Vauxhall Carlton - Nikolas Nikolaides
I own an F reg Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 CDi, and yes I know it's getting old now, but it has now started to cut out ( on the motorway sometimes!! ) and then refusing to start. I have noticed that the engine management light starts to flicker and then goes out.

I do manage to get it started but then it happens again.

This problem has baffled the AA and various mechanics, who have suggested crankshaft sensor, ECU or even alternator. The AA even suggested the aerials at Heathrow !! ( I was at the car park that time ! )

Anybody experienced this before ?

Help !!!

Nick
Re: Vauxhall Carlton - Richard Hall
I had this problem years ago with a D reg Asta GTE. It defeated 3 AA mechanics, and I spent about four hours tracing wires with a multimeter before I found the problem. One of the wires going into a multipin connector in the engine bay had corroded inside the connector and broken off, but was still held in place by the others, so it wasn't obvious - especially as the connector was hidden behind the battery. Chances are that Vauxhall used the same connectors (big round white ones) on Carltons.
Re: Vauxhall Carlton - David Davies
Before going any further with this, make sure you have a new fuel injection relay fitted (you may have done this already). It is inside the 'black box' on the nearside bulkhead. I think it was the most comon problem with this model.
Re: Vauxhall Carlton - David W
Funny you should say that Richard. A Carlton was towed here last year by a DIY owner who had spent weeks trying to get it going (it was a little used second car).

Turned out to be a similar problem. One of the ign LT feeds was faulty due to the inner wire breaking with corrosion about 3mm back from its moulded plug, the outer insulation looked perfect.

David