Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - mondeo
All,

A week ago, just before we went on holiday some one bumped their car into my side door - causing damage to both passenger side doors.

I have no idea how much it'll cost to repair - must be at least £500, I'd have thought. I have max. no claims discount (protected) - is it better for me to pay for this repair myself, or shall I go thru the insurance - someone at work said that even with protected NCD, my premium will still go up next year if I claim thru the insurance - which I don't quite understand.

Apologies for the naive question!
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - Truckosaurus
>>someone at work said that even with protected NCD,
my premium will still go up next year if I claim
thru the insurance - which I don't quite understand.

Your colleague is correct, you'll still retain your 'No Claims Discount' (60%?) but you will have (unless you are very lucky) a higher initial premium due to having made a claim. The NCD will then be applied to this amount.

You need to do your sums to work out which method of payment will be best. Use one of the online quote engines such as www.confused.com and enter your current details and then try again but saying you've had a claim, that might give a clue as to the premium increase.
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - martint123
Don't forget the excees that you have to pay up first.
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - L'escargot
<< ......causing damage to
both passenger side doors.
I have no idea how much it'll cost to repair -
must be at least £500 ....

If you have new door skins (there isn't much panel-beating done these days) I would guess it cost be a LOT more than £500. Get a proper estimate from a reputable body shop BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.

<< I have max.
no claims discount (protected) - is it better for me to
pay for this repair myself, or shall I go thru the
insurance ......

There doesn't seem to be much point in paying for a protected NCD if you aren't going to make a claim when your car gets damaged.

<< ....someone at work said that even with protected NCD,
my premium will still go up next year if I claim
thru the insurance

My insurer doesn't do this. If they did I would take my business elsewhere. ASK your insurer what they would do.

Get the facts before you commit yourself.

--
L\'escargot.
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - just a bloke
My insurer doesn't do this. If they did I would take
my business elsewhere. ASK your insurer what they would do.

*ALL* insurance companies will increase your premium if you make a claim.
As someone explained if you have protected NCD you are effectively paying for insurance in case you have to use your insurance (!?!?!), you keep the discount but the premium goes up.

There is no need to ask your insurance question, their answer will be, report it to us and allow us to get it sorted, that is why they are in business!
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - patently
*ALL* insurance companies will increase your premium if you make a
claim.

As I found, they will also increase your premium if you were involved in an incident that led to a justifiable claim, even if you sorted it our yourself in order to avoid having to make a claim. That hurt, especially as it was a rear end shunt in which the third party admitted liability and paid up in full. So, obviously, in such circumstances I have to pay a higher premium.... }:-(

Unless you don't tell them, of course, in which case the insurance is invalid for lack of material disclosure.

So you have four choices:

Tell them and claim: they pay for the repair, your premium bumps up.

Tell them but don't claim: you pay for the repair, your premium bumps up.

Don't tell them and don't claim; you pay for the repair, your premium is unaffected but is a waste of money because you're not insured. You are also at risk of being prosecuted...

Don't tell them but do claim: This is difficult to achieve in practice.

You've paid them to be there: use them. It's marginally less hassle than doing it yourself.
>>
>> My insurer doesn't do this. If they did I would
take
>> my business elsewhere. ASK your insurer what they would do.
>>
*ALL* insurance companies will increase your premium if you make a
claim.

'Allo 'allo, I will say this only once...!

I have just rung my insurance company (CIS) and they confirmed what I said. In the event that I make a claim my gross premium will NOT go up at the next renewal date as a result of me making a claim.

Also, my NCD percentage will remain unaffected provided that I don't make more than 3 claims in the 3 years up to the renewal date.
--
L\'escargot.
Naive repair Que - insurance or private? - Truckosaurus
I have just rung my insurance company (CIS) and they confirmed
what I said. In the event that I make a claim
my gross premium will NOT go up at the next renewal
date as a result of me making a claim.

I'll have to go out and crash my car, as my premium always seems to go up each year without making any claims. :-)
>> I have just rung my insurance company (CIS) and they
confirmed
>> what I said. In the event that I make a
claim
>> my gross premium will NOT go up at the next
renewal
>> date as a result of me making a claim.
I'll have to go out and crash my car, as my
premium always seems to go up each year without making any
claims. :-)

I didn't say my premium wouldn't go up when prevailing premium rates go up, merely that mine wouldn't go up AS A RESULT OF MAKING A CLAIM, i.e. my premium would not be loaded.
--
L\'escargot.