Focus boot load capacity - L'escargot
How many 25 kg bags of cement can I transport in the boot of my hatchback Focus? It will be a short journey on 30 mph roads so I'm not concerned about any detrimental effect on the car's handling. What I'm concerned about is avoiding damage to the car. The handbook doesn't seem to cover this topic.
--
L\'escargot.

Top Reply

Focus boot load capacity - Big Bad Dave
A full tank is probably 60kg so do it on an empty tank.

I watched my enormous mother-in-law (think Hattie Jakes) and her even fatter sister squeeze into the back of a Nissan Micra driven by their equally fat friend and my gorgeous wife in the passenger seat. I would guess in excess of 400kg of lard trundling around Epping Forest. And the picnic hamper. I?ve never seen a car look so sorry for itself, it seemed to be mouthing "help" as they drove off, but it didn?t suffer any long term damage.

All Replies

Focus boot load capacity - smoke
Just as a random calculation, if we assume that a fully loaded car is designed to take 3 adults in the back followed by 3-4 suitcases in the boot.
I am assuming that a man is 65 kg and three men can sit in the back of the focus then thats 195kg, then thats approximately 8 bags. Then assume that a boot full of luggage is about 4 moderately heavy suitcases worth i.e. 100 kg, then i would say that around 12-15 bags would be the max number of bags i would put in with the seats down with no massively detrimental effect.
This is just a guestimate, but was same sort of calculation i used when transporting tiles in the back of my Ka.
Focus boot load capacity - Big Bad Dave
A full tank is probably 60kg so do it on an empty tank.

I watched my enormous mother-in-law (think Hattie Jakes) and her even fatter sister squeeze into the back of a Nissan Micra driven by their equally fat friend and my gorgeous wife in the passenger seat. I would guess in excess of 400kg of lard trundling around Epping Forest. And the picnic hamper. I?ve never seen a car look so sorry for itself, it seemed to be mouthing "help" as they drove off, but it didn?t suffer any long term damage.
Focus boot load capacity - cheddar
Smoke is on the right track though it is not only overall weight that needs to be considered it is also localised loading and the ability to secure the load so it does not cause dameg in the event of an emergency stop etc. I would evenly spread a max of 8 bags (200k or approx 440lb / four hundred-weight) and do a few trips if required.
Focus boot load capacity - Xileno {P}
You can also put a bag or two on the front seat, if you put an old sheet on first.
Focus boot load capacity - tunacat
Do I put the sheet on top of my coat, or underneath it?
Focus boot load capacity - cheddar
Do I put the sheet on top of my coat>>

Spooky!
Focus boot load capacity - Adam {P}
You know what you want Snaily...

....yep. Exactly.
Focus boot load capacity - NowWheels
You know what you want Snaily...
....yep. Exactly.

An estate car, which will have beefed-up rear springs.
Focus boot load capacity - local yokel
Used to put 10 x 25-30 kg bags in the Uno, the Cavalier and now the Tipo no probs.

Evenly spread, back seats down. Airlines reckon on an average passenger weighing 80kg, and raise that by 5kg in the USA, and 10 kg in Fiji!
Thanks guys. I was thinking that more than 2 (i.e. 50 kg) would bend the boot floor. Seems like I was wrong ~ as usual!
--
L\'escargot.
A saloon? Wash your mouth out Adamski.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus boot load capacity - P E
A quick look on the website at the basic version says that the net weight is 1229kg and gross vehicle mass is 1690kg. Suggests a fair size margin for boot load.

It's not every day I find out I weigh the same as a typical Fijian airline passenger.