Nail in tyre, no air loss! - cheddar
As mentioned in another thread I have just spent nearly £200 on two new front tyres, a couple of days latter I am checking the pressures at the local garage and I notice a nail in one of the rears $%&*@?! Get home, pull the nail out, a very narrow nail approx 6 or 7 mm long with a large head, hear a gentle sssh as it comes out, put a bit if spit on it, can see tiny bubbles of air coming out, hope that it keeps enough pressure to get to the tyre centre the next day.

Now the conundrum, according to my pressure gauge it has not lost any pressure in more than 48 hours, perhaps the leak is so minute it will take days or weeks for a drop in pressure to notice, perhaps only the very tiny sharp point of the nail penetrated the tyre carcass.

So what do I do, leave it, have it repaired, cant see that it is going to suddenly worsen, i.e. deflate at high speed.

Any thoughts?
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - nick
I'd keep my fingers crossed and check it ever time I used the car. I can't see it failing dramtically.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - horatio
It won't fail dramatically, I've had similar I put the nail back in, and drove with it like that for a good few thousand miles, it hardly ever needed pumping up no more than normal.

However you might want to get it fixed how much do they charge now-a-days? 10 - 15 quid?
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Dynamic Dave
Any thoughts?

It may well start to leak when the tyre gets warm, say on a long, or motorway journey. It'll probably drop to a certain pressure when the hole closes up, and then maintain that pressure.
It may well start to leak when the tyre gets warm,
say on a long, or motorway journey. It'll probably drop to
a certain pressure when the hole closes up, and then maintain
that pressure.

I did 250 miles yesterday, no drop in pressure.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Happy Blue!
If the hole is not near the shoulder, you can get is fixed for £10 and peace of mind all round.

I've done this loads of times and feel much happier about it, knowing the puncture was sealed.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - L'escargot
I've done this loads of times ......

You must have been very unlucky. I've only had about 4 punctures in 40 years.
--
L\'escargot.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Civic8
>>So what do I do, leave it, have it repaired, cant see that it is going to suddenly worsen, i.e. deflate at high speed.

Is it worth the risk,tyres are your only contact with road.You could also have a word with company that fitted,they may repair free of charge..assumming not low profiles/puncture in wrong place.But would get it sorted..nothing worse than wondering when a tyre is going to fail,knowing full well you have a puncture and it aint fixed
--
Steve
>>If the hole is not near the shoulder, you can get is fixed for £10 and peace of mind all round.>>

Well it is half an inch from the shoulder, perhaps a bit close for a repair, reckon I will monitor the air loss over a week or so.

Regards.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Red Baron
I have experienced a tyre with nail as posted above. Didn't deflate at first. Only deflated when, upon parking, the tyre was at just the right rotation to open the hole just that bit more.

Get the tyre fixed. Although this is never a 100% certainty, the rubber yielding and tearing is a definite event.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - patently
I've had a tyre deflate without warning at (err) 70 in the outside lane of a motorway.

It taught me two things. First, look after tyres and keep them in good condition. Second, do something about young drunken louts lobbing glass bottles around near my drive.

Get it fixed.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Mapmaker
I can only agree with patently. Fix it.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - just a bloke
Get it fixed, your not just messing with your life but other road users as well. MOst places will repair foc

I inagine your insurance company would take a very dim view if you made a claim and they found out you had known all about the puncture.
And here it all is in black and white.

:)JaB
There seems to be a concensus opinion to repair on the basis of safety however there is a counter argumment. The tyre had a very narrow sharp pointed nail in it, it had probaly done no more damage than a large thorn might if one was to run over a fallen twig. However to remove a tyre imposes significant stresses upon it's structure not withstanding the fact that the repair requires a 4 or 5 mm hole to be drilled into the carcus cutting through perhaps one of the steel plys before a 'patch' is pulled through and bonded in place.

I checked the pressure again today, no air loss, I am in two minds.

Nail in tyre, no air loss! - R75
The tyre
had a very narrow sharp pointed nail in it, it had
probaly done no more damage than a large thorn might if
one was to run over a fallen twig.

WOW, Can I borrow your glasses, clearley you can see through tyre walls with them. Unfortunatly you can not see what damage has been done unless the tyre is removed, It way well have popped some of the wire through to the inside of the tyre and weakend it. For piece of mind I would get it checked and repaired.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - BazzaBear {P}
Have to agree with the last three. Couldn't imagine continuing to drive on a tyre that I KNOW has a puncture. Who knows what might prompt it to let go?
Well I have absolutely no air loss, in fact the other rear has lost a pound or two over a week due to a slight leak around the valve, perhaps I was mistaken when I thought I heard a gentle sssh as the nail came out.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Fullchat
Small hole in tyre allows damp through to cords, cords rust and deteriorate over period of time. Rubber then separates from cords and BANG!
Seen it happen with fatal consequences. Nuff said!
It aint worth the risk. The minimum you should do is have it repaired and the hole re-sealed. Still carries an element of risk.

Fullchat
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Blue {P}
I don't think I would dare mess around with mine, I like knowing that if I want to I can throw it into a corner mercilessly without (too much) fear of a tyre blowing out. Of course it's a second hand car and as such as had second hand tyres so I suppose it's not possible to be certain...

Blue
Once you have done 50 iles on a new tyre there is no knowing what you might have run over and what damage has been done unless you get a puncture.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Vin {P}
Cheddar,

It's quite clear that you have made your mind up not to get the tyre repaired, as you are arguing counter to anyone who suggests repair.

This seems odd, as it won't cost you anything bar five minutes of your time to ask a tyre place if a fix in that spot is possible. If they say "no", you can leave and run the risk exactly as you are now. If they say "yes", then for a tenner you can get real peace of mind.

You might want to look inwards and see what it is in your mind that is stopping you wanting to resolve this.

V
Cheddar,

<< ...a very narrow nail approx 6 or 7 mm long with a large head...

What you described sounds more like a drawing pin than a nail.

Tread depth when a tyre is new is usually about 8mm, so the tread depth of a used tyre will on average be about 5 mm. On this basis it's POSSIBLE that the nail MAY not have penetrated through the outer layer of rubber. However, because it's a safety issue I will not go any further.

--
L\'escargot.
It's quite clear that you have made your mind up not
to get the tyre repaired, as you are arguing counter to
anyone who suggests repair.

Not true, I am not sure that repair is either 1/ necessary or 2/ wise.

1/ There is no appareent damage or air loss.

2/ Taking a tyre off and on a rim does not do it much good, nor does drilling a 5mm hole in it through the metal plys and plugging it.

This seems odd, as it won't cost you anything bar five
minutes of your time to ask a tyre place if a
fix in that spot is possible. If they say "no",
you can leave and run the risk exactly as you are
now. If they say "yes", then for a tenner you
can get real peace of mind.

Perhaps, for peace of mind I will ask if a repair is necessary.

You might want to look inwards and see what it is
in your mind that is stopping you wanting to resolve this.

That is a bit heavy for a motoring forum! I repeat I am not sure that repair is either necessary or wise. Therefore I am not even sure that I need a tyre fitter yet alone a psychoanalyst (though a spell checker might help)!
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Hugo {P}
Chedder

About an hour ago I had one of the Land Rover tyres repaired. It too had had a nail in it. Chris, the local garage owner, took the wheel off the vehicle, deflated the tyre, removed the valve and inserted some repair compound, refitted the valve, re inflated said tyre and refitted it to vehicle all whilst I waited all for a fiver!

He mentioned that he may not be able to carry out a normal repair because of the type of damage.

FWIW - get it done you tight wad!

H
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - $till $kint
Nah, leave it. Will be one less Mondeo TDCi on the roads when the inevitable happens.

[/tic]
Leaving $$'s crass ignorance to one side can we put this into perspective.

I had a tiny incy wincy nail in my tyre, it clearly had not been there long, I carefully pulled it out and thought I heard a sssh, I must have been mistaken because there is not air loss in over 10 days now.

Following your advice I will, in turn, ask my friendly tyre centre's advise however my current opinion is as follows:

1/ Stress to the tyre in removing it/refitting and the process of drilling and plugging the tyre puts it in a more hazardous condition than leaving it well alone.

2/ The insertion of sealer is not applicable because there is no leak to seal.

3/ Sealer is potentially dangerous in it's own right because it allows a damaged tyre to remain inflated, rather than deflate in a controlled way, thus makiung a blow-out more likely.

4/ Normal day to day driving exposes the tyres to various man made and natural objects that do cause minor damage to tyres that the driver is completely ignorant of.

Regards.

PS: Yes I can afford 10 or 15 quid to have it repaired if required. In fact if I am given such advice I might prefer to replace it, after all as you guys say, better to be safe than sorry. ;-)
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Smarttrams
Why dont you get some tyreseal put into your tyres as you will find that the seal will enhance the life of your tyre, and you will not have to check the pressure each and every day. Just in case there is a leak or damaged tyre. I think you can get it done at £10-per wheel. Dont just have two done, have all four done, but make sure that all the wheels have been balanced
Why dont you get some tyreseal put into your tyres
as you will find that the seal will enhance the life
of your tyre, and you will not have to check the
pressure each and every day. Just in case there is a
leak or damaged tyre. I think you can get it done
at £10-per wheel. Dont just have two done, have all four
done, but make sure that all the wheels have been balanced

As I said before above:

"3/ Sealer is potentially dangerous in it's own right because it allows a damaged tyre to remain inflated, rather than deflate in a controlled way, thus makiung a blow-out more likely."
SNIP

Insult removed. DD.
I must say that to deny you have argued against everyone who has said "play safe" is a little disingenuous. You clearly want to take the risk. Let's hope nothing goes wrong. If it does, let's hope it's just you who has an accident.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - smokie
As all sides of the discussion have now been adequately covered, and insults have started flying, there can't really be much more to say, so I've locked the thread.

smokie, BR Moderator
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - smokie
Cheddar has further information to add to this thread so I have unlocked it. Some of the earlier posts have been edited.

There's no need to repeat the earlier statements concerning any risks you consider he may be taking as we've already covered that.

Thanks

smokie, BR Moderator
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - rhino
I had a very small thin nail removed from the rear tyre on my motorcycle in France a month ago. The fitter who did it instantly checked for loss of air; absolutely nothing came out.

I've since done another 700 miles with no loss of air whatsover. I thought I was looking at being £150 lighter for a new tyre, so for the first time ever I'd say it's a right result. I'm also perfectly happy I've not got much to worry about until the tyre needs replacement on wear grounds alone.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - wemyss
Reading this thread reminds me that exactly the same happened with the fron tyre on my wifes car. Pulled a nail out and put a bit of spit on the tiny hole and it bubbled for a second or two.
Marked the area and checked again a day or two later and the pressure was still the same and with no leak. Forgot about and now a couple of years and several thousands of miles it still keeps its pressure.
Thanks Smokie.
I must say that to deny you have argued against everyone
who has said "play safe" is a little disingenuous. You
clearly want to take the risk. Let's hope nothing goes
wrong. If it does, let's hope it's just you who
has an accident.

As I said before above:

" Yes I can afford 10 or 15 quid to have it repaired if required. In fact if I am given such advice I might prefer to replace it, after all as you guys say, better to be safe than sorry."
OK, rather like Rhino and Alvin above the advice I have been given is along the lines of "there is no air coming out and you cannot even see a hole so why worry".

Of course I will continue to check the tyre pressure regularly.
Of course I will continue to check the tyre pressure regularly.

That is exactly what I would do. There must be thousands of cars that have, or have had, a short small-diameter piece of metal stuck in a tyre. As I said (in different words) earlier your "nail" may have been shorter than the thickness of the outer layer of rubber. In addition it maybe didn't even go in at right-angles to the tread surface.
--
L\'escargot.
I quote: "Cheddar has further information to add to this thread so I have unlocked it."

Cheddar adds further information:

>As I said before above:
>
>" Yes I can afford 10 or 15 quid to have it repaired if required. >In fact if I am given such advice I might prefer to replace it, >after all as you guys say, better to be safe than sorry."

Wow, thanks for the extra information!
Wow, thanks for the extra information!

That was not the extra information, instead it was a point made earlier in the thread that you, for one. chose to ignore. Once again you have either misunderstood or miscontrued a point that has been made quite clearly!
I'm a little lost here. Just what is the new info? Has it been editted in to an existing post or is it in a new one? I can't see anything new here except one of my comments having been removed (although the retort that led to it remains. How even handed).

I'm a little lost here. Just what is the new
info? Has it been editted in to an existing post
or is it in a new one? I can't see
anything new here except one of my comments having been removed

Post today at 07:09.

>>(although the retort that led to it remains. How even handed).

Yes, I agree, the fact that it was a retort makes it very even handed.
Thanks for the pointer.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - No FM2R
>>So what do I do, leave it, have it repaired....

Dunno why you really bothered asking if you only wanted opinions that agreed with the point of view you'd already decided on.

I am somewhat at a loss as to why its worth considering the risk.

Sure, maybe you're right in which case you'll have saved a 100 quid or whatever. BFHD. On the other hand, if you're wrong you might end up wrapped around something, which is your problem, but that "something" might be somebody else.

Of course, you do realise that if you have an accident, which is caused by that tyre blowing out, your insurer is entitled to refuse any of your own losses and can recover any other payments from you ? And I cannot imagine what the law might be able to do if someone is actually hurt.

.......So you might want to practice the look of dumb innocence and a few considered excuses, just in case - and rely on them not finding out.
Dunno why you really bothered asking if you only wanted opinions that agreed with the point of view you'd already decided on.

Someone else not reading the thread properly, I said ...

"Following your advice I will, in turn, ask my friendly tyre centre's advise ... " and " Yes I can afford 10 or 15 quid to have it repaired if required. In fact if I am given such advice I might prefer to replace it, after all as you guys say, better to be safe than sorry. "

... and I still get comments like this!!!!!!

I am somewhat at a loss as to why its worth
considering the risk.
Sure, maybe you're right in which case you'll have saved a
100 quid or whatever. BFHD. On the other hand, if you're
wrong you might end up wrapped around something, which is your
problem, but that "something" might be somebody else.
Of course, you do realise that if you have an accident,
which is caused by that tyre blowing out, your insurer is
entitled to refuse any of your own losses and can recover
any other payments from you ? And I cannot imagine what
the law might be able to do if someone is actually
hurt.
.......So you might want to practice the look of dumb innocence
and a few considered excuses, just in case - and rely
on them not finding out.
Oh, and yes I took on board the comments posted here, sought advice and once again for good measure the advice I have been given is along the lines of "there is no air coming out and you cannot even see a hole so why worry".

Regards.
>>... and I still get comments like this!!!!!!

Because you are behaving as a fool. And whilst I admire consistency, you are not simply taking a risk upon yourself., you are involving other road users.
Because you are behaving as a fool. >>

Assuming you have now actually read through the thread perhaps you could try to justify that comment? Yes, I have my own opinions however I have taken the advice given to me both by the contributors here and by a "professional". The BR contributors advise was to get the opinion of a professional, the professionals advice is that I have nothing to worry about.

Therefore shall I spend £100 for no reason? Would you?
Obviously you have not read the thread properly, but please don't apologise, I've repeated the comment here for you.

"Of course, you do realise that if you have an accident, which is caused by that tyre blowing out, your insurer is entitled to refuse any of your own losses and can recover any other payments from you ? And I cannot imagine what the law might be able to do if someone is actually hurt."

I can only hope that you will be able to wave the advice from your "professional" as a defense.

Anyway, this is boring. Do what you will.
"Of course, you do realise that if you have an accident,
which is caused by that tyre blowing out, your insurer is
entitled to refuse any of your own losses and can recover
any other payments from you ? And I cannot imagine what
the law might be able to do if someone is actually
hurt."

That really, truly is ever so good advice, if only it were at all applicable to the case in point.

A part worn tyre will have hundreds if not thousands of tiny nicks, cuts, pin pricks etc, how can the event that caused any single one of them be linked to a tyre failure, 100's or 1000's of miles and perhaps many months later? It can't.

Driving around with, for instance, a blister in a side wall that subsequently fails is however a different matter because it can be proven that the tyre was in a visibly unroadworthy state prior to the accident occuring.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Nsar
You've got a punctured tyre. It's an essential part of the safety equipment of your car. Perhaps you're married, kids maybe; why don't you ask them what they would rather you do about it than a bunch of strangers?
It is amazing how many people do not read a thread properly before posting.

I have not got a punctured tyre.

Would you spend £100 for no reason?

Perhaps I should throw a couple of £50's out of the window, it would cost the same though would not waste as much time!
"Get home, pull the nail out, a very narrow nail approx 6 or 7 mm long with a large head, hear a gentle sssh as it comes out, put a bit if spit on it, can see tiny bubbles of air coming out"

Where's the air coming from if it's not punctured?
Where's the air coming from if it's not punctured?

Posted on 18th October:

"I had a tiny incy wincy nail in my tyre, it clearly had not been there long, I carefully pulled it out and thought I heard a sssh, I must have been mistaken because there is no air loss in over 10 days now."

You've got a punctured tyre.

We don't know that. Cheddar said (but not in these exact words) that he had a tyre which has had a nail embedded in it. There has been no mention that the nail penetrated right through the carcase.
--
L\'escargot.
>>if only it were at all applicable to the case in point.

I think we proved some time ago that your understanding of liability, negligence and insurance wasn't all that hot so lets not worry about that side of things unduly.

It is of course possible that they [the insurer] will not know. It is quite likely they would not be able to prove. But if that tyre lets go due to that fault, then you'll know.

And there is a difference between driving around with a faulty tyre and KNOWINGLY driving around with a faulty tyre.

Still, its obviously all too much for you. I have hope since I seem to recall that you master the negligence/liability principles once the smoke had died down, so I'm optimistic that you'll get there with this one as well.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - BazzaBear {P}
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the re-opening of this thread went VERY well. lol.
Amen to that Bazza, this me saying over and out!
I think we proved some time ago that your understanding of
liability, negligence and insurance wasn't all that hot so lets not worry about that side of things unduly.

Was that when we proved that you are a patronising pompous idiot who does not know a rhetorical question when he see one?
And there is a difference between driving around with a faulty
tyre and KNOWINGLY driving around with a faulty tyre.

I agree, and that again would be a relevant point if I actually had a faulty tyre!
Still, its obviously all too much for you. I have hope
since I seem to recall that you master the negligence/liability principles >>

I defer completely to your superior denigration skills.
once the smoke had died down, so I'm optimistic that you'll
get there with this one as well.

Reckon I might need to enrol in the Mark RLBS school of arrogance for that one.
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the re-opening
of this thread went VERY well. lol.

I tend to agree, I must say.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - grn
Is this a bad time to mention I had a blow out today? ;-)

Oh yes, in the pouring rain and howling gales of the M5 (well maybe not a gale exactly)....

Driving along quite happily, I became aware of a certain "lumpiness" to the drive - immediate thoughts of poor road surface then the lumpiness increases into some fairly heafty lumpiness, hmmmm maybe not the road then eh, and decide to pull-in on the extremely wet hard-shoulder alongside an equally wet lane one plus all that spray. Ugh. Yes, the off-side rear was as flat as the proverbial. Anyway, I decided it was too dodgy to wheel change in the dark of the morning with spectatcularly large trucks passing amzingly too close to that solid white line - so took the opportunity to call out the assist people who duly changed said wheel with their car lit up like a xmas tree behind me and I keeping a lookout for any strays heading our way.

So what did I notice in this unwanted episode that concerns me (apart from the it being the second blow-out in under 4 months)...

1. Just how close lame traffic drives to the hardshoulder when people are sat there (and I was part way onto the grass to maximise the distance from lane 1 traffic).
2. How invisible you are without a hi-vis type tabbard.
3. How vulnerable you feel when limited to 50mph on a space-saver tyre (I know, I know I hate them too)...you are literally the slowest thing on the m-way and the speed with which people bear down on you in lane 1 has to be experienced to be believed.
4. Tyre pressure-loss sensors seem like a darn good idea next time. As the chap at the tyre place said, the first time you really know it has happened, is when virtually all the air has left the tyre and it starts to break-up. Sure enough, the stench of the rubber was memorable, as was the sight of the cords inside the tyre, exposed and not far away from the tyre wall parting company with rest of it. It all happens very quickly on the m-way.

Sorry to go on :-( Hope some are still awake :-)

Safe motoring all.
Safe motoring all.

I second that, thanks for sharing the experience.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Altea Ego
>> I don't know about anyone else, but I think the
re-opening
>> of this thread went VERY well. lol.

I tend to agree, I must say.

Stop it, I have bad ribs, I musn't laff.....
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Adam {P}
i was going to say something but it's too damned funny.

Thread saved before it gets deleted!

(I don't have bad ribs and it still hurts!)
>>Was that when we proved that you are a patronising pompous idiot

No, that was the one before.
>>Was that when we proved that you are a patronising pompous
idiot
No, that was the one before.

Yes, I can imagine it has been proven more than once ;-)
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Adam {P}
::chucks another piece of popcorn in mouth::
I'd leave it. Some wheels stay up at the same pressure seemingly for ever, some drop and need a few pumps of the foot pump every week.

And we know no FM2R has a fairly lax attitude to car maintenance...
Mark RLBS wrote on 3rd May 2004

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21988&...f

"I've got a very slow puncture in one tyre. However, since that really means changing all four tyres (4x4) I've been living with it to get a bit more wear out of all the tyres."

And on 12 December 2002 he wrote

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=91...2

"I check the tyre pressures when one of them looks flat or the car wanders."

Yeah, that RLBS guy needs to be sorted out.
Thanks Mapmaker, this from someone who said earlier today:

"... whilst I admire consistency ..."

Doh!
"fairly lax attitude"

Fairly Lax ?? I am outraged ! I would never pay that much attention to it.
Nail in tyre, no air loss! - Dynamic Dave
Thread locked again.

Cheddar asked if it could be re-opened to "continue the thread and comment on the tyre centre's opinion etc"

He has commented on their opinion (although like several others, I initially missed the comment) and just like UK Gold, loads of repeats started appearing, along with the insults again - which ironically last time the complainer of those insults has this time resorted to throwing them around himself. They're not being deleted. Enough moderating time has already been wasted on this thread. Far easier just to lock it and move on.

DD. BR Moderator.