Michelins as original fitment - I replaced them with Michelins.

Costco (Branches around the country but you have to be a member) were £43-£44 each 185/65 x 14.

This is a Premium Tyre @ the price of Medium Brands such as Avon/Firestone at your local tyre suppliers.

As for buying a current 1.6 Civic - I would hold fire as the prices will come down as the new model gets nearer release in Jan 2006.

I was offered £2k off a 5 door Civic without asking - I was awaiting a repair invoice in the showroom.

HJ's best prices article seems to have a few entries for 2005 Civics.

By Jan 2006 the prices could be sharper - but then you might not get your first colour choice.

2001 - they reduced the list price of outgoing Civic 1.6 by £4000
that''s 2 x the discount offered 3/4 weeks ago
Honda Civic Tyres - A. Badger
My Accord came fitted with Bridgestones, which I've now replaced, twice (the fronts managing just an average of 12,000 miles).

I won't go for Bridgestones again on this car, as I don't think that's particularly good.

Michelin seems to be favoured as 'the best' and several dealers have tried hard to push Contis - but previous experience of poor wear on Contis has put me off that brand.

As the obstacle to Michelin seemed to be price, I was impressed by a quote of £154 (all included) from a branch of ATS - and when I said that seemed a lot cheaper than most were quoting for these tyres (I won't shame Kwik Save by repeating their offering!)I was told that Micheln owns ATS, hence the price.

So, if brand M is what you eventually go for, my advice is to find an ATS Euromaster and see how low they can go.
Honda Civic Tyres - Red Baron
For a few years now I have chosen Bridgestone Potenza RE720. On my Alfa and Mondeo they offer better grip on the wet than Dunlop Sports, NCT5s, Firestone FS.

Most tyre tests bear out the benefit of a tyre that performs well in the wet which is when you will most likely need its superior ability over something like a Michelin.

A little extra road noise and slightly shorter lifetime is a price well worth paying if you avoid an accident with a better 'wet' tyre.

I find that the Bidgestones will easily last 20k miles on the front. 205/55/16 cost about 85 quid.
Honda Civic Tyres - A. Badger
I'd take a lot of convincing that the Bridgestones are noticeably better than Michelins. In fact, I'd take some convincing they were as good (a view endorsed by my Honda dealer, incidentally).

The 20k you're getting is impressive. With 195/60/15 Bridgestone Potenzas on my Accord I've consistently got less than 15,000 miles and I stopped driving like a lunatic 20 years ago. Perhaps the Honda is heavy on tyres?