Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Marconi
I am told it is technically possible to incorporate circuitry into cars that will inhibit the use of mobile phones inside a car that has the ignition switched on.

Now I know that this will prevent their use by a passenger. But isn?t this a small price to pay to stop the P****S who use their cars as a mobile office at 90mph in the outside lane of the motorway.

IMHO mobile phone use whilst driving is indefensible and should be prevented by whatever means are available ? including severe penalties for anyone caught.

It should become as socially unacceptable as drunken driving.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Brian
We have been through this on here fairly recently.
However, why pick on mobile phones, when smoking, reading the paper, map-reading, shaving, groping the passenger, etc. are all as bad.
They all come under the offence of not having proper control of the vehicle.
And of the ones using a phone, those in heavy London traffic, driving with one hand two feet from the car in front and six inches from the one alongside scare me more than someone on a motorway, much less room for error!
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Pat
What worries me is the people who drive withe the phone in their right hand - what do they do when they need to change gear or indicate?

Most don't bother indicating, I know, that's how you spot them. The word that springs to mind is 'slobs'.

A bit like those drivers who don't wear seat belts, though these drivers are less of a worry beacause they will probably be killed in an accident. Perhaps they think they're hard!!!
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Andrew T
Pat - you must have a LHD car if you change gear right-handed. And Brian - we pick on mobile phones because you can't electronically stop people lighting up, except by disabling the cigar-lighter.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Pat
Andrew T,

No, they hold the 'phone in the right hand and (hopefully) the steering wheel in the left, so what happens when they need to change gear or indicate in a 'normal' car with their left hand? Watch them coming over a junction and tell me they're in control!
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - THe Growler
Concentrate with a hot pipe in your lap.....? That's true phlegm.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Andy
I was recently almost sideswiped by a woman driver who was exiting a supermarket 'entry only' road whilst holding a salad butty in one hand and a phone in the other. The mind boggles.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - ladas are slow
the two classic things that some of my friends do is - look down to change the radio, and the other thing is use both hands to put the seatbelt on (the latter being what my father does).

something that i think is really stupid, is when you see taxi drivers who have removed the headrest on the seat, the way that taxi drivers drive, they going to break they necks ( but i suppose it would only effect the idiot who has removed the headrest)
Make that 6" from the car in front and 3" from those on either side, and that's Manila, cellphones 'n all.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - The Real Bogush
"What worries me is the people who drive withe the phone in their right hand - what do they do when they need to change gear or indicate?"

That's easy.

As seen by a woman, repeatedly, whilst driving an MPV full of kids (perhaps not her own?): you just let go of the steering wheel and swap the phone from hand to hand as you juggle with the minor controls (gear-lever, steering wheel).

You can, of course, ignore most of the accessories, such as the indicators and handbrake, but not the make-up mirror.

And, no, I'm not sexist. You never get blokes doing the make-up mirror thing:-)

Then again: with the younger male mobile phone users..............
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - markymarkn
Marconi

Are you the guy I work for?

Since your getting rid of another 4000 people, can I have my own desk please?

:-)

Mark

(sos for off topic)
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Alwyn
Saw an undertaker yesterday negotiating a dangerous crossroads with one hand steering and the other holding a phone to his lug. Coffin in the back!

Prophetic?
At least you couldn't say he was endangering the life of his passenger......
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - oldepharte
Thank goodness we're all perfect. Ey chaps?OP
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Dave
If you think that using a mobile while driving is difficult, try smoking a fag while having a chat on your mobile while you are driving!
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - ROBIN
If you cant drive at 120 mph on a motorway with one hand on the wheel in total safety then you need to get your car fixed or driving lessons.
When you next cruise a motorway at 70 look at your hands,do they move?
No? thought not.
If you can drive at 30 mph in a town with only one hand in any sort of safety you must be very skilful indeed.
Why O why are not cars compulsorily fitted with a proper no hands kit with speaker and mike?
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - Tomo
The real problem is not THINKING, whatever you are doing in the car; I used to manage, with the top down, lighting my pipe, but I was always conscious that the priority was driving - even if the pipe had to be dropped.......
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - MPA
I saw a neat idea when I was in Japan a few weeks ago. Some mobile phones have a button with a car icon on it. If you press the button in response to a call the caller is told that you can't answer because you are driving.... trouble is they do this in Japanese and the phones aren't compatible with the UK system.

I got into a major row with a moron colleague just the other day who wrote to juts about half the company that it was "irresponsible" and "bad business" for people like me to turn thier mobile phones off while we are driving.... ho hum.
Re: Inhibiting Mobile Phones - markymarkn
***patents in the post***

I've had an idea - why not make the stereo the phone as well?

The pop off front when ur not in the car and its your mobile phone - put it in the stereo and its a hands free car kit and stereo all in one.

Eliminates problem of
-on phone while drivin
-havin to carry phone and stereo
-forking out for a seperate hands free kit
-voice would come through stereo speakers

im gonna sell the idea to sony and make millions. If anyone steals it off me ill train to be a traffic cop instead and work in the speed limit enforcement department.

Mark.