Car purchase scammers - Orson {P}
Dear all,

As a warning to any of you who might be thinking of selling a car, and for general interest, I reproduce one of many emails I have received from "prospective purchasers" of my car.
Do please note the inadequate syntax, language and spelling.

O

GOODDAY,
I dennis jones I saw your advert on net and i like to
know if
avaialble for sale.if available for sale please do
mail me back with
the
following enquiries:
are you the first owner?
last price?
present condition?
pics?
where are you based?
and the mode of
payment certisfied cheque and Your
response will be highly appreciated
regards

--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Car purchase scammers - Armitage Shanks {p}
How have these people got your e mail address, or did you include it in an advert? I have been getting unsolicited messages like this on e bay too; people saying that they have noted my interest in buying tickets for US sporting events. I have never expressed any such interest nor have I ever bought or sold tickets on e bay. There are a lot of scams out there!
Car purchase scammers - smokie
...and seeing as eBay is mentioned, don't fall for the one that's continually going round about them disabling your account if you don't update your details.

That's a scam, they get your account details and away they go!
Car purchase scammers - local yokel
And here's a draft I received from one in payment for a £425 Uno! he's still expecting the change - I've been giving him the run around for weeks. www.tinyurl.com/8adjk

Yesterday he was so gagging for it he sent one of his runners to an address in Leyton, E10, to collect the cash. Told him to ask for Robert Peel at 215 Leyton High Road. You've guessed it - it's a Police Station, and by all accounts, he went in and asked!
Car purchase scammers - Stuartli
These scams are well-known, the overwhelming majority immediately recognise them for what they are and delete them pronto.

However, there must be some victims of these (mainly African based) scams, otherwise they wouldn't keep trying.

Others include the offers of wonderful jobs at equally wonderful salaries - all that is required are your bank account details so your salary can be paid in....:-)

Are you aware that I am the Finance Director/CEO/Managing Director of a string of European companies, earning many, many thousands of pounds a year, never had to apply for any of these positions and taken on for all of them without even facing one interview?

Ah, the wonder of the Internet.

Such low life really ought to have the punishment they deserve meted out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car purchase scammers - Roly93
I had several of these Scam-mails in pigeon-English from various nutters recently.
What astonishes me is that I was selling a £13,000 car, and it was hard to believe that they could believe that anyone could fall for these scams !

A couple of the ones I got were based around the scenario, that they sent me a money-order for £30,000, I take the price of the car and the shipping costs out of this sum and return the rest of the money, and allow some shipper to come and collect the car to be shipped to wherever. However this scam relies on the fact that you dont wait for the money order to completely clear before you ship the car. Who in their right mind would do this ?????

Needless to say that once I sent a mail saying that I would not release the car until I had proven cleared funds in my bank account, I heard no more !
Car purchase scammers - local yokel
They don't bother to ship the car, in my experience. Once they've got their cash it's job done, and move on to the next mug!

Another target for the scammers are people with homes to rent in Farnce/Spain, often advertised on the web. They offer to take it for six months, send the chq for three time the amount needed etc.
Car purchase scammers - Altea Ego
Yes the scam is to get cash money from a bogus money order / draft / what ever ( in legal terms its called a False Instrument )

They are using you and your car to get the money, only later do you find out the false instrument wont pay up.
Car purchase scammers - Orson {P}
They got my email from an advert on the Jag Enthusiasts website - it doesn't display the address, but has a button marked "respond to this ad" and then the site forwards you the message.

Not quite so much of an out and out scam, but having put an ad in Autotrader, I had about a thousand phone calls from some outfit offering to match me up with potential buyers, for a mere £80. What concerned me was that they had lts of outgoing phone numbers, but no centralised data system, so when I told the first one to go away, that didn't stop all the other calls. In the end, I just stopped answering any call with an 0208 number...

O

PS - the Jag is still for sale, and much better and cheaper than the XJR offered by another contributor!!!
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Car purchase scammers - Vin {P}
If you're interested, here's how I got one of them to stop emailing me:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29362&...f

V
Car purchase scammers - Stuartli
>>some outfit offering to match me up with potential buyers, for a mere £80. >>

This is a scam that has been going on for years. It's been known for them to make a recording of the call and then edit it to make it sound as though you agreed to them putting your vehicle on their books.

IIRC the AA or the RAC did a campaign at one time to have such practices outlawed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
They got my email from an advert on the Jag Enthusiasts
website - it doesn't display the address, but has a button
marked "respond to this ad" and then the site forwards you
the message.
Not quite so much of an out and out scam, but
having put an ad in Autotrader, I had about a thousand
phone calls from some outfit offering to match me up with
potential buyers, for a mere £80. What concerned me was that
they had lts of outgoing phone numbers, but no centralised data
system, so when I told the first one to go away,
that didn't stop all the other calls. In the end, I
just stopped answering any call with an 0208 number...

I agree this is a nightmare with any car ad you place in the Autotrader (through no fault of Autotrader).
I got so sick of these car-match people in the end I just started telling to pxxx of and stop bothering me !
The ultra-annoying thing is that they open the conevrsation is carefully scripted so that the first few seconds leads you to believe you have a real buyer on the line.
Car purchase scammers - smokie
Watchdog did something a few weeks back on one of the companies.

www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/transport/transport...l
Car purchase scammers - Vin {P}
"I would not release the car until I had proven cleared funds in my bank account"

And this is where people get caught. Pop the draft into your account and it will probably clear OK. You'll see the funds in your account. Then, a few weeks later, when the postal system gets the cheque to Timbuktu and it is highlighted that the draft is stolen, the bank will take the money back out of your account.

In summary, in the case of bankers drafts, "cleared" doesn't always mean "cleared".

V
Car purchase scammers - kershaw39
I've also had loads of calls from car matching scammers..........just pay £80 and ........ loads of buyers

Has any body heard of any one actually paying these scammers and getting a sale ....... as they must have really big phone bills to pay each month........

I'm now following one posters advice from yeasterday and using the calls to vent some fustration ....... yeah ill just get him??? 10 mins later they seem to have rung off!
Car purchase scammers - AngryJonny
From what I understand no-one ever registers with them as a buyer. How many times have you gone to an agency and waited for the "right" Mondeo to come along? Just look in Autotrader - there are thousands of them. No buyer needs the service.

So... what they do is register you as a seller, then assume that if you're selling you're looking to replace and you're therefore a buyer. So they then bombard you with details of other people's cars just like they bombarded other people with details of yours.

It's not exactly a scam, but they don't have any buyers lined up for your car, and if you do sign up then you become one of their "buyers" as well. It must be making money due to the number of people suddenly doing it.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
"I would not release the car until I had proven cleared
funds in my bank account"
And this is where people get caught. Pop the draft
into your account and it will probably clear OK. You'll
see the funds in your account. Then, a few weeks
later, when the postal system gets the cheque to Timbuktu and
it is highlighted that the draft is stolen, the bank will
take the money back out of your account.
In summary, in the case of bankers drafts, "cleared" doesn't always
mean "cleared".

This is an interesting scenario, as I always thought that if you asked the bank the question "can I draw against these funds" and they say yes, I assumed you were okay. I agree that when looking at ones account via cash machine or online, you can see funds which do seem cleared, but I always thought that if the bank confirms clearance of funds this was okay ?
Car purchase scammers - tack
It is a fact that this particular scam, known as "criminal cash back" fraud emanates from Nigeria.

There are scores, if not hundreds, of lower echelon Nigerian criminals sitting in a room somewhere making out wholly counterfeit cheques, or making out stolen and washed cheques to Mr A.Mug.

These cheques are then bundled up by the thousand, or scores of thousands and sent by air courier into Heathrow/Gatwick etc. They are then further couriered to council flats in Peckham, Barking and Dagenham where further teams of lower echelon Nigerian criminals are cramming the cheques into individual envelopes and stamped with a UK stamp for sending to Mr A.Mug.

It is a very profitable industry and will continue to be because there are so many niaive (greedy?) people out there. You won't see Mr A.Mug in the phone directory, but there are thousands of them out there with it tattoed on the forehead.

Apart from the one curious case mentioned on this forum (and probably part of another scam)the fraudsters who contact you are not interested in meeting you or viewing your Ford Mondeo.

Advertise in Loot, Ebay, Auto Express or Exchange&Mart and you will soon find that this scam is not restricted to vehicle sales. Selling your old International Rescue Tracey Island? a moth eaten 3 piece suite? the pine TV cabinet? the Ikea Kroggskog rug? your Cyprus Apartment for summer rental? You will also probably get a call offering you a cheque for greater than the amount asked.

It is an epidemic and probably a greater one than the much talked about Avian Flu will ever be. It is on an epic and continental scale. Someone in Buttmunch Ohio is just as likely to become a victim as someone in Husbands Bosworth.

Don't be tempted to play Sherlock Holmes, they won't take the bait. Remember they are the arch and expert scammers, you are the scam'ee. i.e. you can't kid a kidder. Don't ever be tempted to cash a cheque/draft and send the remainder off to a person you don't know, nor have never met. It won't be long before an enterprising Financial Investigation Unit from a police force local to you decides to arrest and charge victims with money laundering offences under the Proceeds of Crime Act. So, a double whammy of losing several thousands of pounds and men in badly fitted suits knocking at your door in the early hours of the morning, scaring you, the wife and the kids in the process. So, no job for you at Tiddle, Tiddle & Wink Accountants with a CRO number for dishonesty to your name.

Remember.....you haven't won the Spanish/Canadian/ Lower Mongolian lottery 'cos you didn't enter it. You haven't lost a distant relative previously unknown to you who is leaving you millions of pounds in a will, no one has over-invoiced the Nigerian Petroleum Company and willing to share the millions stolen with your goodself, and no one is ever going to offer you a cheque in excess of the amount you ask for except in the commission of a criminal act!

The offer of "something for nothing" always ends up as "nothing for something"

You would be amazed at the number of people in this world who really, really don't know that!

So, don't do it. Not even to see what happens, don't think that there is a .000001% chance of it all being OK, 'cos it ain't. Discard any notion of legal standing of you & bank where draft is cashed and you are given all clear.

Offer of cheque in excess of amount asked +western union transfer of remainder =fraud, fraud, fraud, fraud, fraud.
Car purchase scammers - AngryJonny
Tack, that was the most beautifully crafted description of this scam I've ever read. Far more entertaining than anything on telly tonight. Bravo!
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Car purchase scammers - tack
Tack, that was the most beautifully crafted description of this scam.............

Thank you kind sir for your supporting comments.

I see this type of thing day in and day out and it never, ever ceases to amaze me that people are quite willing to transact in this way. It drives me mental!

A lot of people say that people are too cynical these days. I am afraid that they are not cynical enough. People will invest in double glazed windows with security locks, an alarm system and CCTV, they will peep through the curtains 'cos a stranger has parked outside their house. But, they will send off thousands of pounds from their own bank account to a person they have never met based on a phone call or email response to their advert. Aaaargh!