Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Darkheart
Before I start I don't profess to a huge amount about cars and car buying so please don't berate me for my lack of knowledge. The very fact I'm asking for help here tells you I would appreciate your advice.

OK, it's new car time (or rather nearly new, I don't buy new cars), I've got a budget of £12K-17K (17 is absolute max not one penny more), I want a car that's 2 years old or less and I'm looking for something in the luxury/presitge/executive end of the market and I'm looking for a Saloon or Executive hatchback type of car.

I know I can get a 1-2 year old X-Type 2.5L V6 Sport for about 15K which is nicely in the middle of my price range. The 2.5L has AWD and the V6 provides plenty of spunk.

Why I like the X-Type: I think it's a nice mix of luxury, power and praciticality and I like:

The drive is smooth and comfortable but sporty enough to be fun and felt like there was plenty of power left if I wanted it.
The quality inside is nice and it feels like a luxury car and has a great finish.
The Cabin Space is large and comfortable, I'm a big guy (6'2" and 19 stone (it's all muscle honest ;) ) and I don't feel cramped and actually have to pull the seat forwards.
I don't particularly like the instruments on the X-Type but I'll learn to live with them.
I have a wife and 2 kids and there is plenty of room for them when needed.
I quite like the external look of the car particularly the sport version.
It will be quite expensive to run but I'm not too concerned about that.
As a status symbol I quite like the X-Type it's a bit understated and (I feel) allows me to show off a bit without actually doing it overtly.
Basically I can't find anything I really don't like about it.

Obviously before getting into this I have done some research and these are some of the other cars I've checked out and tried and very briefly what I thought:

BMW 3 Series (various): Drives ok, is VERY barren inside and EVERYTHING is extra, doesn't feel like a luxury car at all, instead feels like a nicely crafted metal box that someone happens to have attached four wheels and an engine to in a rather clever way.

Audi A4 2.0L FSI Sport: Again barren and boring inside, and simply pathetic drive even the 2L Disel Jaguar is a more exciting drive than this POS. A bit cramped inside, no quality finish and SO DULL.

Audi A6: Too expensive anyway, but better quality, the drive is just as flat and boring though. Are only the Audio TT's any fun to drive?

Mercedes C Class: Mercedes have WAY TOO MANY models so maybe they have something I should have tried and haven't because I simply don't know about it. Anyway the Merc was OK but not that fun at all and they seem VERY common now. Maybe if I was looking for a cheap deal I might buy one but I'm not after the cheapest car I can get here. It may have won some awards but it didn't ring my bell.

Volvo S60: I haven't test driven this one but I am thinking I might, it looks quite nice and they are quite cheap. Anyone tried/got one and do you like it? Worth a look?

Lexus: I think this would be too expensive and they don't seem too common either, is this worth examing further?

OK, help me out here, is there something I have missed that I should be looking at? Or things I should be aware of before buying? Please don't just slag off the X-Type but also say what you would choose instead and why it is better than the X-Type.

Thanks,

Darkheart
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Happy Blue!
Not sure you need our help!

You've found a car, selected it from a variety of alternatives and have found several reasons why you like it several why you don't like the others.

You may find a Merc C240 around, but the Jags are much better value than the Mercs. Mercs ride well.

The Volvo S60 is a fine driving car, but I find a little cramped in the rear and has a harsh ride in the low profile tyres. They ca get a little baggy after three years, but there is something to like about them, especially the interior.

Alternatives to these - no 'executive cars' but plenty of top of the range Mondeo, Vectra, 406/7 V6 engined cars with all the extras. But you will need to keep them for longer than the Jag to make sense financially. However they are good cars.

Honda Accord is another alternative that bridges the gap netween the two classes and is deservedly popular and has a very good diesel engine. Try one out, you may be surprised!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - $till $kint
Personally I like them. Sure, it's Mondeo based, but the Mondeo is a sound base to start from. I also rather like your summary of the Beemer and the Audi.

Lexus is about to be replaced. They are also starting to appear with "chav" modifications which is cheapening the image somewhat.

S60 is a nice car, if a little cramped in the back.

Personally I'd take the Jag.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Big Bird
Can I get in before the rush - Mondeo TDCi. After all the X type is just a Mondeo with a smart coat on.

If you really want a proper Jag, go for an older S type.

Dan
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Roly93
I've gone through this exact decision process myself.

I would start by saying, if you dont like Audi's then I would buy a Mondeo Estate and save yourself some cash rather than the X-type.
I was looking at the X-type estate, Audi Avant and BMW touring.
I ruled out the BMW touring due to extreme lack of space and higher running cost. I then ruled out the Jag X-type cus I just didn't like the interior - too 'gentlemens club' like. I am also against these badge engineered hybrid cars, having recently had a Saab 93 Sport saloon (Vectra based).

Personally, I find the Audi to be very solid, okay a bit boring inside but otherwise great and trouble-free. Also, if you are buying second-hand, there isn't that much difference between A4 and A6 prices, that is unless you are looking at the new shape A6.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Stuartli
I can't understand why you even need to ask the question - go for it...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Stuartli
I'm told by a pal who now runs his used car sales business from home that the latest Accords are not as good as those of two or three years ago and older models.....

To back it up, one of the management level employees at a local Honda franchise recently persuaded another friend to part-ex his 1992 Accord for a used Civic.

When he went to collect the Civic my friend asked the salesman if they had sold his Accord yet; he was informed the said management level employee had had his eye on it for a long time....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Altea Ego
Buy it. People will tell you lots about it not being a real jag, only a tarted up mondeo. Ignore them I think the x-type is a fine car and real value for money. I would have one over a vulgar common BeeM every time.

Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - cheddar
I agree with RF re the X-Type a great car, I fancy a 2.2d estate myself.

As someone has already mentioned Mondeo I will point out that you can get a 3.0 V6 Ghia X or ST220 or a 2.2 TDCi Ghia X or ST for under 17k from a broker, all a slightly more sporty drive than the X-Type due to the suspension set up.

That being said it sounds like you are set on an X-Type, so go for it, get one!
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Xileno {P}
Me too. I like the X-type but if getting a diesel watch out for smoke. I was following a diesel one the other day, it was pushing out a lot of smoke for a '53' plate. I expect there's a cure though.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - AK76
Damn you beat me to it. I was going to say a Mondeo TDCI...

I can understand why you would say that. After all his post made no mention of diesels. Good opportunity to mention the Mondeo TDCI again however. Well done.

Joking aside i agree. The Jag is nice. My uncle had 2 - both 2.5. First one was a sport which he sold to get the SE (i think) as the Sport ride was too hard. But the Sport did look nicer.

My cousin had a C Class at the same time and said the X Type was far sharper to drive.

Lexus are nice, but the new IS200-250 is out soon and will make the old ones values drop considerably.

Its all well and good suggesting mondeo, passat, laguna etc but firstly, they are very dull. secondly a big engined one of those will lost sooo much money. The X Type is a far safer bet. Dont forget those cars are cheaper to start with for a reason.

Go for the Jag. Nice car.
>> Its all well and good suggesting mondeo, passat, laguna etc but firstly, they are very dull. >>

Depends what you call dull, I guess though to many people it is more important how a car drives than the badge it wears.
secondly a big engined one of those will lost sooo much money.>>

The Mondeo and Passat both hold value much better than the Laguna, an ST220 at £17k from a broker should be a good new buy.
Also, X-type owners aren't the happiest bunch in the country, due to the less than reliable reputation of this car, bad considering there aren't that many of them around.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Gazza
As you said this Jag is a discretionary item. It will make you happier in life than buying any of other brands so go for it. The 3.0 X-Type is very different to drive to the Mondeo 2.5 Ghia X before everyone dives in to say the Mondeo is the same drive. If there is not much different in price between the 2.5 & 3.0, the 3.0 is a better drive too. Fuel economy is identical between the two on at constant 70mph, though the 3.0 is probably 10% heavier for city driving. I regularly hear autoboxes needed replacement but as you are going for the manual, that should be fine. Check the clutch as on a AWD the clutch takes more stress than 2WD.
The 3.0 X-Type is very different to drive to the Mondeo 2.5 Ghia X before everyone dives in to say the Mondeo is the same drive. >>

More relevant to compare with the 3.0 Ghia X surely? And no they are not the same to drive, the 2.5 and 3.0 X-Types have 4WD which gives great traction though the rear suspension set up is based on the Mondeo estate giving a less sporty handling bias than the 4 and 5 door Mondeos.
X-Type felt more planted over bumpy roads than Mondeo, where direction changes in Mondeo at high speed felt very nervous and tail-happy. I agreed the Mondeo would be more fun to drive. However, if you are just criusing then it is not much fun if you keep spining 180 degrees at the mildly damped, greasy roundabouts. The X-Type gives a more mature drive.
However, if you are just criusing then it is not
much fun if you keep spining 180 degrees at the mildly
damped, greasy roundabouts. >>

What are you trying to say?
To make the handling more responsive, Ford has also made the car more nervous to drive, easier to spin and more difficult to catch, as you would be driving much faster than normal. I have had the 94 Mondeo in the past and had a 01 Mondeo when I worked there.

Mondeo is just not relaxing enough if you want to get home as quickly as possible after a long day of work. You have to be more alert to drive fast in a Mondeo on wet/greasy roads to avoid spining it.

I liked the Mondeo more than the X-Type when drove it a few years ago, but I was a student then. Now having to work 90-hour days for more than half a year, if I have a choice I would take a softer, less responsive, AWD car to get home quickly after a long day's work. That's the X-Type or an Audi AWD.
The Mondeo is not nervous or easy to spin, it simply has a well sorted chassis, comunicative steering and very high levels of grip making it fun to drive, as with most modern cars you would really have to be doing highly illegal speeds in very inappropriate places and conditions to have any chance of spinning it. The other thing about the Mondeo is it is relaxed at normal speeds, ok so not a C5 type ride though pretty refined, however it's character changes as you press on, it just seems to tighten up and go where you point it.

On the other had Audi 4WD have a rather antiseptic character, loads of grip and traction though not much feedback and character.

Perhaps the conclusion is that the X-Type 4WD fits nicely between the two.
The Mondeo is not nervous or easy to spin, it simply
has a well sorted chassis, comunicative steering and very high levels
of grip making it fun to drive, as with most modern
cars you would really have to be doing highly illegal speeds
in very inappropriate places and conditions to have any chance of
spinning it. The other thing about the Mondeo is it is
relaxed at normal speeds, ok so not a C5 type ride
though pretty refined, however it's character changes as you press on,
it just seems to tighten up and go where you point
it.

Agreed with everything said. However, on the test track at least when I worked at Ford, when the Mondeo is driven into the kind of left-right-left chicane (similar to driving round a large A-road roundabout) in wet condition and in excess of 60-70mph, you have to be very quick with the opposite lock when to car start to tail-slide or you will lose it. The X-Type under-steer more, loses more speed by under-steering, and generally feel less lively and more barge-like to drive by comparison.

If I am in mood I'll choose the Mondeo. If I am driving home at 3-4am after a very long day of work, I'll take the X-Type everytime.
On the other had Audi 4WD have a rather antiseptic character,
loads of grip and traction though not much feedback and character.
Perhaps the conclusion is that the X-Type 4WD fits nicely between
the two.

I totalling agreed with you.

Right, time to drive back to London from my client in Swindon :-(
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Marc
I took a look at an 02 plate X Type 2.0 SE saloon when I last changed my car. What put me off was the amount of disatisfied owners to be found on the internet. The car seemed to have a litany of faults. Don't know if these have now been ironed out. Regarding the car itself I really liked it. Jag quality and image in a medium sized car with a reasonably economical engine. Only thing I didn't like was the instrument binnacle and surrounding vents - looked a bit cheap. If I were to consider one now as a private purchase it would have to be the diesel estate.

Given your choice I would opt for the Volvo S60 if you can put up with the small boot aperture and cramped rear quarters.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - 007

Bearing in mind your stated dimensions, another option could be:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34530
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - commerdriver
If you find the seats comfortable go for it , having tested an X type, a Honda Accord, a saab 93 and an A4 in the last month I reckon the Saab is the best, the x type was closest to it but both I and SWMBO found the seats incredibly uncomfortable. Best looking car in the class by a long way.
"Badge engineering" is part of the modern motor industry and , havinng had a Saab for the last 4 years and tested various others I don't buy the idea that the ones form the same owning company and just the same under the skin.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - madf
If you like HEAVY depreciation, go ahead and buy a Jaguar. And if fuel consumption does not matter buy a 3.0 litre one. And if servcing costs are irrelevant you've made the right choice.

If you worry about any of the above, it will be the worst choice becasue sure as eggs are eggs, it depreciates fast, uses lots of fuel and is not cheap to run.

Personally I like the interior and drive, think the loos outside leave me cold. And Jaguar - despite what the devotees say - have zero sporting heritage now. They're just another expensive car.
madf
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Darkheart
Thanks to everyone for their responses so far. Quite a few people have suggested the Mondeo and I have looked at it. I suppose it's largely perception but to me at least the X-Type is a "cool" car and the Mondeo is a nice practical family car even if you get the up market models. Yes I could get a Mondeo a bit cheaper but it wouldn't feel the same.

LOL @ the guy who suggested buying a bike, it's ok I go to the gym twice a week but thanks for the thought.

Are Jaguar's really that bad on reliability? Most sites I've seen have reliability posted at "above average" or better, usually "good". I plan to keep the Jag for 3-4 years so it will be 5-6 years old when I sell it so I'm not hugely bothered about re-sale value. Will I be hitting expensive upkeep with an X-Type after 5 years?

1-2 Year old Volvo S60's seem really thin on the ground so I don't know if I've got a chance of getting one, new they are wandering out of the price range.

Someone suggested the Estate versions of various cars, unfortunatly I have a problem with Estate's, I hate them. I think they are ugly and find them tedious to drive so an Estate is out.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, certainly a lot of them have been more positive than some of the friends comments I've had.

Darkheart
I forgot the far heavier depreciation than the Audi or BMW options........
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Sprice
Talk you out of an X type? Ok, it wil probably break down a lot and will depreciate more than competitors.

By a nice 2nd hand Lexus GS300 that has already done its depreciation, and a far better car than the Jag and German stuff too.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - MichaelR
Go and drive a BMW 5 Series. Odd you've tested the 3 Series and the larger cars but not the 5 Series.

Oh, and the GS300 a 'better car than the German stuff'?

No. The 5 Series is one of the finest cars in the world. The Lexus is a nice, posh Toyota.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Kevin
Excuse me old chap. I think you may be allowing emotion to cloud your judgement.

>If you like HEAVY depreciation, go ahead and buy a Jaguar. And if fuel
>consumption does not matter buy a 3.0 litre one. And if servcing costs
>are irrelevant you've made the right choice.

If you can tell us of any modern 3.0L petrol 'executive' car that won't depreciate, is economical on fuel and cheap to service, we'd all be interested.

>If you worry about any of the above, it will be the worst choice becasue
>sure as eggs are eggs, it depreciates fast, uses lots of fuel and is not
>cheap to run.

He's looking for 'something in the luxury/presitge/executive end of the market' with a budget of £12-£17K, not a Corsa/Micra/Fiesta! Tell us again what fits his requirements that isn't going to depreciate, use fuel or need servicing!

>And Jaguar - despite what the devotees say - have zero sporting heritage now.
>They're just another expensive car.

Yeah right. Never heard of the R-type models then? I suppose that winning the US Trans-AM road racing championships in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 also doesn't count?

Kevin...

PS. Before you ask. Yes, I do own one and you really are missing the point.

PPS. Darkheart, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - R75
Go for it.

My father has had the diesel version for about a year and he loves it, I went on a longish journey the other week in it and I have to say I was quite impressed, hopefully he will keep it for a couple more years and then I can buy it off of him ;o)

He is also impressed with his dealer (Bristol somewhere) as when it goes in for a service he gets another one to use, it has been back for a couple of minor probs but they dealt with it very well and he is happy to buy another one when the time comes. In contrast his last car was an Alfa Spider and he had no end of trouble with it and whenever it was in for a service or warrenty work all he got as a Punto as a replacement!!!!!!!!
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Sprice
Yeah, a nice posh Toyota that always wipes the floor with the opposition in satisfaction and reliability surveys.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Nsar
I drove a 3 yr old GS300 on at £12k this morning, nothing wrong with it whatsoever but it does bring to mind middle aged blokes who wear "slacks" rather than trousers and grey slip-on shoes.

Have you looked at SAAB? Your budget will give you the pick of loaded 9-5s with oodles of power in the big diesel or the petrol Aeros, although I believe the latter don't hold their value as well. Looks better as an estate than a saloon, but that's entirely subjective. Good dealers too.

Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Falkirk Bairn
£15K will buy you a 1 year old 15K mile Lexus IS200 Sport.
You buy it and, apart from servicing, you won't see the garage until you want another new car.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Pugugly {P}
Go for it. Nice cars by any standard. Nice to see a rationally argued reason for excluding other brands. Enjoy it, they are well made solid motors good value second hand...
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Dipstick
Even I, arch proponent of the brand, wouldn't call the Lexus IS an executive car.

The GS maybe, the LS certainly. But not the IS.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Chicken Madras
Well, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - nick
Go and test drive a top spec 2.5 or 3 litre Subaru Legacy. Give it some welly and then tell me you prefer the X type. Out of your list, I'd prefer the X type.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Vansboy
I'd have the Jaguar over & above your options, but think I'd try cloth seats - they're MUCH more comfortable - yes I know all about Jags MUST HAVE dead animal skins everywhere (& this time it's not just 'cos I don't eat 'em, either)

You'll get excellent deals from main dealers, just now & as for servicing - try your Ford dealer. All these comparisons with Mondeo, would save a few pennies, this way.

The US market only has 3litre, spec & we've discontinued the under powered 2litre, so you've still a wide selection.

& you can say you've a Jaguar on the drive at home!!!
VB
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - CJay{P}
Having owned most of the cars in your list, my observations are as follows.

Lexus IS200 Sport - lots of gadgets, good handling. Interesting dash. True to the word rifle bolt precesion gear changes - pretty soon the novelty wears off. Not enough torque for a 6 cylinder - forces you to really rev the engine - consumption suffers as a result. Boot is pretty tiny.

Merc C240 Auto Avantgarde - Not enough power from the 2600 cc, V6 engine. It is a heavy car and you feel it. Poor consumption. Very comfortable. After some time you begin to realise where mercedes have cut corners to save money, but everyone says 'very nice car'.

Volvo S60, 2.4T - very nice interior. Didn't enjoy it much, perhaps because of my rear drive bias. Consumption not so bad, considering the peformance.

Jaguar X type, 2.5SE, manual - not as engaging to drive as a rear wheel drive car. You get a lot for the outlay. Leather is standard on SE spec. BUT everyone seems refer to it as an 'OLD mans car'. Since I have a mondeo as well, some switchgear tells you where they came from.

BMW 318iSE ( have owned 3 of them) - best all round package in terms of driver enjoyment and fuel consumption. Huge choice available, so not as pricey as people think.

BMW 330i Sport - In my opinion, best car that I have owned so far. Plenty of power and surprisingly economical.

All the above cars have been a maximum of 4 years old when bought. The most I have paid for a car is £11k.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - as003
A recent Top Gear report on the Jag X-Type Diesel 4WD tested in Sweeden, (by none other than the opinionated Jeremy Clarkson), concluded that the X-Type was an extremely competent car, and did everything well. It did not get stuck once, nor matter how bad, or slippery the snow. It went up-hills, down hills, straight and twisty roads, all with the added touch of the Luxury factor that you mentioned in your original qustion.

The point is, that the Diesel Jag (in Saloon/Est form) is an extremely good/competent car, despite it sharing the same floor plan and some switch gear as the Mondeo, which is not surprising, as Jaguar is owned by Ford. The Jag interior is by far better than any Beemer/Ford/Vauxhall, it is just pure class. The interior of the Rover 75 is very good too! If running costs are an issue, go for the X-Type Diesel, otherwise, the 2.5 petrol. You won't be dissapointed.

£15K will buy you a 1 year old 15K mile Lexus
IS200 Sport.
You buy it and, apart from servicing, you won't see the
garage until you want another new car.

>>
I had one as my last ever company car. It wasnt the most trouble-free car I have had, and tended to drink heavily if driven more than 100% sedately.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - ablandy
I recently got my car after going through the same process as you. For a time i was DEFINITELY going to get an X type. After hearing bad things about reliability (and coming from an alfa), i eventually decided on a Honda accord. For your money you can get a good one, with reasonable mileage and the balance of the warranty.

Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Xileno {P}
Just remember though that one usually only hears of the bad cars, not the good ones.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Flying Red
Just remember though that one usually only hears of the bad
cars, not the good ones.

Absolutely. The reliability issue is a red herring on a car bought at 2 years old to be kept for another four or five years. Any car in that age range will need worn parts replaced.

Jaguar have been rated highly for dealer support and response to niggling faults. If you meet the technicians you find they have a genuine love of the marque and quite often own older XJs themselves.

You've got some very strong reasons for buying an X type so go for it and enjoy it.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - dylan
Absolutely. The reliability issue is a red herring on a
car bought at 2 years old to be kept for another
four or five years. Any car in that age range
will need worn parts replaced.

According to Warranty direct's figures, here is the difference between Honda and Jaguar for the cars they sold warranties on:

Jaguar:
Claims per 100 vehicles: 37.9
Average age (years): 4.39
Average mileage: 45,828
Average repair cost: £451

Honda:
Claims per 100 vehicles: 9.9
Average age (years): 4.76
Average mileage: 45,454
Average repair cost: £325

So for cars of similar age and mileage, on average the jaguar has 4 times as many faults as a Honda, and the cost to repair each fault is higher.

A red herring? Not if you're the one paying for the repairs, I'd say. Or the one being inconvenienced while the repairs are being carried out.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - $till $kint
Ignore the nay-sayers and just buy it. You know you want to.

Anyone recommending a Mondeo, Accord or other repmobile is simply missing the point.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Adam {P}
>>Basically I can't find anything I really don't like about it<<

You've just answered your own question.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Sofa Spud
My take on the X-Type (I haven't driven one) is that it suffers from retro styling that makes it look like a shrunken XJ6. It's supposed to be a prestige car, but to my mind it looks less graceful and stylish than the Ford Mondeo it's based on.

If you like the X-Type's looks, don't take any notice of me!!!

Cheers, SS
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Flying Red
Personally I'd rather take that greater risk of a repair (that might cost me on average £125 more) than drive an Accord. After all if low ownership cost was the priority a Yaris or Jazz would make more sense.

If you want your car to be the motoring equivalent of a washing machine that's fine but I enjoy getting the buzz of driving a car with a bit of character.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - flangeman
Have you considered a online car broker?
Ive just picked up a 2006 model (ie facelifted) Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCI for £16.5k. That comes with 3 yr warranty etc etc, is nicely spec'ed (part cow, climate, power seats, windows etc etc)
And it has more than enough go in it, and it looks nice in performance blue. List price almost £23k.
Failing that I would go with the X.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Aprilia
I sold one back in February. Bought it off a local fleet, cleaned it up a bit and sold it with £1k profit to a local chap who had just retired. It was a 2002 2.5 4WD manual with (IIRC) about 45k on the clock. The new owner hasn't done many miles in it, but he's over the moon with it (mind you, it did replace his 15 year old Vaux Carlton!).

Personally, these are not a car I would go for. Essentially Mondeo underpinnings, but less room and a lot more expensive to run, plus more to go wrong. The 4WD models are pretty much 'packed' with mechanicals and if you need major repairs they will be very expensive. If you check out the factory data you will find a **lot** of TSB's and 'fixes' for these cars. They have had a lot of teething troubles, to say the least. Hopefully cars produced recently will be better. If test driving a 4WD then listen for any transmission whining/moaning as you ease on and off the throttle.

For me these are a nice car if under warranty or someone else is picking up the repair costs......
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - pd
The remarkable thing about the Warranty Direct figures is not that the Honda is more reliable, but that they imply Warranty Direct has actually paid out on something.
;)
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Thommo
Ridiculously cheap at auction. See latest HJ auction report. Decide on spec and get yourself an auction buyer to do the leg work.
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Tiffx19
Anyone know why they need special tyres? I just found this out the other day...Pirellis,which are 205/55/16 J if I remember,only for the X-Type
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - tr7v8
Thats a standard size as my Porker runs em on the front. ZR Goodyear GSD3 are around £ 145 per pair.
Maybe it runs run flats.

Jim
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Tiffx19
Nope, they were'nt run flats,just marked J on the sidewall,looked like standard P600's to me!
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - Blue {P}
Have you considered a online car broker?
Ive just picked up a 2006 model (ie facelifted) Mondeo ST
2.2 TDCI for £16.5k. That comes with 3 yr warranty etc
etc, is nicely spec'ed (part cow, climate, power seats, windows etc
etc)
And it has more than enough go in it, and it
looks nice in performance blue. List price almost £23k.

And that just serves to prove my point about Ford list prices, anyone who pays full list price is being ripped off seriously.

Although I do know of someone who once managed to sell a Rover 75 at full on the road list price. Scary really.

Blue
Talk me out of buying an X-Type... - barchettaman
How old was the buyer Blue?