what car? - georgem
i have a budget of around 9k to buy a second hand car. i am currently driving a peugeot 406 (R reg) and love the ride comfort. I would like to stretch this money to consider a premuim model possibly volvo s60 (D5) audi A4 (tdi) or a jag X type (2.0 petrol.

Reliability and quiteness are the most important. what do you think?
what car? - AngryJonny
From what I understand, tyre choice is at least as much an influence on quietness as car choice. Spend 8.5k and have a set of new Michelins put on.

9k brings you (just) into new-shape C Class territory, if you fancy a Merc. No experience of the cars you've mentioned but the X-type is effectively a Mondeo in a different dress so even that should be reliable in comparison to Jags of the past.

(There's a running joke/tendency of this forum for someone to sing the praises of the Mondeo TDCi in answer to whatever requirements someone may have. You're prime fodder for that so be prepared and don't give in.)
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
what car? - madf
You might find a 1.9TDI Audi engine a bit coarse and rough at low speeds in town. (especially if your 406 is diesel)
A 3 series BMW?

madf
what car? - Happy Blue!
Ride comfort will be lacking in any of these cars with the sport suspension and in the Audi the time probably. The Merc C class has a better ride.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?