G.P.S. Signal Quality - Dude - {P}
With six points on the licence, I thought it high time that I bought a speed camera detector, but am finding that the GPS signal is badly affected by fog & low cloud cover to the extent that the unit(Micro Road Pilot) does not function at all in these adverse weather conditions.

Can anybody confirm if this is normal or do I need to complain to the supplier.????
G.P.S. Signal Quality - Adam {P}
Yo Dude - the general contributions and links in this thread may be of some use to you;

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35072&...f
G.P.S. Signal Quality - Altea Ego
Dude,

GPS does not like the inside of cars, and needs to see a panorama of sky. 360 degrees of sky if possible. Yes rain, clouds will degrade signal slightly, and adding to the poor car location may well knock it below threshold. Not as bad as cities or trees tho.

carefull location of my re radiating antenna means i get 9 sats most times all over the signal threshold most of the time.
G.P.S. Signal Quality - Steve Pearce
GPS signal is effectively blocked by heat reflecting windscreens, if you have one you need to relocate the aerial of the unit. On my windscreen there is a area behind the mirror that allows the signal through.
G.P.S. Signal Quality - Dude - {P}
R.F. - Is there any significance in the spec of your re radiating antenna, which would give improved performance and where did you find the optimum location.??

The antenna of my Micro Road Pilot is approx 35 mm square & although it was hard wired by their local agent, it has been sited at the bottom of the screen close to the A pillar. I am wondering if this is impeding signal quality, as I never seem to pick up more than 5 satellites max.
G.P.S. Signal Quality - Altea Ego
The reradiating antenna is a mag mount plastic blob, pops on the roof and terminates in a small "stick" the size of your finger you place near your device.

Mine is actually mounted inside the rear window at the bottom, where given the acute slope of the rear window provides a near 360 degree view of the sky. The "stick" is the placed near my blue tooth GPS antenna.
G.P.S. Signal Quality - rtj70
Don't you mean safety camera... anyway.

What car do you drive? It's not a Renault is it with heat reflective windscreen. if not then GPS receiver sites on dash should be fine.

I use a Navman BT GPS receiver for sat nav with TomTom 5 in a Mondeo with heated screen. No problems and usually get 7 sats.