1990mk2golf1.3 brake drum/bearing? - Sarb11
Hello

Every time I brake medium/hard there is a scraping/scouring sound from the passenger side of my car. Inititally throught it was the front wheel so I had the front pads/discs changed. This did not solve the problem, garage reckoned it was the front bearing so we changed this, but did not solve the problem. The garage then reckoned it could be the rear passenger side bearing, changed this but again this has not solved the problem.

Now they think it could be the rear passenger side brake drum. Before I spend any more money replacing the drums I want to be sure that this is the problem. I cant think think of anything else. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
1990mk2golf1.3 brake drum/bearing? - Civic8
I would have thought they would have spotted any problems with rear drums on removal,I also think they should have inspected all brakes before deciding whether to change any bearings.sounds like they are working on pure guess work rather than getting down to finding real reason for problem,brake shoes down to metal would cause it.but they need to look not guess
--
Steve
Thanks for the post, I would have to agree with you Steve I don't know why they cant pinpoint the problem.
1990mk2golf1.3 brake drum/bearing? - sierraman
As you only get the noise when you brake it must be the brakes,but why did they not check when doing bearings?The rear drum requires the bearing to be undone to get it off on your car.Sounds like your garage has a job creation scheme going on,I would look for a better one.
Thanks for the advice. They have quoted me £100 to get the rear drums and shoes done. does this sound fair?
All very well getting the quote,but are they needed.I would go elsewhere and get second opinion!
--
Steve
Will do. Quick question though, I had the car MOT'd in August would the brakes not have showed up on the MOT test as being worn? The noise was present then.
if they work to MOT standard they will pass on rear drum,check only mentions pads being worn to excess-below limit on inspection--please anyone correct if wrong?
--
Steve